• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Japhet Tanganga

Don't do Reggie down. Emirates Marketing Project have absolutely torn sides apart previously through Mahrez and Cancelo/Walker on their right. It just didn't happen yesterday, and I think a large part of that is down to Reggie and Alli's hard work.

Just to be clear I am not slagging him off, I just think we set up yesterday for that exact scenario you mentioned but they went down Tanganga's flank way more.

Reggie was solid yesterday and I am really looking forward to him bombing up the wing when we're in an attacking pomp...

I think it was really smart

- He'd put in a huge performance, he's been a bit unlucky with injuries (last 5-10 minutes, tiring, could tweak something)
- It gave him the opportunity to get a standing ovation he will never forget in his lifetime

Brave call by Nuno, turned out brilliant.
Plus it’s top trolling bringing Doherty on, basically says we think the game is over!

I was afraid that because he was having a good game, he'd get even more excited/hyped and make some rash decisions. Hopefully after the ref called Hugo over to calm Japhet down, Hugo just told Japhet to 'keep up the good work'.
Seemed very grounded and while he did deserve the praise (that's the only reason I can think Nuno took him off), he continues putting in the hard work and solves that RB problem for us over the course of this season.

Japh is a really excellent defender. Yesterday against Grealish and Sterling, what an ask but he did extremely well. Nice to hear him say that he knew he had to go after Sterling and upset his play and not allow him to grow into the game.
I remember last year that Japh was not very good at getting forwards, but that is OK. I don't expect full backs to be brilliant at both, hence we play a wonky.

Note also Japh had Ben Mendy down his side, and Mendy sometimes roasts forwards and plays a blinder, but didn't yesterday.
I think the cover from Hojbjerg, Skipp, Moura really helped Japh out as well as nobody can cope with Mendy/Grealish/Sterling on their own of course!!

Got to say in all the talk about the game I think his fouls have been overstated by the media.

According to whoscored he committed 4 fouls, I think that seems accurate. None of them were particularly nasty or cynical.

The ref talked to Lloris as our captain, him and Sanches, I assume about repeated fouls - that's a bit whatever, but fair enough.

It's 4 fouls in a big game where the opposition attacked down that flank a lot. Yeah, he could have gotten a yellow, it would have been a bit harsh, but he could have. I think the standard decision is that he gets away with a warning.

Absolute beast one v one defensively.

Got to say in all the talk about the game I think his fouls have been overstated by the media.

According to whoscored he committed 4 fouls, I think that seems accurate. None of them were particularly nasty or cynical.

The ref talked to Lloris as our captain, him and Sanches, I assume about repeated fouls - that's a bit whatever, but fair enough.

It's 4 fouls in a big game where the opposition attacked down that flank a lot. Yeah, he could have gotten a yellow, it would have been a bit harsh, but he could have. I think the standard decision is that he gets away with a warning.

Absolute hunk of burning love one v one defensively.

Depends on your definition of fouls

fudging cannot imagine watching Grealish and Sterling doing their diving like a fudging fish out of water every week ..

Absolute hunk of burning love one v one defensively.
I didn’t see the talking to at the time but it seems a little hypocritical if Fernandinho doesn’t get one before every match he plays. We also had Laporte avoid a red for something much more cynical than what i consider a strong challenge intended to win the ball.

The ref definitely seemed pro-City for parts of the first half... that foul he gave for Grealish diving into our penalty box was absurd IMO, and there were other more clear-cut mistakes that were made as well by the refs (deflection from Son's shot off Cancelo).
I was very impressed with Japhet, he was so level-headed for the entire match and surprised me with his maturity. As with Lamela, you know he will bring the aggression but he was a bit of a wild card. I thought Japhet knew what he was doing of playing exactly within the bounds of the laws of the game while bringing maximum physicality down against his opponents.

Back