• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Leveson

Contraversial opinion. And judging by the hour it was posted possibly influenced by alcohol.

I can't believe no one has replied to this! What has happened to random!

Contraversial opinion. And judging by the hour it was posted possibly influenced by alcohol.

I can't believe no one has replied to this! What has happened to random!

Yes, I'd had a beer but it was still a carefully considered post, I feel they were virtually complicit in their daughter's abduction by way of negligence. I hate the gutter press with a vengeance but in this instance I think they caught the mood of the people rather than influenced it.

Should the press be judge and jury? Of course not, but at the same time McCann had his own particularly odious spin doctor involved in media manipulation too, and as was highlighted at the time the press gave him a relatively light ride as a doctor in comparison to the treatment a single mum from a council estate would have received.

Gotta say I agree with Camerons stance re: regulation. As soon as it starts it will never stop. Introduce light regulation now, next time the press do something stupid (which they inevitably will) the regulation will get tougher and so on...

I agree on the concept of regulation, just have to see how it works in practice.

The press in the UK thinks itself as above the law. Get something wrong, write a bricky apology and move on. They will make a decision to print something based on how much the fine could be vs how much they will make in sales. The PCC is largely toothless, a pointless body at the moment.

No one deserves their phone hacked unless it is by government and under VERY strict 'national security' guidelines - and even then it is dodgy ground - definitely not by some taco in a bad suit trying to write a story. What business is it of anyone's if some singer is cheating on his wife. Sad that this has become news.

The press may claim their art is dying, it's because the skills are not necessary any more. Some of the pieces are worthless and pointless. The skills are selling ads, dredging up gossip and manipulating photos. It isn't really in investigative reporting. Although it should be. They can adapt to the new media age and be better than bloggers or sources on twitter, do some actual work instead of churning out page filler.

Gotta say I agree with Camerons stance re: regulation. As soon as it starts it will never stop. Introduce light regulation now, next time the press do something stupid (which they inevitably will) the regulation will get tougher and so on...

I like Ian Hislop's stance on it. Many of the excesses of the press over the last 25 years or so were illegal, the law was simply not enforced because the police and politicians were all too close to the likes of Murdoch. So, in my opinion the press in this country is already regulated by statute but no-one is doing the regulating.

Regarding the quality of our press as opposed to ethics and legitimacy, if macarons didn't buy the muck they produce then that particular style of journalism would be allowed to die.

It's quite saddening that we put our children through eleven years of schooling plus years of further education only for to buy the trash that the red tops sell.

Cameron doesn't want to bring the regulations in for the simple reason that he will need the backing of Murdoch to win the election come 2015. Like it or not, the majority of the people in this country are swayed by what they read in the rags. It's a sad state of affiars, but they have a lot of power in the way the country is ran

=D>

Pure scum IMO

The McCann's are child abusers

Honest truth, it took me ages to adapt to being a dad. A dad? Try grown up for starters. I used to have this philosophy that I was on it or off it. And when I was on it it could be a family do, a christening, an eightieth, anything. I always knew the missus had the kid's back first of all and mine if she had the time, or vice versa. In short, don't go on the tinkle with kids in tow without one of you being responsible adult, if you want or need to go on the tinkle leave the kids with appropriate carers. That is what I find so unforgivable about the McCanns, have an adult holiday and leave kids with the in laws, or, have a family holiday, but don't have an adult holiday and leave the kids alone, locked in (not very well obviously) while you go on the sauce.

That is why I struggle to see the Gerry and Kate as victims.

thats the thing, there is a line and they were not even close, you can't be with your children 100% of the time, you have to trust them to others, but you have to make that decision with the care and attention it deserves

I like Ian Hislop's stance on it. Many of the excesses of the press over the last 25 years or so were illegal, the law was simply not enforced because the police and politicians were all too close to the likes of Murdoch. So, in my opinion the press in this country is already regulated by statute but no-one is doing the regulating.

Regarding the quality of our press as opposed to ethics and legitimacy, if macarons didn't buy the muck they produce then that particular style of journalism would be allowed to die.

It's quite saddening that we put our children through eleven years of schooling plus years of further education only for to buy the trash that the red tops sell.

I agree with pretty much every word of what you just wrote. We get the press we deserve, because they only do unethical things because people want it.

Another important thing is that most of the stuff they did, i.e. phone hacking, is illegal and people are going through criminal courts for it. The press doesn't need regulation, it needs to be prosecuted when laws are broken and that problem is rooted in the police not the press.

The only 'regulation' I want is something about apologies and something about costs to sue papers, but if that requires MPs to make laws then I would have to think twice. I think a good system would be to have a legal aid fund set up so whenever a newspaper has to pay someone for libel or whateve r(i.e. Louis Walshs £400k) an equal amount should go into the fund for others to use for legal action

Equal space and prominence for apologies. If the papers had to put apologies for a false front page story on the front page with the same sized headline and position, with a byline stating the journalists and editors who wrote and approved the story, they would be more careful. It would be embarrassing to have a series of leaders apologising. Burying an anonymous apology at the bottom of p23 amid a host of ads doesn't have the same effect.

I agree with both the posts above re apologies.

Not so sure about the press line that any form of legislation is the thin end of the wedge, had the press behaved in a noble fashion in the past I'd buy more into their fanciful notion of us requiring a free and unshackled press to enable them to go about their good works. My understanding of the legislation that Leveson was suggesting was simply making any voluntary code of practice the press enters into legally enforceable, the message I'm getting back from the press is that they don't feel they can adhere to any code of conduct they themselves draw up.

Do you know how much of the land around their complex was concreted, or being concreted, in the days after she went missing the has, to this day, has never been dug up? Not rocket science what happened. They overdosed her on sleeping pills as they often gave her so she would sleep better.

Cameron has had a bit of a mare with the Leveson inquiry imo. He sets up an enquiry, tells his critics that they should at least wait for the inquiry to publish its recommendations, tells everyone (including the victims of phone hacking that he met) that he would accept the Leveson inquiry findings.....And then refuses to accept the findings.

Really?

Do you know how much of the land around their complex was concreted, or being concreted, in the days after she went missing the has, to this day, has never been dug up? Not rocket science what happened. They overdosed her on sleeping pills as they often gave her so she would sleep better.
I'd choose your words very carefully if I were you!

This is the biggest problem with the press. There are enough options out there for people to vote with their feet (or wallets) but whilst most are happy to condemn the press for their behaviour, very few will stop reading the junk they produce.

Back