• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kony 2012

Haven't watched it yet (it's half an hour long?) but amazed at how popular this is. Haven't heard of Kony before this morning but its all over my twitter and facebook now.

There's a backlash now, apparently the organisation involved funded the uguandan army, who apparently rape and pillage and other not so fun stuff.

There's a backlash now, apparently the organisation involved funded the uguandan army, who apparently rape and pillage and other not so fun stuff.

I haven't watched the video and probably won't, but its fun watching everyone get all high and mighty on facebook about whatever this stuff is

Shows the power of social media. All over my Facebook today. People are even posting articles disputing the cause too

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/should-i-donate-money-to-kony-2012-or-not

I think it's great that they're doing something tbh. There have been so many wars in Africa that don't affect us in any way that when you hear yet another story about child solders somewhere on the continent then you become desensitised to it. There have been lots of other people like Joseph Kony to do things like this in Africa but they get away with it because the only people who know their names or even their organisations are the ones who are suffering because of them, and those people are powerless to do anything about it. Only now does the world have its infrastructure in place to make people aware about this sort of thing, and even if it is in the form of a few pompous guys preaching to us, if it works and stops things like this happening then it'll be worth it.

Regardless of the charities motivation some of the scenes and interviews with the kids are shocking. Kind of stuff that makes you feel incredibly lucky to have had the benefit of a western upbringing

Sent from my Nexus S using Fapatalk

And you are all aware that this is something that originated back in 2003, and not the last 2 months, are you?

And you are all aware that this is something that originated back in 2003, and not the last 2 months, are you?
Kony's been known for donkey's now - but the amount of people that know now of him due to this 'campaign' is frightening. I certainly didn't.

There have been lots of other people like Joseph Kony to do things like this in Africa but they get away with it because the only people who know their names or even their organisations are the ones who are suffering because of them, and those people are powerless to do anything about it.
Do you really think they are not known of by governments?

Very moving campaign, and im right behind bringing this piece of brick down.

But why now? The LRA and Kony have been inactive since 2006

Am I the only person in the world that still doesn't know what "Kony" is?

Somebody posted this on Facebook, but I still don't have a clue

vz2j9.jpg

I guarentee 90% of the people demanding action are the same people demanding us to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan because it is costing us so much money.

fudging hypocrites

Mad ass crackhead in African rape shocker. Why is everyone going apebrick about this guy Kony, when Mugabe has been responsive for the deaths of hundreds of thousands for decades?

Here's a fact, the average life expectancy for a male in Zimbabwe is 38.

While awareness is always good, its just the latest trend to be against, and forward around the social networks. Then in 6 months, no one gives a f#ck again.

Anyone still outraged by blood diamonds?

This was intended largely for Uni kids and the younger Facebook generation. Hence the shallow, glossy, overly emotive style of the video. It turned me off but the ensuing debate sucked me back in. It is massively successful, even in ways they had not predicted. The message is well and truly out and as it continues to be debunked and discussed so succeeds the campaign to make this unpleasant Kony chap notorious. The film was created by 3 fellas who had gone to Sudan to do some filming back in 2003. They heard abnout the LRA and the issues in Uganda and decided that it would make a good piece. It is not Governmental in any way and they have presented their story and carried out this viral experiment by touring the US Campuses pushing their film and the charity that they built up in 2005. They have made a good few mistakes and with sudden fame comes the expected research and investigation. They have had to act quickly to answer their critics and attempt to add greater transparency to thir cause.

I know people who have worked on the ground in Uganda and they assure me there are tangible benefits there for the people that are the product of funds raised from this campaign. I was very worried when I saw the nature of this campaign and dig some digging. It is just as easy to believe the critics as it is to get swept up by the film and to buy a bracelet or info pack. This coming together does force IC to present a more transparent front, to answer questions and justify their spending. The marketing of the project has alone cost more than they have so far raised. Who to give money to with non profits is a minefield. Who gives the best value for moneey ? What percentage of your ?ú1 actually makes it to help those featured ? How capable are the non profit of actually delivering what they buy ?? We know of the problems throughout Afica where much aid is simply looted and sold on the blackmarket to further fund arms and munitions in civil wars. Tis a tricky one. I loathed the film, as I found its style horribly collegiate American and deeply tossy. Then I am 38, in the UK and not it's initial target market at all. It was initially an American exercise. The very fact we know about this guy is a success in education but they still need to run a creditable charity and to achieve their primary goal of having him captured and removing the entire rebel threat.

The rebs themselves I believe have now been ousted from Uganda and reside in the jungles of Congo where the fight continues, albeit with the obvious regional restrictions. The film would have been better highlighting what they have achieved because as others have mentioned it made the viewer think that much of this was current and it clearly is a litle out os date. At least they do now have the ability to communicate the movements of Kony if he tries to cross back across the border because a netowrk of rural RF radio stations maintains a vigilant early warning system.

The IC do reply: "None of the money donated through Invisible Children ever goes to the government of Uganda or any other government. Yet the only feasible and proper way to stop Kony and protect the civilians he targets is to coordinate efforts with regional governments". It is a little bit ambiguous. Even when you don't direclty fund a Government like that in Uganda you often find you are indirectly. There is no way that film could be made without 'coordinating efforts with regional governments' and in Africa that usually comes with a price.

It does at least make us think about where we donate money and how trusting we are. I know very little about Oxfam, Children in Need, Cancer Research etc etc. Where does my money go ? What percentage actually goes where I wish it to and at what cost ?

Back