• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Japan is weird...

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Japanese worker punished for starting lunch three minutes early

Managers called TV news conference and bowed in apology at employee’s ‘deeply regrettable’ actions

Japan’s commitment to addressing its dismal record on work-life balance has been called into question after a civil servant was punished for “habitually” slipping away from his desk a few minutes early to buy a bento lunch.

The 64-year-old, an employee of the waterworks bureau in the western city of Kobe, was fined and reprimanded after he was found to have left his desk just three minutes before the start of his designated lunch break on 26 occasions over a seven-month period.

Senior officials at the bureau then called a televised news conference, where they described the man’s conduct as “deeply regrettable” and bowed in apology.

A spokesman for the bureau told AFP: “The lunch break is from noon to 1pm. He left his desk before the break.”

The worker had violated a public service law requiring officials to “concentrate on their jobs”, according to the bureau.

Local media reported the incident soon after MPs passed a law intended to address Japan’s punishingly long working hours.

Last month, the lower house passed a bill that caps overtime at 100 hours a month in response to a rise in the number of employees dying from karoshi, or death from overwork.

The government was forced to act following a public outcry over the death of Matsuri Takahashi, a 24-year-old employee of the advertising giant Dentsu, who killed herself in 2015 after being forced to work more than 100 hours overtime a month, including at weekends.

Takahashi’s case triggered calls to address a workplace culture that often forces employees to put in long hours to demonstrate their dedication.

In its first white paper on karoshi in 2016, the government said one in five employees were at risk of death from overwork.

The official’s illicit bento expeditions were uncovered after a senior colleague looked out of his office window and spotted him walking to a nearby restaurant that sells takeaway food at lunchtime.

Senior management calculated how much time he had spent away from his desk and docked him half a day’s pay, according to Sora News 24.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...nished-for-starting-lunch-three-minutes-early

Should the senior official really be looking out of his window, instead of concentrating on his job? Get the TV crews back in...

Agreed. I've only got half an hour lunch breaks.

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk
I'm the same, but that doesn't seem fair to me. So I've taken matters into my own hand and much like our Japanese protagonist I do extend my lunch breaks as much as I can get away with. I recenty took a job in the government incidentally but that has nothing to do with anything :rolleyes:.

edit: I'm also not at risk from death from overwork. A perk!

I love Japan, never actually been there.

I had a sleep at work the other day in the staff room. No one bothered to wake me, I only work part time and am ill so I don't think anyone minded.

I love Japan, never actually been there.

I had a sleep at work the other day in the staff room. No one bothered to wake me, I only work part time and am ill so I don't think anyone minded.
There is a bloke I work with in my office, and older gent lets say . Maybe late 50s/early 60's if I was to guess. He's a COBOL programmer which is an older (but much used) programing language. He sleeps all the time. I look at him and it looks like he is intensly focused on his screen but he's asleep. He has it down to an fine art. Fair fudges to him I guess.

Last edited:
I went to Japan on business quite a few times in the late 80's to a subsidiary of the company I was working for. Unrelated to what I was there for, a younger guy asked me if I could help to speed up some networking stuff thy'd been writing, as I was from HQ and had access to some good resources. So I got in touch with the programmers at the ranch, got a solution and told him. He came back and said it didn't solve anything. A couple of days later I was talking to the guy's boss, and he said what I found out did work, but the young guy had implemented it wrong. I said that I was glad it got sorted, and he said that he was sorry for wasting my time and that the young guy was being reviewed and would probably be sacked. I tried to tell him that he should encourage people and work them through mistakes, but he pretty much told me it was none of my business, even though I was way senior to him in the company. The young guy got sacked. I still to this day feel bad about it.

On the other hand I found that the nightlife in Tokyo (visited a few other cities as well) offered very unusual, interesting and sometimes downright strange errr........amenities.

I worked for a Japanese guy in the US a few ago. He hired me to run the office as he based in the UK. (Japanese company)
He thought the best way to motivate staff was to threaten to sack them and kept reminding them it's hard to sack in the UK but easy in the US.
We also all had lunch together at 12-1
Safe to say we clashed heads quite a few times.

Ended up with him accusing me of something in a meeting, me calling him out on it and suggesting I could go and the emails to prove I'm right and he's wrong.

We then stared at eachother shaking our heads for over a minute.
I said if he didn't like it, he could sack me......he did.

I did have the pleasure of making him shake my hand and wish me all the best before I left. He really didn't want to, I made sure he had to look me in the eyes.

Weird little fudger. Insisted on being called Mr Osaki.

Agreed. I've only got half an hour lunch breaks.

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Depends what hours. I always insist on taking at least an hour lunch. Most people don’t.

Have some people over from the Hong Kong office and they find it weird most people luck at their desks here. Over there they take 2hr lunches but work longer hours. All relative I guess

Depends what hours. I always insist on taking at least an hour lunch. Most people don’t.

Have some people over from the Hong Kong office and they find it weird most people luck at their desks here. Over there they take 2hr lunches but work longer hours. All relative I guess
One would think most people would rather spend that 1,5 hour at home with their family than lunch at work.

I went to Japan, loved the place. They are workaholics. You often find workers sleeping in the streets. I presume when they go to a meeting and it finishes early, they try get some rest before going back to work. It is also really shameful to leave the office before the boss does. As a tourist its a great place to visit.

Different topic, but relevant as it is Japan :

Had the tv on this morning and there was an interview with a journalist from Japan (think she was Korean) who has gone public about a rape claim she had bought against someone (not sure of the detail, didn't hear the whole piece), in an attempt to publicise how the laws need to change.
She described part of the investigation : 3 male police officers and her in a room. She had to lie on the floor. They brought in a life size doll and placed it on top of her, moving it around, for her to describe what had happened.
It would almost be funny if not so serious a subject.

Two sad stories about the country I love. The overwork thing is ridiculous. I just do not understand how anyone thinks it is productive? Most people aren’t actually working anyway, just the illusion of being committed to their job by staying later than everyone else.

The rape stuff...it’s dreadful the way women are treated here. Get pregnant, go on maternity leave, come back and find your job is not there anymore is all too common.

Great country with some major social issues.

Back