• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Knee jerk thread,

Most our attacking movement is poor though. We are completely dependant on Lennon and Bale.

Dempsey scored the winner away against Manchester United and also scored the winner in our last EPL game away against SCBC.

And even so he has been a terrible signing for us. I can't think of one good game he has had for us

If he scores the winner in 2 of our next 9 games then that will do for me. That is not "dogbrick" form.

Just watched the highlights. He narrowly missed in the 1st half and he hit a hard shot penalty that got saved and Hazard had a soft shot that scored.
The team is currently not set in a unit that suits him and Sig.
I hope the fans at WHL do not get on his back.

edit
Dempsey made his debut as a sub in the 78th minute against Reading.
His first start was against QPR so he has made 5 starts in the EPL and scored the winner in 2 of them.
Is that correct?

Last edited:
Really liked how Falque looked today. Very similar to Lennon in style, though probably not quite as quick. Good shot on him as well.

Two great shots that had to be properly saved in the highlights. Looks confident which is essential.

If he scores the winner in 2 of our next 9 games then that will do for me. That is not "dogbrick" form.

Just watched the highlights. He narrowly missed in the 1st half and he hit a hard shot penalty that got saved and Hazard had a soft shot that scored.
The team is currently not set in a unit that suits him and Sig.
I hope the fans at WHL do not get on his back.

He's just so poor compared to vdv. That's what's hard to get used to

Once again....another game we failed to win, another game in which AVB makes a stupid substitution to throw it away. We had been completely dominating the game, but he made the ridiculous decision to take off Carroll and bring on a defender. Basically, the decision to throw away all the momentum and invite pressure onto ourselves...lo and behold, Norwich convert that pressure into goals. "Give him more time...." blah blah blah. How many times do we need to throw games away before AVB realises what a big mistake it is to let the opposition back into the game late on when they're on the back foot? This is the fourth time we have thrown things away from a winning position from this same mistake already this season. AVB is supposed to be some tactical genius, a footballing geek, so how come in all of his studies, all of his planning, all of his looking back and reflecting has he not noticed a common theme running through games in which we're fudging up? And how many times does it have to happen before some of you lot stop blindly backing him, saying give him time etc, when he's clearly not improved upon from some of his tactical horror shows in his previous role and is making the same mistakes over and over again.

Also, if Adebayor isn't available then that sucks. But I am very concerned that somebody somewhere at the club felt that Dempsey could be a suitable option to play as a lone striker and signed him instead of another proper CF. If I had taken the Spurs job in the summer I would have insisted on being able to sign a minimum of two new strikers or I wouldn't have accepted it. Perhaps Levy didn't give him big bucks to spend but he should have at least found somebody capable of playing as a lone CF.

I think wes hould prepare for the inevitable...

...we are going to get absolutely TONKED at the Emirates in a few weeks.

So far some of our substitutions and ambling towards the finishing line ways are reminiscent of the Jol days when we couldn't confidently close a game out and especially were vulnerable to conceding from late free-kicks. It's interesting to see Fulham are doing that constantly these days under him.

In this league who dares wins (the main reason why SAF has as many trophies as he does; tactically he's often a bit meh, see his record in Europe for example) and right now we are just not going for thr jugular as much as we pobaably need to, and when we are we are powder-puff in terms of ruthlessness.

You don't imagine us going 4 goals down but yiu can't imagine us having the drive and throwing he kitchen sink at the opposition like L'Arse did against Reading.
They will attack for the whole 90 and Giroud will give our CBs nightmares; he's in fact probably what we could have done with (apart from Caulker, who is a real threat in the air from set-pieces for us?). Oh and no VDV to bail us out this time either.

Tonight's result has crystallised what I worried about from last Tursday against Maribor that we are due a tonking and unfortunately Arsenal might be the ones to give it.

Still, it might be the catalyst to shake us up and attack, attack, attack for the majority of a game. It could be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps Levy may dust down the chequebook for January as a result.

Tell me I am wrong (please![-o<)

Re: I think wes hould prepare for the inevitable...

...we are going to get absolutely TONKED at the Emirates in a few weeks.

So far some of our substitutions and ambling towards the finishing line ways are reminiscent of the Jol days when we couldn't confidently close a game out and especially were vulnerable to conceding from late free-kicks. It's interesting to see Fulham are doing that constantly these days under him.

In this league who dares wins (the main reason why SAF has as many trophies as he does; tactically he's often a bit meh, see his record in Europe for example) and right now we are just not going for thr jugular as much as we pobaably need to, and when we are we are powder-puff in terms of ruthlessness.

You don't imagine us going 4 goals down but yiu can't imagine us having the drive and throwing he kitchen sink at the opposition like L'Arse did against Reading.
They will attack for the whole 90 and Giroud will give our CBs nightmares; he's in fact probably what we could have done with (apart from Caulker, who is a real threat in the air from set-pieces for us?). Oh and no VDV to bail us out this time either.

Tonight's result has crystallised what I worried about from last Tursday against Maribor that we are due a tonking and unfortunately Arsenal might be the ones to give it.

Still, it might be the catalyst to shake us up and attack, attack, attack for the majority of a game. It could be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps Levy may dust down the chequebook for January as a result.

Tell me I am wrong (please![-o<)

You are wrong.
We will not lose.
We will win.

Wanted Harry to stay, but AVB has won me over so far.
can't knock our current postion so early into his tenure, as well, as he seems to be
making Defoe a better player.. which is a miracle at the moment.

Maybe this thread should be locked until we are in a far worse position? As some threads make us look silly ala the Arsenal going down one from last season!

Lol want to give us some insight as to why you think we will win? I seem to recall you saying we would smash them in both games last season.

:ross: 'smash them in both games?' Your memory is rusty. I don't say things like that.

What I said about the effeminates game was that IF we went there playing 4-5-1, IF we had a full side, and IF we played smart, we would absolutely 100% win. Smash them? No mate. Wrong person. You're welcome to dig through and prove me wrong but you won't.
What you will discover is my total, and utter, dismay when I saw we were lining up 4-4-2, leaving Lennon on the bench regardless of just coming off an injury and playing about as smart as Lennie from Of Mice & Men!!!!
What I did say was that we had a better squad and first 11 than them last season, and the fact is, we did. You don't want me to revisit my complaints about not just last season, but this specific game, right?

I had put the post up with nothing more than blind belief, but you've forced me to think about it, so here you go.

We are a better away side than home side. We play better against the big teams away than at home. So long as Dembele, Bale and Lennon are fit, we will absolutely not lose the match. The space behind Arsenal's fullbacks is immense, and if the Brazillian lad is playing, amazing, it could be a field day back there. If Ade decides to show up and be mentally fit, then I'd feel even more confident. The ONE area I could get nervous about is that right-back/Cb channel which I've banged on about all season; hope it's sorted.

:ross: 'smash them in both games?' Your memory is rusty. I don't say things like that.

What I said about the effeminates game was that IF we went there playing 4-5-1, IF we had a full side, and IF we played smart, we would absolutely 100% win. Smash them? No mate. Wrong person. You're welcome to dig through and prove me wrong but you won't.
What you will discover is my total, and utter, dismay when I saw we were lining up 4-4-2, leaving Lennon on the bench regardless of just coming off an injury and playing about as smart as Lennie from Of Mice & Men!!!!
What I did say was that we had a better squad and first 11 than them last season, and the fact is, we did. You don't want me to revisit my complaints about not just last season, but this specific game, right?

I had put the post up with nothing more than blind belief, but you've forced me to think about it, so here you go.

We are a better away side than home side. We play better against the big teams away than at home. So long as Dembele, Bale and Lennon are fit, we will absolutely not lose the match. The space behind Arsenal's fullbacks is immense, and if the Brazillian lad is playing, amazing, it could be a field day back there. If Ade decides to show up and be mentally fit, then I'd feel even more confident. The ONE area I could get nervous about is that right-back/Cb channel which I've banged on about all season; hope it's sorted.

I'm glad you put some meat on the bones of your original reply, many thanks.

However, I wonder whether we are all overplaying our abilities as an away side a little. Yes we have won away at Manure (HALLELUJA!) but we have also been overrun in a whole half by Southampton and have ben punished during lethargic periods in Europe. My point is that often it's at home when the crowd forces you to throw the kitchen sink at a game, and away from home there are only so many times when the support forces you to do this. In fact how many games have we thrown the kitchen sink at sides for more then 35-40 mins? We will need the ability to turn up the heat when it suits us against Arsenal. Do we have that energy/will/tactical mindset to do it? I worry we don't right now.

Arsenal will always play a certain way where they attack and chase goals. They have not got the sheer physicality or power at times as say Manure, but they have the movement and Wenger ALWAYS gets his players up for the NLD. In fact i'm pretty sure that a lot of his new signings are told they can make themselves legends if they score/play really well in their first NLD.

You talk about the space behind their full-backs; surely the same can be said of us? I fear for what Podolski, Cazorla et al will do to target Walker and the CB beside him (Caulker?). Then there's Giroud and his good touch and heading ability. You can be sure he'll be well up for this game; will our cbs be able to handle him in the air? On the evidence of how we got done yesterday by Holt, you have to wonder if they will.
Walcott is coming back to form as well and he loves playing us these days doesn't he.

I agree with you about Andrea Santos, but expect Gibbs to be back by then. Serious tonking fears still.

Last edited:

I'm glad you put some meat on the bones of your original reply, many thanks.

However, I wonder whether we are all overplaying our abilities as an away side a little. Yes we have won away at Manure (HALLELUJA!) but we have also been overrun in a whole half by Southampton and have ben punished during lethargic periods in Europe. My point is that often it's at home when the crowd forces you to throw the kitchen sink at a game, and away from home there are only so many times when the support forces you to do this. In fact how many games have we thrown the kitchen sink at sides for more then 35-40 mins? We will need the ability to turn up the heat when it suits us against Arsenal. Do we have that energy/will/tactical mindset to do it? I worry we don't right now.

Arsenal will always play a certain way where they attack and chase goals. They have not got the sheer physicality or power at times as say Manure, but they have the movement and Wenger ALWAYS gets his players up for the NLD. In fact i'm pretty sure that a lot of his new signings are told they can make themselves legends if they score/play really well in their first NLD.

You talk about the space behind their full-backs; surely the same can be said of us? I fear for what Podolski, Cazorla et al will do to target Walker and the CB beside him (Caulker?). Then there's Giroud and his good touch and heading ability. You can be sure he'll be well up for this game; will our cbs be able to handle him in the air? On the evidence of how we got done yesterday by Holt, you have to wonder if they will.
Walcott is coming back to form as well and he loves playing us these days doesn't he.

I agree with you about Andrea Santos, but expect Gibbs to be back by then. Serious tonking fears still.

Well we shall see. I maintain we will not lose that game and that a win is very likely...

Anyone posting anything in this thread which might be thought of as a negative remark about our new coach the wonderful amazing AVB will be meet with this reply from me::

BAD FAN

Anyone even daring to say anything about our style of play or lack of direction or anything like that is clearly a bad man for not having blind faith.

You have been warned all you potential bad fans.

Anyone posting anything in this thread which might be thought of as a negative remark about our new coach the wonderful amazing AVB will be meet with this reply from me::

BAD FAN

Anyone even daring to say anything about our style of play or lack of direction or anything like that is clearly a bad man for not having blind faith.

Sarcasm works better when it's shorter.

BAD FAN

oh, i see what you did there.

clever.

Back