• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Learning Piano

raboner

Banned
I have decided to take up piano lessons (it's never too late, right? 8-[)

I have a few questions for any of the musically talented GG'ers out there:-

- How long should it usually take to progress to the level of a competent pianist? (i realise this could be hard to gauge.)

- What kind of keyboard should I purchase to practice on? My teacher said i really must get one with weighted keys, i'm leaning towards a casio, but not too sure which model to go for.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- How often should i practice and what are any general tips and tricks for making as rapid progress as possible?

I have always loved music and wanted to take up piano most of my life, but have never managed to get around to it.

Many thanks.

if you're not going to answer with a constructive response, please don't bother answering at all.. thanks mate.

gee whiz! really mature and level headed responses from the usual suspects.. i am shocked, i really am. :rolleyes:

if you're not going to answer with a constructive response, please don't bother answering at all.. thanks mate.

Ok "mate".

Piano teachers believe the neurological stimulation helps with musical intelligence in adults

Or in other words, if you were good at sports as a child, you have an advantage

As for which piano. It depends on your budget.

At the lower end, a Casio is a solid choice, but I would probably recommend a Yamaha (which you should find slightly cheaper)

Mid-range (£1K), I'd probably plump for a Korg.

If you were good at sports, you might want to double your budget and go for a Roland G8.

Sorry for wasting your time.

i was good at some sports, not so good at others.. so i don't really know how to answer that question clearly.. i never struggled with coordination, however i did struggle with physicality at times.

i apologise for replying to your initial post in a snippy manor, i wasn't sure what you were alluding to. if you had of just posted as you did above, i wouldn't have been confused.

anyway, thank you for your feedback. it's appreciated. i will probably still go for a casio, as i've heard the yamaha's can sometimes not give quite as true a 'piano' feel and sound as the casio. any truth to this?

thanks again.

i bought a keyboard in september and have pretty much taught myself how to play and can already play a couple beethoven pieces.. how much should should u practice??... alot. if u dont have much time, say a couple hrs per week its best to do little bits every day rather than once p/w.

good luck, i cant stop playing mine

My Mrs said all of the above so I bought her a £1k keyboard for her birthday

She's played it about 4 times in 2 years

Fuking women.

Fuking women.

I hauled the Mrs' freakin' piano here from her parents house, the thing must have weighed more than the van I drove it in. It's a nice shelf to put pictures on, and that's about it.

Fuking women.

Mine too if you replace the 4 with a 0.

I'm also thinking of taking it up, I assume being reasonably competent at playing guitar helps? Never read music though, is that difficult?

Mine too if you replace the 4 with a 0.

I'm also thinking of taking it up, I assume being reasonably competent at playing guitar helps? Never read music though, is that difficult?

It's not difficult, but it's difficult to do at speed i.e. sight reading and coordinating that to your hands on the keyboard. Unlike guitar there's no real alternative like tablature, so it's really just practice.

Back