• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Luck

COYS

Allan Nielsen
Now, I don't want to use this as an excuse, but boy could we do with some luck.

Why did City have to be brick today, yet still be able to beat us 5-1 back in August? Why did Arsenal suddenly find good form on the day we beat them 5-2? Why do we have to face all the struggling teams in the run-in, which will be harder than they look? Why did Lennon have to be out when we needed him the most?

I hate Arsenal.

I'm rating my own thread 5 stars, because I believe it's capable of finishing 3rd on GG

It's not all down to bad luck though. We simply haven't been good enough. You could say we were lucky to play away at Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea and Sunderland when they all played crap and were there for the taking.

It's not all down to bad luck though. We simply haven't been good enough. You could say we were lucky to play away at Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea and Sunderland when they all played crap and were there for the taking.

Yes but we've been unlucky Arsenal have suddenly just become good. We were unlucky to lose to Stoke earlier this season. We were unlucky to lose Lennon. We were unlucky that City were brick today yet good against us.

Bad calls denying us goals, bad calls gifting our opponents goals, a rash of injuries...all these things are expected. They happen in football.

However, the Modric saga unsettling the side before the start of the season? The once in a generation Tottenham riots forcing us to play our first two games against United and City, without a recognized DM? Harry's heart problems forcing him to have surgery while we laboured to a 0-0 draw with Liverpool? Harry's tax case taking its toll on the entire squad? And just after it's done, the England debacle unsettling them further?

And finally, Fabrice Muamba nearly dying on the WHL pitch?

We have laboured through more distractions and off-field problems this season than any other team in the Premier League, by a massive, massive margin. Add to all that our on-field woes (wrongly disallowed goals, injuries, and the rest) and it's clear that Lady Luck is actually an Islington skank with an Arsenal tattoo.

Sigh.

It seems fans of all clubs complain about bad luck. Liverpool hit the posts a lot, so they complain about bad luck with that. Arsenal had a bunch of injuries in the same positions for a fairly long time so they complain about that. We've had some bad lucks with offside decisions so we complain about that. Now it's the form of our opponents and our rival's opponents.

I don't believe in all that "it evens out during a season", that's just gonad*s and (to me) shows a complete lack of understanding of statistics and randomness. There will be teams during the course of a season that are unluckier than others overall, and there will be teams that are luckier than others overall, perhaps a handful of teams will experience something close enough to average luck during a season. But it will have an effect on league positions, relegation, CL and EL qualifications and title winners quite often.

It could be theoretically possible to somehow rank all these factors and make a "luck table", but it would be extremely difficult, and other than a small number of teams during a season who might be seen as obviously being lucky or unlucky based on a lot of factors I think it's very difficult to accurately judge if any team is lucky or unlucky. Of course this is even harder when you're biased towards one team as selection bias will influence thinking quite heavily.

Would much rather think about the things the club can and can't do better rather than luck.

Chelsea were lucky as fudge yesterday though. Two clear offsides given as goals while we Ade gets goals taken away from him when he's two yards onside.

Bad calls denying us goals, bad calls gifting our opponents goals, a rash of injuries...all these things are expected. They happen in football.

However, the Modric saga unsettling the side before the start of the season? The once in a generation Tottenham riots forcing us to play our first two games against United and City, without a recognized DM? Harry's heart problems forcing him to have surgery while we laboured to a 0-0 draw with Liverpool? Harry's tax case taking its toll on the entire squad? And just after it's done, the England debacle unsettling them further?

We have laboured through more distractions and off-field problems this season than any other team in the Premier League, by a massive, massive margin. Add to all that our on-field woes (wrongly disallowed goals, injuries, and the rest) and it's clear that Lady Luck is actually an Islington skank with an Arsenal tattoo.

Sigh.

Ha!

Hadn't though about it like that! Yes, it has been a more than usually eventful season in that respect.

Yeah sure we've had bad luck. Numerous perfectly good goals disallowed for offside when they are not etc etc but same has happened to other teams.

Its said you make your own luck. How many times in the last few months have we statistically dominated games and not scored only for the other team out of nowhere to grab the winner or defend stoutly till the death to deny us a goal so we end up drawing or score against the run of play so we have to come from behind and struggle for an equaliser? We have not been clinical enough too many times which has cost us points.

I've seen the same predictable pattern of play in a game too many times recently for me to put it down to luck. Other teams have found a way of winning whatever the circumstances recently at a time when we've struggled.

Sigh.

And you know what, we are still 4th with a chance to go 3rd tomorrow and an FA Cup Semi-final to look forward too. I still think we have done well this season, despite all the hexes seemingly stacked against us.

I also think there is still one more twist left in this yet, the rather well-built lady hasnt started singing yet

Back