• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

Because they thought they had a better player lined up... maybe it was that simple???

Not particularly - they always wanted two RBs, if I recall correctly. Walker was always a target, alongside one other. Suddenly the top target for the second RB role turned them down. It was Levy that had the advantage in that situation, not Khaldoon Al-Mubarak or whoever it is that does City's negotiating.

Point being, Walker was always a target, so if the Sheikh wanted to spend money like water, he could have. But City were haggling for the past three weeks - I think that indicates that they are at least somewhat sensitive to prices, and that we could have (and likely did) use that to gouge them on this deal, whatever they may say about it.

Jeez all these knickers in a twist over a few million.

Let's move on, now it's all about who we bring in

I kind of agree with you, and I'm sure Poch does too but I see the other side too.

10 years ago the big clubs came to us and took out best players whenever they felt like it. Carrick, Berbatov, Keane.

We only stopped that with the Modric and Bale transfers by refusing to sell to other English clubs. Modric went to Real for less than what Chelsea were offering the year before. Levy got the reputation for getting eye watering fees out of other clubs. No one wanted to deal with us.

Now it looks like that is over. If a club can unsettle a player enough that Poch wants him gone then Levy will sell.

I kind of agree with you, and I'm sure Poch does too but I see the other side too.

10 years ago the big clubs came to us and took out best players whenever they felt like it. Carrick, Berbatov, Keane.

We only stopped that with the Modric and Bale transfers by refusing to sell to other English clubs. Modric went to Real for less than what Chelsea were offering the year before. Levy got the reputation for getting eye watering fees out of other clubs. No one wanted to deal with us.

Now it looks like that is over. If a club can unsettle a player enough that Poch wants him gone then Levy will sell.

Spot on (save for the last line, which I think is still a bit too pessimistic). It's about the precedent, not about the fee, per se. Never budge on looking like a mad dog, too dangerous to bother with.

Bilbao are much like us in that regard - they are renowned as absolutely impossible to negotiate with in most cases, since they'll just point to the (usually high) release clause and say 'pay it'. That works for them, though, because it enables them to keep some players (like Aymeric Laporte, Iker Munain and Inaki Wiliams) even amidst interest from bigger clubs - the players understand Bilbao's policy, their managers understand it and other clubs understand it.

We have a *good* thing going by being known as hard to deal with - it keeps the rich clubs from thinking we're a doormat that they can trample over while muttering sweet nothings about how 'reasonable' we are for a selling club. I hope we keep that image up in the years to come, since it's one of the best things Levy has created during his time at Spurs, imo.

Agree and don't, Bale and Modric went to the best club in the world which had just as much to do with them not going to a rival than our refusal, in Walkers case he wants to go to City, been in his mind for a while, which again is a huge factor in this deal and unlike Bale and Modric he does not have a Madrid or Bayern offering an alternative to his preferences.

From the Guardian...

"Even within football’s gilded bubble, though, this is a deal that stands out. Walker is 27. He’s only ever scored five goals (now, perhaps this is a sign that football has at last realised that goals are not the be all and end all of a player’s worth, but the point is that Walker is not merely not Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, he is not even Stuart Pearce or Steve Nicol). He’s won only 27 England caps (he may be the clear first-choice right-back now but a year ago nobody would have been overly concerned if Roy Hodgson had preferred Nathaniel Clyne). And yet now he’s the most expensive defender in history".

From the Guardian...

"Even within football’s gilded bubble, though, this is a deal that stands out. Walker is 27. He’s only ever scored five goals (now, perhaps this is a sign that football has at last realised that goals are not the be all and end all of a player’s worth, but the point is that Walker is not merely not Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, he is not even Stuart Pearce or Steve Nicol). He’s won only 27 England caps (he may be the clear first-choice right-back now but a year ago nobody would have been overly concerned if Roy Hodgson had preferred Nathaniel Clyne). And yet now he’s the most expensive defender in history".

Well if you put like that!:);)

From the Guardian...

Walker's price is more indicative of the market than his ability, so the most expensive defender in history line lacks context and is already becoming a little over dramatic.

Well I think that's a big sign of how much power Poch has at the club......Levy would never have sanctioned the Sissoko transfer at that price last summer and wouldn't have let Walker go so early in this window. Levy is showing faith in Poch. Isn't that what most of the people that b!tch about Levy have been crying out for in all these years?

Modric and Bale agreed to go abroad. Not all players will want to move abroad when they eventually leave. I don't see Harry going abroad, not Dele either. Eriksen has always had ambitions to play in another league so he might be tempted to Spain, Germany or Italy.

Levy will never sell a player to Chelski or Arse and I doubt he wants to deal with Utd again. City are the only ones I see Levy reluctantly dealing with for the moment. In a way as i said before this doesn't help in bumping up the price because if only one club is allowed to realisticly have a chance of buying a player they can bid less than if they had competition for the player

I think Walker is the best right-back in the league overall and we will probably be weaker for selling him.

HOWEVER -- most of the teams we play are worse than us and will be on the back foot. If we are playing 3 at the back, then Trippier in the wing-back role arguably improves us in these games, because he is a more creative player than Walker.

Against good sides, Trippier is weaker than Walker as he isn't as good defensively. An option might be, if we play with a back four, to use Dier at right-back for those games (a bit like how Guardiola used to put Puyol at right-back to deal with Ronaldo, years ago).

That all assumes we don't go out and buy another full-back. IMO, we don't have to necessarily.

I don't agree. This is more like Chelsea selling Mata. A good player, respected by the club and the fans, but at the end of the day the manager wasn't losing much sleep over letting him go.

Poch seems to be fine with this, and has known it was going to happen for a while. He almost wanted it to happen, and he proved by using Tripper that if a player wants to sulk, he doesn't get his own way, there is another player willing to work for the team and take that place.

This transfer as much as it is about Walker going is also about Poch reinforcing his authority, and that, as much as anything else is what will keep us being successful.

Sorry to see him go, although it seems a decent price and I've got faith in Trips to do the job.

Could live without hearing how wonderful Pep is and how he's going to teach him to become a better player blah blah blah.

Personally really gutted, great servant and always gave everything on the pitch, really surprised at some peoples reaction to him tbh, have we seen that many better RBs at Spurs?? We had great competition at full back and I feel that is one of the reasons they all performed to such a high level whenever they got the opportunities.

Pereira for me is still a risk hitting the ground running in the prem and Walker-Peters is still young, it took Walker 4/5 years to achieve the impact he did!! Lets hope Trippier doesn't get injured pre-season!

Back