• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

LOSSES IN MUSIC

thfcsteff

Terry Dyson
If this exists already, fold it in where appropriate, but in a week where we have lost Geordie from Killing Joke and Shane MacGowan, it needs noting that the fearless, the mavericks, the pirates, and the leaders are leaving us in increasing numbers. Everyone noted -with some accuracy- that the brick spin of the world started with Bowie's passing, but for accuracy I have to say it ACTUALLY started with Lemmy's passing two weeks prior to DB...anyway, to Geordie and Shane, two gents who have been responsible for a lot of good fudging times in my life, and some amazing music...

If this exists already, fold it in where appropriate, but in a week where we have lost Geordie from Killing Joke and Shane MacGowan, it needs noting that the fearless, the mavericks, the pirates, and the leaders are leaving us in increasing numbers. Everyone noted -with some accuracy- that the brick spin of the world started with Bowie's passing, but for accuracy I have to say it ACTUALLY started with Lemmy's passing two weeks prior to DB...anyway, to Geordie and Shane, two gents who have been responsible for a lot of good fudging times in my life, and some amazing music...
An idea that has been playing around in my head as I see one idol after another drop off the spinning disc, is that to be truly great you need to be on a trajectory of self-destruction to begin with. Or maybe a better way of putting it is that our true creative juices really only begin to flow when we let go.

Drummers. John Monham, Charlie Watts, Keith Moon, Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker. They dont make them like that anymore.
Mike Portnoy?
Aric Imprtoa from Fever 333 is damn good.
Not sure who the drummer for Russian Circles is, but his drumming is a serious tour de force

Witnessed him once as a 3 year old with my hippie parents...don't remember him sadly, but something sunk in because I love his music!

1701537281226.png The first time was this one what a concert, Jimi was amazing and i still have not seen anyone play a axe like he could. I was19 and having a great time.

My teenage years were spent listening mostly to the Pogues and the Clash. I was lucky enough to go see the Pogues live on a few occasions, as my parents had a friend who used to tour with them (even got me a signed card from the whole band!). I met MacGowan on two different occasions and while it was like a dream come true for me, as I hold him as one of the finest songwriters ever, it paradoxically made me realise how futile my anticipation was.

If someone came to you on the street and said 'Hey, I really like the way you walk', what would you answer? You always hope you'll have a great conversation or something very important will said during that evening but in reality a) placing someone on a pedal stool is no way to start a conversation and b) even if he wasn't drunk and smoking weed, he was with his mates.

As a young man, for me, it was unforgettable but he had probably forgotten everything about me as soon as I left his sight. This is why news such as these always leave me with ambiguous feelings. I remember feeling the same when I learnt about Lemmy's death (except, I never met him): I felt like something was taken away from my world but, at the same time, I couldn't help but think that people such as Lemmy or MacGowan probably lived a life they could only have dreamt of. What more could anyone ask for?

Maybe that makes me an egotistical bastard. My opinion on this isn't cast in iron. What's for certain though is that in world of AIs and laziness, creators and larger-than-life characters are getting few and far between and, for me, MacGowan was definitely both.

Technically perhaps...but not close with regards to vibe and free spirit IMO...
That's an interesting point, and one I was reflecting on last night.
I went to see Don Broco - who are a good band. I went because I heard they were really good live. It was at the UEA in Norwich, which is fabulous venue for atmosphere, it's basically just one medium sized mosh pit.

Technically the were really good. They also brought a good energy, but it was still a bit flat.
I think that, along with the drummers point, is that music has become more precise, less jam based. Part of it is also rock over the past 15ish years has become very rhythm based with bass as the driving force and a little bit of electronic. Dynamic drums and boombastic personalities don't really work with that.
(And the current generation are more into being nice and going to the gym ahead of getting coked up and taking groupies back to the tour bus)

That said....I'm seeing The Darkness next week!

Too many rock bands now playing to click tracks and it's the same songs played exactly the same in pretty much the same order every night.

Scott Weiland passed away 8 years ago today. Got lucky with him and Chris Cornell that STP and Soundgarden reformed to witness live (as well as a couple of Cornell solo gigs). Didn’t get so lucky with Layne Staley and Kurt. We’ve lost some musical behemoths in the grunge scene over the years.

This is probably a bit of an obscure one on the drummer front but Jon Lee of Feeder always comes to mind. Seemingly had everything but depression doesn’t discriminate. Loved watching him live and he was as good a human being as he was a drummer.

My teenage years were spent listening mostly to the Pogues and the Clash. I was lucky enough to go see the Pogues live on a few occasions, as my parents had a friend who used to tour with them (even got me a signed card from the whole band!). I met MacGowan on two different occasions and while it was like a dream come true for me, as I hold him as one of the finest songwriters ever, it paradoxically made me realise how futile my anticipation was.

If someone came to you on the street and said 'Hey, I really like the way you walk', what would you answer? You always hope you'll have a great conversation or something very important will said during that evening but in reality a) placing someone on a pedal stool is no way to start a conversation and b) even if he wasn't drunk and smoking weed, he was with his mates.

As a young man, for me, it was unforgettable but he had probably forgotten everything about me as soon as I left his sight. This is why news such as these always leave me with ambiguous feelings. I remember feeling the same when I learnt about Lemmy's death (except, I never met him): I felt like something was taken away from my world but, at the same time, I couldn't help but think that people such as Lemmy or MacGowan probably lived a life they could only have dreamt of. What more could anyone ask for?

Maybe that makes me an egotistical bastard. My opinion on this isn't cast in iron. What's for certain though is that in world of AIs and laziness, creators and larger-than-life characters are getting few and far between and, for me, MacGowan was definitely both.
No, you're right.
Lemmy especially was an absolute one-off. Smart, egalitarian, open to except tossers, a wonderful writer, a great entertainer, a genuinely unique and inspirational figure.
Shane was absolutely larger than life and a great writer.

Scott Weiland passed away 8 years ago today. Got lucky with him and Chris Cornell that STP and Soundgarden reformed to witness live (as well as a couple of Cornell solo gigs). Didn’t get so lucky with Layne Staley and Kurt. We’ve lost some musical behemoths in the grunge scene over the years.

This is probably a bit of an obscure one on the drummer front but Jon Lee of Feeder always comes to mind. Seemingly had everything but depression doesn’t discriminate. Loved watching him live and he was as good a human being as he was a drummer.
The young Scott Weiland was like a young bengal cat, wild, wide-eyed, fearless, enthusiastic, friendly, loud. Seeing that get squeezed out of him by forces of ignorance was very sad.

Back