• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Looking to buy my first car..... Passat 2.0 TDi 2006 70k miles for £5k, worth it?

Eriktheviking

Goran Bunjevcevic
Due to the Mrs getting a new job i need a car. I live in the portsmouth area and have seen a 70k miles 2.0 TDi passat for £6k. Ive got the cash ready and am wondering iif you have any advice on if this is a decent buy or not. I had a little go today and it was lovely. Going back first thing for a proper test drive. It is from a Skoda dealer if that counts for anything? They have knocked 1k off the list price this weekend.

From looking at some of the papers in the manual it seems it was a fleet car for the Environment Agency and was driven by a woman.

As i understand the 80k service for VW's is costly, along with the 40k.

What should i be looking for when i have a close look in the day light tomorrow? Do you have any other suggestions as to other cars that may be suitable? i need quite a big boot for my massive golf bag and trolley, diesel, a bit of 'poke' iun urban areas and is a good motorway cruiser.... not too bothered for age. I was thinking a volvo????

Due to the Mrs getting a new job i need a car. I live in the portsmouth area and have seen a 70k miles 2.0 TDi passat for £6k. Ive got the cash ready and am wondering iif you have any advice on if this is a decent buy or not. I had a little go today and it was lovely. Going back first thing for a proper test drive. It is from a Skoda dealer if that counts for anything? They have knocked 1k off the list price this weekend.

From looking at some of the papers in the manual it seems it was a fleet car for the Environment Agency and was driven by a woman.

As i understand the 80k service for VW's is costly, along with the 40k.

What should i be looking for when i have a close look in the day light tomorrow? Do you have any other suggestions as to other cars that may be suitable? i need quite a big boot for my massive golf bag and trolley, diesel, a bit of 'poke' iun urban areas and is a good motorway cruiser.... not too bothered for age. I was thinking a volvo????

you could get a cool Alfa 159 for that much and look much better and are, contrary to rather old and aged popular fudgein beliefs, much more reliable nowadays. Although can be costly in fuel terms and maybe service but doubt you will be servicing your car at the dealer.

Do you have any kids? And as a first car, not sure but a 2.0 engine may hike up your insurance. Looks like a biggish car too, are you comfortable with that?

Just bought my long overdue first car last month. Lifestyle changing!

70k on a modern Diesel engine is barely a drop in the ocean, so it should be sound. Skoda is VW owned. So no surprise to see a VW in their used forecourt. Passat is a decent pedigree and a pretty safe choice if you are looking for a family motor and the price is there or there abouts as long as you are happy with the spec.

Do you have any kids? And as a first car, not sure but a 2.0 engine may hike up your insurance. Looks like a biggish car too, are you comfortable with that?

Just bought my long overdue first car last month. Lifestyle changing!

Nope no kids but i do go on alot of golf trips with all the gear!

As for a 2.0 tdi being first car, im nearly 30 and have either never needed a car of my own so just shared her tdi golf. Insurance on passat is £540 which is a steal imho considering the circumstances.

seems a little expensive, unless its from a dealer and has some extras, warranty, insurance, breakdown cover etc

i bought an 03 2.0l mondeo tdci ghia, 56k on the clock, FSH, last year for 3995 from a dealer with 3yr warranty and a years tax so deals are out there if you look

looks like i paid a fair price. Full VW stamped service history as well. Test drove it and has more poke than our 1.9 TDi golf. Massive bootspace for 2/3 sets of golf bats and passengers Very smooth on the motorway only doing 2k rpm at 80 in 6th gear. I was quite happy using it around town as well. 1 Lady owner from new, motorway mileage.

Sure this particular one lacks cruise control and a couple of other extras but i think one has to look beyond the bells and whistles and make sure the engine and condition is top rate.

Back