• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

It will, at some point.
But that's realism. Mourinho even said that very clearly in his interview.
Everything has a shelf life, and in football it's a short one. Poch did fantastically for 5.5 years. That was rare.
Mourinho has 3.5 - we achieve NOW.
Then we move on.

The truth is that he is unlikely to make three years in the job and in the last period his behaviour will be awful.

Actually watched the whole thing, really didn't seem like he was happy at all and his attitude/priorities etc was the opposite of today

I think the difference between the Utd presser and yesterday’s presser is he is now in possession of the knowledge that the Utd job was never really going to work out for him. He’s a 3 year manager and was at a club that really needed a minimum 2 year rebuild.

The delight we saw yesterday is him genuinely realising and believing that he’s inherited a much more stable unit than he did at Utd, and that some small tweaks and a bit of the Jose way will get them where they need to be.

He could have this group aiming in the right direction in as little as 6 weeks - that was unlikely at Utd imo.

Edit. There’s also probably an age/humility thing in play here. Think Tiger Woods post injury. As you get older you realise these opportunities won’t come around for ever.

His biggest hurdle is navigating the contract rebels - that ain’t going away overnight.

Last edited:
I think the difference between the Utd presser and yesterday’s presser is he is now in possession of the knowledge that the Utd job was never really going to work out for him. He’s a 3 year manager and was at a club that really needed a minimum 2 year rebuild.

The delight we saw yesterday is him genuinely realising and believing that he’s inherited a much more stable unit than he did at Utd, and that some small tweaks and a bit of the Jose way will get them where they need to be.

He could have this group aiming in the right direction in as little as 6 weeks - that was unlikely at Utd imo.

His biggest hurdle is navigating the contract rebels - that ain’t going away overnight.

Or he was just trying to charm everyone.

This team is at least four players away from the title challenge next season that he spoke of. Players to come straight in and be a central part of a title challenging side don't come cheap.

Or he was just trying to charm everyone.

This team is at least four players away from the title challenge next season that he spoke of. Players to come straight in and be a central part of a title challenging side don't come cheap.
Correct. I’ve made the same point previous that the replacement of the contract guys plus a new RB is essential. I just think the current core is a bit more solid than what he picked up at Utd.

Correct. I’ve made the same point previous that the replacement of the contract guys plus a new RB is essential. I just think the current core is a bit more solid than what he picked up at Utd.

I'd agree that the team is better than he inherited at United. I think that he'll probable get some of the contract rebels to sign new contracts but we are going to need to bring in a few too.

I think it’s definitely more solid quality-wise. I think it might not be though in terms of morale / commitment, at least in terms of Toby / Eriksen / Rose / Aurier.

—————

I wonder if those kinds of players were at the heart of a disagreement between Poch and Levy? Poch felt it was impossible to get quality out of them at this stage due to their lack of commitment, whilst Levy thought the manager should still be able to (and maybe even get them to extend their contract)? If so, I wonder how informed / accurate Mourinho’s understanding of the situation is, and whether he can get any more out of them than Poch? Feels like that will be utterly key. Maybe Mourinho will turn them around and even get new contracts out of them, or maybe he’ll feel duped and end up throwing a strop!

I think it’s definitely more solid quality-wise. I think it might not be though in terms of morale / commitment, at least in terms of Toby / Eriksen / Rose / Aurier.

—————

I wonder if those kinds of players were at the heart of a disagreement between Poch and Levy? Poch felt it was impossible to get quality out of them at this stage due to their lack of commitment, whilst Levy thought the manager should still be able to (and maybe even get them to extend their contract)? If so, I wonder how informed / accurate Mourinho’s understanding of the situation is, and whether he can get any more out of them than Poch? Feels like that will be utterly key. Maybe Mourinho will turn them around and even get new contracts out of them, or maybe he’ll feel duped and end up throwing a strop!
Rose - loved working for Poch but has made comments that we have a policy on over 30s to not offer them longer term deals or in his case nothing.
Jan - made lots of noises about wanting to stay, appears to have fallen out with Poch this season so hope Mourinho may be able to influence Levy into making an exception to the policy.

Toby - think his mind was made up to leave a while ago, interested to see if Mourinho looks to leverage his experience to start with and phase him out or discard him off the bat to being through someone else asap. If Jan is genuinely injured I’d expect it to be the latter.
Aurier - will be interesting if Jose sees anything in him that could be worked on, people have drawn comparisons with Foyth and Ivanovic so I think we might see him installed as first choice. If he can get a consistent tune out of Aurier he’d get my vote for coach of the year!

My post was very much tongue in cheek.

Poch's song dies with Poch.

I love Jose Mourinho
So does Jose Mourinho

or

When you were here before
Couldn't look you in the eye
You're just like an angel
Your skin makes me cry
You float like a feather
In a beautiful world
I wish I was special
You're so fudgein' special

Edit. There’s also probably an age/humility thing in play here. Think Tiger Woods post injury. As you get older you realise these opportunities won’t come around for ever.

All entirely possible.

Ive long thought Utd was just simply not going to work for him (or anyone). Van Gaal (EDIT, not Hiddink, for some reason always get them mixed up) is a very good, experienced manager, and its not like he was able to get them firing particularly either.

Between the pop star egos in the squad*, and whatever Woodward is in the board, I think there are problems at Utd from top to bottom.

I notice in that one Mourinho went in with 4 targets as well, already expecting movement... Not sure what the negotiations were on the way in, but cant help sensing a bit of aggro about him on his very first press conference.

Id fully accept a bit of ego played into it on his part, but Im still convinced Utd is something of a poisoned chalice.

Perhaps, as you suggest, a sobering experience for him? If we reap the benefit of his post Utd self reflection then I wont complain!

*Utd have always had players with ego. And if you look at the like of Beckham, quite literally pop star ego! BUT - almost to a man, they were all winners. Highly driven, perfectionist, hard working, team players - and Winners.

For me, that squad they have has all the ego - but none of the underlying qualities of the past players.

Last edited:

—————

I just made the point to someone in work that the contract rebel situation is the same as it was. Needs sorting asap. Will Jose play them or not? Still lots of indecision imo that wont be cleared up overnight.

All entirely possible.

Ive long thought Utd was just simply not going to work for him (or anyone). Hiddink is a very good, experienced manager, and its not like he was able to get them firing particularly either.

Between the pop star egos in the squad*, and whatever Woodward is in the board, I think there are problems at Utd from top to bottom.

I notice in that one Mourinho went in with 4 targets as well, already expecting movement... Not sure what the negotiations were on the way in, but cant help sensing a bit of aggro about him on his very first press conference.

Id fully accept a bit of ego played into it on his part, but Im still convinced Utd is something of a poisoned chalice.

Perhaps, as you suggest, a sobering experience for him? If we reap the benefit of his post Utd self reflection then I wont complain!

*Utd have always had players with ego. And if you look at the like of Beckham, quite literally pop star ego! BUT - almost to a man, they were all winners. Highly driven, perfectionist, hard working, team players - and Winners.

For me, that squad they have has all the ego - but none of the underlying qualities of the past players.

Ego's (or lack of) is one of the things I think our squad has going for it with Jose coming in, less personality conflict likely

He made two comments for me in his presser that resonate
- The players can only be great if they help others around them be great (I think it's was poke at Pogba)
- Players need to hate losing

I just made the point to someone in work that the contract rebel situation is the same as it was. Needs sorting asap. Will Jose play them or not? Still lots of indecision imo that wont be cleared up overnight.

Not sure it's the same (remains unresolved).

Assuming we are talking about Jan, Toby, Eriksen, Rose

- Jan I think is resolved if Jose wants him, Jan never had a problem with Spurs, this season it seemed a problem with Poch
- Toby and Eriksen are the same, bad advice backed them in a corner and the clubs expected to come in and get them never materialized. Jose has actually wanted both of them in the past. They have a get out of the corner pass if they want it.
- Rose is probably at the end of his rope, not discplined enough defensively for Jose, his PR is constant irritation for the club and he has tried to leave in past. The only conversation here will be take the next offer because unlike Poch we won't play you if you are not committed.

Said it before, could see Jan and Toby doing 1 or 2 year extensions, Eriksen and Rose leaving. Jose may chose to have a conversation with Eriksen to give a shot of doing a "Modric style" last year.

Well, nothing to do with Jose - but IMO simply changing manager kicks the can down the road somewhat. The new guy now gets to give them a chance, allow them to turn around their form/attitude and contribute, and then decide how that goes. A new guy also gets to make examples of them to assert himself.

So I think its a bit of a do over - and expect them to play, and be judged, and we'll see how it goes.

Though with Jose specifically, I also expect ruthless demand and judgement.

If Eriksen fannies about for him like he has been all season, we wont be seeing much of him...

Ego's (or lack of) is one of the things I think our squad has going for it with Jose coming in, less personality conflict likely

He made two comments for me in his presser that resonate
- The players can only be great if they help others around them be great (I think it's was poke at Pogba)
- Players need to hate losing

He said a few things I liked.

He didnt pretend to be a new man. He said he had grown, tried to mature etc - but certain principles will always remain. Those of winning, and hating losing as you say. And thats certainly not an attitude I mind having around.

I think that he made a point about using youth is important. Its clear its been in the talks on his way in. And I think its important for Spurs.

I like that he made the point of respecting the club and its ways, I assume to allude to things like youth and style.

I thought it was entirely right he praised Poch (and he didnt need to), but also the good work he has done over the last 5 years - and that he plans to build on it, not tear it up.

There was plenty he said that came across really well, IMO.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding...

Let's face it fellas Jose is a winner and we are longing to win.

But we have to face the other reality, although amazingly charming and can speak so well, he has plenty of form of behaving like a ding dong. It would be a massive surprise if he doesn't again, that just him. And I mean that towards our club and players...he can ding dong all he likes to other clubs players officials .

I'm obviously worried about the match up with Levy. It doesn't appear a great match BUT levy is going to spend more, as the percentage of income goes up the percentage of expenditure will grow as well. And perhaps the two will respect each other as massively intelligent men in their chosen field?

Let's say Jose does his usual 3 seasons. I'm a bit worried that this season may take the sorting out of the problems and squad rejiggle...next will (probably) be CLless and we're then onto the third season already? I suppose there's still trophies to be won in those times and Jose does target them all.

Mourinho has never been at any club for more than 3 years. So, it will be surprising if he stays more than that at Spurs. After all, we rarely keep any manager for more than 3 years anyway. Can't see any manager staying at the same club for 10-20 years like Ferguson and Wenger anywhere nowadays.

With the 25 major trophies he has won, Mourinho is easily the most successful manager we have appointed in our history. With next season being the magic of the year that ends in "1", let's hope Mourinho will win many trophies for us before he leaves Spurs !
I think we'll win a cup this year. Wouldn't be surprised if we focus heavily on the EL if we're in it (it would be a bonus to be 3rd in our CL group) - especially as the prize is CL qualification.

Back