• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Levy's "harshly" sacked managers...

Because if the manager is unsuccessful long term or he fires managers to early then surely the person who hires these managers has to be culpable at some point? I fully accept he can be a brilliant chairman at times who pulls off some fantastic deals for the club, but the man has also made some monumental **** ups down the years and whenever he is questioned you get pro Levy posters responding with pathetic throwaway one liners like 'bring back Sugar". Such a straw man arguement. Find me one Spurs fan who would want Sugar back at the club.

All this talk of him being the best chairman in the country, shouldn't someone like Bill Kenwright be mentioned more frequently considering Everton have finished in the top 4 only once less than we have, on a fraction of the budget we have, has to sell the best player nearly every season, doesn't make kneejerk decisions and has made 2 extremely shrewd choices as managers in the last 15 years, SO FAR.

Having a successful, long serving manager is an abberation these days. You'll find far more clubs having been successful while going through several managers in the process. It's not about finding that one guy and sticking with him for a decade, it's about cutting short any slumps and avoiding numerous squad re-builds and transitional seasons.

Every manager will have periods when things aren't going well. It is very likely that we will regress to mean in time, but can it happen sooner if we change the manager? Wenger would most likely have been sacked at most other clubs. Even if they're doing well now, was it really worth all the trophyless years? Could a change have improved them sooner?

The quality of the playing squad is far more important. The benefit of a DoF structure and a more long term approach to transfers is getting better value for our money. We no longer have to sell off a large portion of our squad at a massive loss simply because the new guy doesn't like them. Nor are we likely to be saddled with a lot of high earners in their 30s.
Levy has learned his lessons the hard way with players like Bentley.

Having a successful, long serving manager is an abberation these days. You'll find far more clubs having been successful while going through several managers in the process. It's not about finding that one guy and sticking with him for a decade, it's about cutting short any slumps and avoiding numerous squad re-builds and transitional seasons.

Every manager will have periods when things aren't going well. It is very likely that we will regress to mean in time, but can it happen sooner if we change the manager? Wenger would most likely have been sacked at most other clubs. Even if they're doing well now, was it really worth all the trophyless years? Could a change have improved them sooner?

The quality of the playing squad is far more important. The benefit of a DoF structure and a more long term approach to transfers is getting better value for our money. We no longer have to sell off a large portion of our squad at a massive loss simply because the new guy doesn't like them. Nor are we likely to be saddled with a lot of high earners in their 30s.
Levy has learned his lessons the hard way with players like Bentley.

And what do you make of the stories claiming AVB didn't want 4 of the 7 "Beatles" we signed in the summer? Even if you rubbish the stories, AVB's response to questions of this nature were telling, he didn't flat out say it, but you could tell he wanted to say something. One thing I do give AVB credit for is he comes across as a manager who would always back his chairman in public even if he shared some concerns in private. Not the worse thing in the world to publicly disagree with the chairman, but it's better for the club if manager and chairman are on the same page, at least in public.

How can it possibly be a good thing when players are signed without the manager's consent or his views are just ignored altogether?

It's not about sticking with managers for 10 years regardless of form or success, but if you sack manager after manager, usually after 1-3 years then surely that tells you the manager hasn't moved the club forward?:

Hoddle- No

Santini- Can't possibly say, DoF structure once again led to problems

Jol- Did a very good job at first, took us as far as he could. But we did progress under him without question

Ramos- Definite NO

Redknapp- I would say a resounding yes

AVB- Par at first, looks like we've gone backwards this season.

According to Ferdinand, AVB agreed on all our signings. Whether they were his top wishes is immaterial.

It's not the manager's job to move the club forward. Long term progress will happen regardless as long as the people above him do their part and we have moved forwards under Levy. Continued improvement over a decade without the occasional bump only happens in Football Manager.

The main problem with the DoF setup at Spurs is the fact that none of them have been there long enough to really make a significant contribution.

Arnesen was poached, but he did a pretty good job in his time here.

Comolli was sacked over Ramos. Kneejerk IMO, but I don't know how his relationship with Levy was at the time.

Baldini has only just started.

We will at times reach a point where a change in manager will be the best way of stabilizing the club or help us kick on a bit. What's important is that we don't jump from one footballing philosophy to another. We build a squad to play a certain type of football and hire coaches that can help with that. I've been involved in enough job interviews to know that you haven't really got a scooby about what kind of person you're hiring, so obviously every appointment won't appear to be the correct one.

According to Ferdinand, AVB agreed on all our signings. Whether they were his top wishes is immaterial.

It's not the manager's job to move the club forward. Long term progress will happen regardless as long as the people above him do their part and we have moved forwards under Levy. Continued improvement over a decade without the occasional bump only happens in Football Manager.

The main problem with the DoF setup at Spurs is the fact that none of them have been there long enough to really make a significant contribution.

Arnesen was poached, but he did a pretty good job in his time here.

Comolli was sacked over Ramos. Kneejerk IMO, but I don't know how his relationship with Levy was at the time.

Baldini has only just started.

We will at times reach a point where a change in manager will be the best way of stabilizing the club or help us kick on a bit. What's important is that we don't jump from one footballing philosophy to another. We build a squad to play a certain type of football and hire coaches that can help with that. I've been involved in enough job interviews to know that you haven't really got a scooby about what kind of person you're hiring, so obviously every appointment won't appear to be the correct one.

Sorry but I can't quite fathom how you can say it isn't a problem. The manager has to work with the players and the manager is the one who decides what style of play/system the team employs. Like having slow defenders in a system where a manager likes to play a high defensive line for example, or AVB not picking Lamela despite being gifted and promising arguably because he never wanted him in the first place.

Comolli's sacking was justified, he left us with an unbalanced albeit talented squad and we were bottom of the league.

There's no way of knowing if a manager will succeed, but if he doesn't then you have to come to the conclusion that he was the wrong choice.

I don't know if you caught the press conference from the Liverpool game, but it was clear when AVB was asked if the signings were all his that he felt the opposite.

Because if the manager is unsuccessful long term or he fires managers to early then surely the person who hires these managers has to be culpable at some point? I fully accept he can be a brilliant chairman at times who pulls off some fantastic deals for the club, but the man has also made some monumental **** ups down the years and whenever he is questioned you get pro Levy posters responding with pathetic throwaway one liners like 'bring back Sugar". Such a straw man arguement. Find me one Spurs fan who would want Sugar back at the club.

All this talk of him being the best chairman in the country, shouldn't someone like Bill Kenwright be mentioned more frequently considering Everton have finished in the top 4 only once less than we have, on a fraction of the budget we have, has to sell the best player nearly every season, doesn't make kneejerk decisions and has made 2 extremely shrewd choices as managers in the last 15 years, SO FAR.

Agree with all of that, great shout on Kenwright too. I used to think Levy was by far the best chairman in the country, but assessing it again, it's hard to argue Kenwright hasn't done a better job considering the respective situations.

[video=youtube;eUSf5eXgZ-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUSf5eXgZ-4[/video]

7:15 - Is this your team?

AVB: "I'm not sure I can make it public, but we've worked hard to build a strong team"

AVB wanted a load of players we couldn't afford to pay or who weren't interested. The fact he couldn't adapt his formation etc to suit what we had was a problem which both sides are guilty of. If he had said "I want a left footed wide player" and we bought him a right footed left wing forward then yes he would've been screwed, however he likely said "I want Hulk" to which the board politely refused due to wages etc and got Lamela. I was never against the man, but with all these stories coming out it stikes me that the man is rigid regarding his tactics and only very specific players can fit, most of whom worked under him back at Porto.

AVB wanted a load of players we couldn't afford to pay or who weren't interested. The fact he couldn't adapt his formation etc to suit what we had was a problem which both sides are guilty of. If he had said "I want a left footed wide player" and we bought him a right footed left wing forward then yes he would've been screwed, however he likely said "I want Hulk" to which the board politely refused due to wages etc and got Lamela. I was never against the man, but with all these stories coming out it stikes me that the man is rigid regarding his tactics and only very specific players can fit, most of whom worked under him back at Porto.

I do agree with most of this, you make some valid points. It certainly looks like AVB is a bit rigid, but he's early in his career and may very well change.

Of course managers can't get every player they wish for, but it's equally wrong to have a player forced upon them, here's x player, live with it.

Seems like AVB is being a little bitch: "Oh no, I'm a great manager. The problem is all these players I didn't want. Although I did specifically ask for Baldini to be at the club, and one of the current coaches says I'm talking a load of old b*llocks. Nevermind that the performance level is the same as last season, without Bale to gloss over it."

What a f ucking mug. He had no clue.

You've never made your disdain for AVB a secret, but now that you and the short term, now-now-now, whingers have your way, you can at least leave the bloke alone.. ****ing classless.

I won't name names, I have learnt from that.. But if you feel the need to enquire, you're probably on the right track.

Then its probably best to avoid doing and saying things like that to someone on the board as i have been advised

I too have learnt a LOT from this.

Agree with all of that, great shout on Kenwright too. I used to think Levy was by far the best chairman in the country, but assessing it again, it's hard to argue Kenwright hasn't done a better job considering the respective situations.

But aren't the respective situations somewhat linked to the chairmens competence?

Good post SUIYHA. This 'typical Tottenham/Levy' thing that has been going round has been annoying me too. Under Jol we were 18th after 10 games with 1 win, under Ramos we were bottom with 2 points after 8 games, and with Redknapp it was clearly personal.

This is perhaps the first sacking which seems ruthless/unfair/unjustified, but the more you hear in the papers (if you believe them) the more it sounds like there was much more to it than league position or even performances in and of themselves.

Good post SUIYHA. This 'typical Tottenham/Levy' thing that has been going round has been annoying me too. Under Jol we were 18th after 10 games with 1 win, under Ramos we were bottom with 2 points after 8 games, and with Redknapp it was clearly personal.

This is perhaps the first sacking which seems ruthless/unfair/unjustified, but the more you hear in the papers (if you believe them) the more it sounds like there was much more to it than league position or even performances in and of themselves.

good post, very fair

Back