• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jay Rodriguez

Would be a big gamble on him now even if he fully recovers, knee issues are not to be taken lightly. I think we should look elsewhere tbh

I think we should avoid him and go after ings instead.

It's suicide to go after a player with a serious knee injury, even more so for the money they want.

I think we should avoid him and go after ings instead.

It's suicide to go after a player with a serious knee injury, even more so for the money they want.

Ings has got a terrible injury record (lot of knee issues). Rodriguez has a very good one, save this recent one.

I also think Ings is quite similar to Soldado in style (a little clever player), whereas Rodriguez is a bigger, more powerful and quicker player - much more what we need.

There won't be much difference in price either. It would probably take about £15m to prise either away this January

Ings has got a terrible injury record (lot of knee issues). Rodriguez has a very good one, save this recent one.

I also think Ings is quite similar to Soldado in style (a little clever player), whereas Rodriguez is a bigger, more powerful and quicker player - much more what we need.

There won't be much difference in price either. It would probably take about £15m to prise either away this January

Ings is out of contract in the summer, I would be shocked if he would demand that much.

Wasn't aware of his injuries!

Ings is out of contract in the summer, I would be shocked if he would demand that much.

Wasn't aware of his injuries!

Ings was out for 6-months pretty much straight after Howe took him with him from Bournemouth to Burnley with cartilage trouble. He's had quite a few other sustained periods out too

Because of Burnley's precarious position, only a fee that will compensate them for relegation will likely tempt them. Surely it's better to stay up and have him leave for free in the summer, than go down because they took a paltry 7 figure sum?

Rodriguez will be about half his market value because of his short contract too.

A touch on the cynical side, but...

Tap him up, let him know we're still interested, but that we can't make a bid Southampton will accept with his injury problems. Let him recover there and see how he does a year from now and pick him up on a free or very cheaply if he recovers nicely.

Tap him up, let him know we're still interested, but that we can't make a bid Southampton will accept with his injury problems. Let him recover there and see how he does a year from now and pick him up on a free or very cheaply if he recovers nicely.

- I think Southampton will accept a reasonable bid for him. They know he's running down his contract and his value will plummet quite dramatically from now on - something like: £15m now, £10m summer, £5m Jan '16

- We effectively only have 2 senior strikers on our books now, and there aren't many decent options out there (esp as it is January) for less than £30m

- Poch might not be here in 12 months' time (sacked or walked) if we don't back him with the key players he wants. His main two are seemingly Moreno and Rodriguez, neither of whom are actually unreasonable (unlike some of AVB's requests)

Basically get him now but make sure he has a top notch medical and we have decent insurance.

- I think Southampton will accept a reasonable bid for him. They know he's running down his contract and his value will plummet quite dramatically from now on - something like: £15m now, £10m summer, £5m Jan '16

- We effectively only have 2 senior strikers on our books now, and there aren't many decent options out there (esp as it is January) for less than £30m

- Poch might not be here in 12 months' time (sacked or walked) if we don't back him with the key players he wants. His main two are seemingly Moreno and Rodriguez, neither of whom are actually unreasonable (unlike some of AVB's requests)

Basically get him now but make sure he has a top notch medical and we have decent insurance.

Latest report is that he's out until at least the end of January. This after speculation that he might be back early this season when we were linked this summer. He's obviously taking time, he won't have had a pre-season and will probably take time getting back into form even if he is back at the end of January.

We probably can afford him, assuming some decent outgoings. But that would still be £15m we could spend on someone that's currently match fit and without the risks associated with Rodgriguez. Not sure that's the best option when, as you say, his value will plummet from now on.

Even if we said we would get him in the summer instead at the values you suggest that's £5m for the benefit of having a perhaps fit, perhaps injured, certainly not match fit player for the second half of the season. £5m that could instead be used on getting... Who knows. Gignac? Ayew? Huntelaar? Or perhaps put towards the fee of someone whose contract isn't expiring, but is someone we need.

Latest report is that he's out until at least the end of January. This after speculation that he might be back early this season when we were linked this summer. He's obviously taking time, he won't have had a pre-season and will probably take time getting back into form even if he is back at the end of January.

We probably can afford him, assuming some decent outgoings. But that would still be £15m we could spend on someone that's currently match fit and without the risks associated with Rodgriguez. Not sure that's the best option when, as you say, his value will plummet from now on.

Even if we said we would get him in the summer instead at the values you suggest that's £5m for the benefit of having a perhaps fit, perhaps injured, certainly not match fit player for the second half of the season. £5m that could instead be used on getting... Who knows. Gignac? Ayew? Huntelaar? Or perhaps put towards the fee of someone whose contract isn't expiring, but is someone we need.

Gignac and Huntelaar I don't think will make it in this league. Both are incredibly slow for starters. I like Ayew, but he's almost a LW as much as a LWF.

I think we may have to find another Saha/Gudjohnsen/Raziack type loan stopgap again. Kone from Everton maybe or Borini from Liverpool? Kevin Doyle? Or bringing back one of Keane, Bent or Defoe for 4 months?

Gignac and Huntelaar I don't think will make it in this league. Both are incredibly slow for starters. I like Ayew, but he's almost a LW as much as a LWF.

I think we may have to find another Saha/Gudjohnsen/Raziack type loan stopgap again. Kone from Everton maybe or Borini from Liverpool? Kevin Doyle? Or bringing back one of Keane, Bent or Defoe for 4 months?

I think we can do better than most of those. Ah, Gudjohnson though... :)

The point wasn't to name a specific player that will make the difference, rather than the kind of money you're talking about could be put to good use. As seen with Fazio and Stambouli.

at the moment it seems that only the goalkeepers get poch's system and everyone outfield is taking time to make it work - especially the strikers.

i think any stop gap players will be a waste of money, would think we have enough AMs to fill in as a number 10 if needed.

I think we can do better than most of those. Ah, Gudjohnson though... :)

The point wasn't to name a specific player that will make the difference, rather than the kind of money you're talking about could be put to good use. As seen with Fazio and Stambouli.

January isn't the market for those kind of deals though. January is where desperate clubs pay far too much for crap players.

The Fazio and Stambouli signings do give me confidence that we can find creative solutions

We're being linked with Higuain today (http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...am-Transfer-Gossip-Rumour-Stars-Update-Latest). There's obviously the Baldini connection to him, but I doubt Napoli would loan out a £30m player.

I think both Gignac and Huntelaar would be successful in England. Certainly more successful than Soldado has been anyway.

I don't think we can take a risk on Rodriguez in Jan.... We need to first see him playing again and assess whether any permanent issues.

What about a winter loan for Dempsey and playing him up front or in behind Kane?

I still think we could get any of Destro, Icardi, Berahino, Bony or Benteke if we went balls in with a big bid early in Jan (sometimes you have to just accept the situation and pay a bit more) We could then hoover up Ings on a free in the Summer or buy Rodriguez if it looks like he is over his injury.

Not sure I'd agree with that assessment although I wasn't keen on the Rodriguez signing due to the medical issues. On the subject of the Southampton sales:

Lallana is looking fine, just hasn't had as many games as he perhaps should've by this stage of the season. He looked like their best player against UTD before Rodgers decided to take him off and has had good performances in these last couple of months.
Lambert was always gonna decline.
Shaw has been injured as has Rodriguez.
Chambers has looked a decent prospect too.

I don't particularly rate Rodgers as a defensive coach and their back line looks susceptible under pressure. IIRC prior to Southampton Lovren wasn't rated particularly highly in French football, yet Poch had him and Fonte working incredibly well. Perhaps Fonte was the better of the pair and the leader? Now Lovren is in a back line with no real leadership he is looking out of place?

The point is, they were almost all vastly overpriced/overated, and the most you could say about the best of them is "turned out ok"

Lallana has been quite poor in returns, Lambert lost his striking place to a winger, Lovren has been atrocious (see Pool's fans opinion, most think he's one of the worst defenders ever to play for them). Not just my opinion -> http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30516598

We need to stay away from him until he's shown he's over the injury, spend some money on someone who can actually play now

I really don't think Poch will bother trying to sign a player who has fitness doubts. He may have wanted Rodriguez before but if he has got wind that the players knee may never be right again I doubt Poch will go for him. Poch wants fit and athletic players to play his high intense game.

I think both Gignac and Huntelaar would be successful in England. Certainly more successful than Soldado has been anyway.

I don't think we can take a risk on Rodriguez in Jan.... We need to first see him playing again and assess whether any permanent issues.

What about a winter loan for Dempsey and playing him up front or in behind Kane?

I still think we could get any of Destro, Icardi, Berahino, Bony or Benteke if we went balls in with a big bid early in Jan (sometimes you have to just accept the situation and pay a bit more) We could then hoover up Ings on a free in the Summer or buy Rodriguez if it looks like he is over his injury.

I liked Dempsey, but to me he and Chadli are pretty much the same player.

With the stadium potentially 3 weeks away from full-on build start, there's no way we are going to pay £30m for a CF now

This is even more the case as any incomings will be conditional on getting the likes of Ade, Capoue, Kaboul, Paulinho, Chiriches, Dembele, BAE etc. and their wages out the door first. If 4 or 5 of those go in the first week or two of January, then we might have a chance of making a £10m+ signing in the second fortnight. More realistic is that we'll struggle to move any of them, at least until late on, and we'll bring in a mediocre loan player on deadline day.

This is even more the case as any incomings will be conditional on getting the likes of Ade, Capoue, Kaboul, Paulinho, Chiriches, Dembele, BAE etc. and their wages out the door first. If 4 or 5 of those go in the first week or two of January, then we might have a chance of making a £10m+ signing in the second fortnight. More realistic is that we'll struggle to move any of them, at least until late on, and we'll bring in a mediocre loan player on deadline day.

I'm not disagreeing with that assessment, but the eternal optimist in me hopes that the rumours of real change in how Spurs handle transfers might be true. I'm hoping Levy will surprise us this time round and throw his full weight behind a united front of Pochettino and Mitchell.

I do have one question though... a few comments ago you say (and have said several times) that "January is where desperate clubs pay far too much for crap players". And then you say that it'll be really difficult for us to get rid of "the likes of Ade, Capoue, Kaboul, Paulinho, Chiriches, Dembele, BAE etc". It's not a complete contradiction... but there's certainly an inconsistency there.

Or use whatever inside knowledge we gained from Mitchell's defection to judge his injury status/recovery (after all, Southampton have a lot to gain from portraying him as being injured enough to scare off other clubs), and then make our move if he isn't too badly hurt. Possibly offer them Townsend in exchange (and a bit of cash, if they're still sore). Feasible?

Back