• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

The VIlla fans seem to disagree with you on that. I have seen a few positive comments about his work rate and the Guardian picked up on him pulling up Agbonlahor for not closing down from the front.

Lets not start this again! I watched the game tonight (from about 25 mins on) solely focusing on him regardless of where the ball was and hence my post above was meant to be balanced based on what I saw

I just do not see this 'Onamah does not close down enough' thing at all. I watched the game with the purpose of seeing how he is getting on and to me he looks class. The fact that he is playing deeper is a massive reason that he looks better and that shouldn't be skirted over. But to me, he just seems to be so much more aware of the game going on around him than any one else, it's his positioning, his patience, his decision making, he just looks class and clearly well coached. But he has the obvious talent with the ball at his feet too.

I just do not see this 'Onamah does not close down enough' thing at all. I watched the game with the purpose of seeing how he is getting on and to me he looks class. The fact that he is playing deeper is a massive reason that he looks better and that shouldn't be skirted over. But to me, he just seems to be so much more aware of the game going on around him than any one else, it's his positioning, his patience, his decision making, he just looks class and clearly well coached. But he has the obvious talent with the ball at his feet too.

Regarding 'ball at the feet' - I agree (and as I think I said above!). He had more time on the ball than others given his first touch was better than others. Was very noticeable and he stood out because of that.

I'm not sure whether the first sentence of your post was deliberately or accidentally separated from that which followed, however 'close down enough' comment which you make doesnt really relate to those things which you mention afterwards. Setting that aside, I agree with you that he seems more at home playing deeper - remains to be seen how different it would be playing in that position in the PL vs the championship but he did well tonight when he got the ball and better than he has done for Spurs

:D
Lets not start this again! I watched the game tonight (from about 25 mins on) solely focusing on him regardless of where the ball was and hence my post above was meant to be balanced based on what I saw
So did I, precisely because of the number of times you have levelled that accusation about him being lazy at him.

I really think you are judging him too harshly. Sure there are times off the ball when you wish he'd be more mobile and proactive but you can say that about every player on the pitch. By and large whenever play was within his area he put himself about, made angles for the pass, closed down players in possession aggressively and showed some of that Dembele-type tenacity in the tackle and when holding players off. His passing overall was excellent and occasionally superb.

He got lucky with the deflection for the goal - although who knows his shot could still have troubled the keeper, but either way, if you don't buy a ticket ...

Not too extravagant a claim I don't think to say he looked the classiest player on the pitch tonight. Not that that's saying a huge amount but he's definitely got the basics, enough to develop into a very decent if not top CM in the future.
Simon Dawkins?
GB you know perfectly well who we're talking about.:D

I only caught the last 20 minutes and I can see why some might think him lazy. To me, he looked tired and I think he went down late on in need of a drink.

You can see he wants the ball in tight situations and is fudged off when his team have other ideas. I think he actually had a bitch at Terry at one stage lol.

Hey - some parts I agree with, some less so. Agree with the parts which follow...

By and large whenever play was within his area he....made angles for the pass....

His passing overall was excellent and occasionally superb. He got lucky with the deflection for the goal - although who knows his shot could still have troubled the keeper, but either way, if you don't buy a ticket ...

Not too extravagant a claim I don't think to say he looked the classiest player on the pitch tonight. Not that that's saying a huge amount but he's definitely got the basics, enough to develop into a very decent if not top CM in the future.

The following parts I'm less on-board with. Who knows whether the way which he plays without the ball would work as a CM in the PL. My suspiscion is not, especially at a top 4 level, but who knows.

Sure there are times off the ball when you wish he'd be more mobile and proactive but you can say that about every player on the pitch. By and large whenever play was within his area he put himself about, ....closed down players in possession aggressively and showed some of that Dembele-type tenacity in the tackle and when holding players off.

Lets see whether things stand at the end of the year though . Things seem to be going well for him at Villa so far; he has the natural talent certainly. Poch came up with some comment when he went on loan along the lines of Onomah having the potential to be whatever he wants to be....lets see where we are next summer

Villa boss Steve Bruce said: 'It was a great strike from Josh who, for me, was the best player on the pitch in the second half.'

Says a lot for Josh. I also thought, aside from that comment, that Bruce tried to play down Onomah a bit (not in a bad way). I might be wrong but I recall whoever was interviewing Bruce trying to speak about Onomah on a couple of occasions and Bruce didn't answer directly but talked about him in the context of the other young players who had played a part.
It was almost as if he didn't want to 'big' him up too much. Keeping him grounded. Which is good.

So he was very good. And when you a view a Poch player under a new coach one of the things you would hope they do is play the way the new coach asks you to. Bruce clearly instructs the players not to press tight off the ball until your designated player has possession. He was very good when he need to be and very disciplined in his position. His passing and dribbling were by the far the best on the pitch. He controlled the midfield from a slightly deeper role. Great game from the kid.

I popped in to the thread to discuss Onomah as a footballer and how well he's been getting on, but now I am just fascinated to know how our young Josh has wronged AdamB or his family, there must be something.

You're very funny. I give my views in the same way as others do and as I did above after the Villa-Bristol City game (see a post around 930pm-10pm-ish yesterday). Read my post after that game and you'll see that I mentioned various things which I thought were clear positives in his performance, as well as those which I thought were negatives. Or perhaps you're just ignoring that post to try to appear clever and funny? Thought so. Well done big man. I hope your post makes you feel better about yourself.

I don't have a problem saying that I see some flaws in a Spurs youngster, though I appreciate that some think that we're all meant to think that any player coming through the youth system at Spurs are heroes. The reality is that thinking about the number of people coming through any academy, if you look across the league then no more than 1 or 2 can ultimately go on to be professionals and given the level which we're at, the chances of us producing many players who are still with us in, say, their mid 20s and therefore genuinely someone who is a long-term first team player is low. A lot of people thought CCV would have a long-term future with us, though I get the sense that that view is now changing. Winks (a player who I like a lot) has made a very good start to his career but even despite that, will he be happy at Spurs in say 2-4 years if he's not starting games regularly? If not, its conceivable that he might drop down to a mid-table PL team so that he becomes a regular starter, in a similar way to how Tom Carroll has moved to the bottom of the PL with Swansea. Lets see what happens with the current crop however my view is that KWP has the best chance of making it, then Onomah, then CCV (who I think might be gone within 2 years). Those three have done well to get where they have when you bear in mind that various others in their age group have left or are in the development squad....but it doesn't mean to say that those 3 will make it yet at Spurs (ie a top 4 PL team) rather than a lower PL/championship etc team (like Carroll, Townsend, Livermore, Mason, Caulker, Smith etc etc etc)

(1.) You're very funny. I give my views in the same way as others do and as I did above after the Villa-Bristol City game (see a post around 930pm-10pm-ish yesterday). Read my post after that game and you'll see that I mentioned various things which I thought were clear positives in his performance, as well as those which I thought were negatives. Or perhaps you're just ignoring that post to try to appear clever and funny? Thought so. Well done big man. I hope your post makes you feel better about yourself.

(2.) I don't have a problem saying that I see some flaws in a Spurs youngster, though I appreciate that some think that we're all meant to think that any player coming through the youth system at Spurs are heroes. The reality is that thinking about the number of people coming through any academy, if you look across the league then no more than 1 or 2 can ultimately go on to be professionals and given the level which we're at, the chances of us producing many players who are still with us in, say, their mid 20s and therefore genuinely someone who is a long-term first team player is low. A lot of people thought CCV would have a long-term future with us, though I get the sense that that view is now changing. Winks (a player who I like a lot) has made a very good start to his career but even despite that, will he be happy at Spurs in say 2-4 years if he's not starting games regularly? If not, its conceivable that he might drop down to a mid-table PL team so that he becomes a regular starter, in a similar way to how Tom Carroll has moved to the bottom of the PL with Swansea. Lets see what happens with the current crop however my view is that KWP has the best chance of making it, then Onomah, then CCV (who I think might be gone within 2 years). Those three have done well to get where they have when you bear in mind that various others in their age group have left or are in the development squad....but it doesn't mean to say that those 3 will make it yet at Spurs (ie a top 4 PL team) rather than a lower PL/championship etc team (like Carroll, Townsend, Livermore, Mason, Caulker, Smith etc etc etc)

So.....

1. You don't want to talk about whatever happened; that's fine but when you're ready, we're all here for you.

2. Yes, some players will succeed and some won't...

So.....

1. You don't want to talk about whatever happened; that's fine but when you're ready, we're all here for you.

Honestly, grow up. You come across as petulant 12 year old trying to be clever. Maybe you are though and that's what explains it. If you watched the Villa game yesterday and want to respond to my (very balanced) post just after 930pm yesterday, then happy to discuss it. If not, please be quiet and suggest you go to bed anyway as its probably past your bed time

Adam man, I don't think anyone thinks all Spurs youth players are gonna be heroes, just that in the case of Onamah in particular, you chose to pick at his work rate despite him being publicly highly regarded by Poch, a coach who would have no time to give the most talented footballer in the world if they didn't have the right mentality.

Moving on, I like our 2 year and loan rule. I think what it also does is ingrain the players with 'good habits' and enables them to be men on loan who will be their teams difference makers, as opposed to youngsters who are happy to be there. So in the case of Onamah, his positioning, his appreciation of space, his decision making, it's all stuff that would have been coached well over the last 2 years. But in addition to that, his willingness to gonad* established senior players if they aren't pressing when they're supposed to is a great 'habit' that is going to really impress Poch when he tracks his progress. It's that sort of winners mentality that will hopefully be demonstrated as within the player now, because he's been around it for so long. He should bring the team up to his level. If he send him on a relatively high pressure loan without being fully ingrained in Poch's and methods, there's a chance they are overawed and fall to the level of the team they are at.

Back