• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Living in Manchester

nayenezgani

Jimmy Neighbour
Planning on living and finding work in the digital/creative industry.. Thoughts and experiences please?

I know London is hard to beat, but circumstances leave me looking in the midlands/north.

Potentially thinking of living in a town on the outskirts like Altringham or similar.

Be kind. :)

Planning on living and finding work in the digital/creative industry.. Thoughts and experiences please?

I know London is hard to beat, but circumstances leave me looking in the midlands/north.

Potentially thinking of living in a town on the outskirts like Altringham or similar.

Are you able to be more specific on digital/creative? As in advertising/marketing?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Can not cover any thoughts on jobs but i lived in the M/C area for a while. If you are looking to live on the outskirts then Timperly is nice and not far from Altrincham, a bit further out is Hales Barn ( a bit more upmarket) ( a few footballers live out there).

That doesn't sound like a location-dependent job.

Can't you just do that remotely from somewhere nice?

Possibly yes, but my other half has family in the north and part of us moving over here is allowing her to be close to them for a bit.

Plus I prefer working on projects within a team, face to face. You generally get better outcomes, despite the line of work.

I'd go for either south west or east Cheshire.

South West Cheshire - around Peckforton/Beeston

East Cheshire - the line from Cheadle Hulme through to Buxton (A6 route through Disley and Chapel-en-le-Frith)

Manchester is fairly easy to commute into/relatively car friendly

Once I come to terms with the fact I can't afford to buy in London on my own, I think Manchester will be the option for me.

Seems like the only place in the UK that is good enough for entertainment.

Manchester is definitely fugly

There are lots of great things about moving outside of London though - big houses (3-4 rooms per person, compared to London cupboard-size fold-down bed bedsits), parking everywhere, snot that isn't black. Just general living space really

Manchester is definitely fugly

There are lots of great things about moving outside of London though - big houses (3-4 rooms per person, compared to London cupboard-size fold-down bed bedsits), parking everywhere, snot that isn't black. Just general living space really
I don't miss the black snot since living further out. Everything I save on a mortgage allows me to travel in and stay somewhere nice whenever I want to go out, see a show, etc too.

Wouldn't advocate moving North still though.

Manchester airport is great too. It's only a few minutes from the city centre and you can always get cheap flights to most places you want to go.

It's usually cheaper and often doesn't take that much longer for me to go to say the San Siro or Nou Camp for a match, rather than WHL. Because you don't need to get 'through London' first, travel to most places nationally and internationally should be easier. Basically leaving London makes you less parochial

Manchester airport is great too. It's only a few minutes from the city centre and you can always get cheap flights to most places you want to go.

It's usually cheaper and often doesn't take that much longer for me to go to say the San Siro or Nou Camp for a match, rather than WHL. Because you don't need to get 'through London' first, travel to most places nationally and internationally should be easier. Basically leaving London makes you less parochial
And by that I guess you mean number of flights/destinations? Because in every other aspect, it's one of the worst airports I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot.

I can’t imagine anyone finding a better outcome by working face to face with you. Unless they land a head butt of course.

Manchester is a step in the right direction though. Scotland even better. Or the Hebrides. How about getting in the North Sea itself. Just be sure it’s nowhere with internet connectivity basically.

Digital design and development. Building stuff for the web :)

Ah ok, I don't know enough about the region itself in terms of living but if you haven't already I'd suggest checking out BBC Manchester's Digital department, they were hiring loads in London and a fair bit has moved up there!

Some agencies include CSI Media, Forever Digital and Dept. I don't know anything first-hand about these agencies but they seemed to be names that came up when I've worked on the adland side of things.

Back