• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January transfer rumour thread

They keep talking about Harry on french tv.

They just said he can go back to England happy as Remy has had a good game

At half time they were interviewing Deschamps and the journo joked and said " is redknapp there to replace you?"

Deschamps replied not too happy: " hes looking at players".

They keep talking about Harry on french tv.

They just said he can go back to England happy as Remy has had a good game

At half time they were interviewing Deschamps and the journo joked and said " is redknapp there to replace you?"

Deschamps replied not too happy: " hes looking at players".

Well... They interviewed Remy at the end to ask him about Tottenham.

He didnt know what to say, said in the end that he wasnt leaving in January but that He'll see what happens next summer. Looked unsure though.

I think this is serious as the french journos kept on talking it about it all night. And in the after match, they made it a special interview to ask him about redknapp. Redknapp is becoming famous abroad aswell now, They kept on talking about him.

Dimitar Berbatov has been spotted catching a flight to Frankfurt amid reports of transfer talks with Bayer Leverkusen

Well... They interviewed Remy at the end to ask him about Tottenham.

He didnt know what to say, said in the end that he wasnt leaving in January but that He'll see what happens next summer. Looked unsure though.

I think this is serious as the french journos kept on talking it about it all night. And in the after match, they made it a special interview to ask him about redknapp. Redknapp is becoming famous abroad aswell now, They kept on talking about him.

Cheers for the updates mate. So Remy saying not January is pretty final then?

[Update 34] Storts re: Harry in Marseille
Who: storts
When: 15/01/12
Where: COYS

Got a text 'You watching? Official bid will be going in'.

Not so sold on Remy. He usually gets even fewer touches than Lennon does for us, something like 15 passes per game and a pretty awful passing %. (Ade gets nearly 40.) Given Ade's contribution to our possession, assists, link up and hold up play (we actually play an extraordinary number of long passes), any forward who can't drop deep, glue the ball to their feet, and play key passes is a real worry. If we just wanted a goalscorer, we'd start Defoe more often. Personally I think we'd be putting a lot of pressure on our midfield if we played Remy up top, even if he's more suited for a lone striker role than Defoe.

OTOH, he's fast, a decent age (25), can actually score headers (though I think our issue is setpiece delivery more than aerial weakness), and can play that right wing forward role that would give us a more traditional 4-3-3. We don't have a RWF in this squad (assuming Gio is leaving/too physically weak for the PL), so I think that versatility is very useful. And Lennon doesn't get hugely involved in possession either, so as long as he can defend and beat a man and play key passes like Lennon does as well as score, Remy sounds like good competition on the right.

I'd rather take Ayew or Hazard, but they're out of our wage/price range and are probably looking for bigger clubs. My ideal forward atm is Fiorentina's Jovetic, but he's likely out of our range too.

In any case, Pav is just a deadweight around our necks and anything would be better than him as he'll be beyond useless in the tough away games we have next month (I mean literally - exchange him and money for Steven Fletcher if it's the last day of the window). Assuming Remy would cost 15m + Pav, or a smaller fee with a better sell-on plus add-ons (which I suspect will appeal more to Levy), we can sell Gio, Bentley, Jenas this summer to recoup some of the cost and assume we won't lose much on Remy given his age and good rep in Europe. (This rep makes him less of a risk than 16m for Bent or 16m for Bentley, because those two would never go to a club outside England.)

Clearly not, read the post

If that's directed at me then i'll say that i did read it and "said in the end that he wasnt leaving in January but that He'll see what happens next summer" is a pretty definate answer. If there was a shot at getting him in January wouldn't Remy have just said "i don't know" rather then the not leaving in January part.

Anyway i was asking Charlietheyid who appears to know more about the player and more about this potential deal than any of us.

My ideal forward atm is Fiorentina's Jovetic, but he's likely out of our range too.

Jovetic is a proper footballer! Remy on the other hand is just an athlete with just enough skill, passing and crossing ability to get with it in the modern game. He's a stronger Walcott. Maybe that's what we need, but I'm not gonna get excited by the guy.

Bit of a crap video but both of Remy's goals can be seen here...

[video=youtube;lapEvTKV20E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lapEvTKV20E[/video]

Jovetic is out of our range though. I guess you could say we could recoup the transfer fee, given his age and strong rep, so that's not a big deal - but I think he will be looking at bigger names than us in Europe and they would be happy to pounce on him.

We have to be realistic about where we are, and not get drawn too long into pipe dreams like Tevez (supposedly Harry's favorite fap material after Rossi broke his leg) or Cavani. For European players we're competing with a lot more arrivistes these days - not just Chelsea and City, but Malaga and PSG. Which is pretty freaking annoying when you want to pick up the next big thing, because those clubs seem to stockpile players just to keep others from having them. :(

If we want to miraculously land a great player, we're going to have to take some pretty big risks. Scout in South America and random Eastern European countries (though the work permit will be troublesome). Convert some AM or WF who can play with his back to goal to lone forward. Grab everything we can from Barca B and run like hell. Poach Saudi Sportswashing Machine's scouts (particularly Graham Carr). We'd probably fail 9 times out of 10, but the less risky signings like Remy will just tide us over rather than drag us to the top. I think Levy likes a gamble, but he doesn't like to bet big - especially not when we're in a terribly precarious situation surrounded by richer clubs, led by a manager who won't commit.

Btw, I haven't heard much about this but I think it's worth thinking about the 'transfers of staff' as much as the players too. One of the things that has annoyed me, perhaps more than our transfer activity (and perhaps not entirely unrelated), is the way we've lost our staff within the last two years - Levy's right-hand man to Man United, another executive to the States, and just recently one of our medical staff to Emirates Marketing Project. I hope we're not losing talent without replacing it, because Levy can't handle everything on his own. Personally I think it's just as important to have good scouts and a good backroom as much as good players.

Oh well. If they'd like a recent grad to slavishly work for them part-time for work experience, I'd be happy to volunteer ;)

Not so sold on Remy. He usually gets even fewer touches than Lennon does for us, something like 15 passes per game and a pretty awful passing %. (Ade gets nearly 40.) Given Ade's contribution to our possession, assists, link up and hold up play (we actually play an extraordinary number of long passes), any forward who can't drop deep, glue the ball to their feet, and play key passes is a real worry. If we just wanted a goalscorer, we'd start Defoe more often. Personally I think we'd be putting a lot of pressure on our midfield if we played Remy up top, even if he's more suited for a lone striker role than Defoe.

OTOH, he's fast, a decent age (25), can actually score headers (though I think our issue is setpiece delivery more than aerial weakness), and can play that right wing forward role that would give us a more traditional 4-3-3. We don't have a RWF in this squad (assuming Gio is leaving/too physically weak for the PL), so I think that versatility is very useful. And Lennon doesn't get hugely involved in possession either, so as long as he can defend and beat a man and play key passes like Lennon does as well as score, Remy sounds like good competition on the right.

I'd rather take Ayew or Hazard, but they're out of our wage/price range and are probably looking for bigger clubs. My ideal forward atm is Fiorentina's Jovetic, but he's likely out of our range too.

In any case, Pav is just a deadweight around our necks and anything would be better than him as he'll be beyond useless in the tough away games we have next month (I mean literally - exchange him and money for Steven Fletcher if it's the last day of the window). Assuming Remy would cost 15m + Pav, or a smaller fee with a better sell-on plus add-ons (which I suspect will appeal more to Levy), we can sell Gio, Bentley, Jenas this summer to recoup some of the cost and assume we won't lose much on Remy given his age and good rep in Europe. (This rep makes him less of a risk than 16m for Bent or 16m for Bentley, because those two would never go to a club outside England.)

If we signed Remy I would hope he would never play in place of Adebayor. The stats don't really say a lot about his capabilities as a wide forward (I think the stats usually depend more on the team's system and the players around them with this sort of player), but I agree that they still give the impression that ball retention isn't his game.

I think he would be very useful in our team as an option instead of Defoe or Lennon, but hopefully we can get some proper backup for Ade as well.

Totally agree with the rest of your post though, Andre Ayew has looked quality every time I've seen him at club level! Son of Abedi Pele...

Also, unlike most teams our 'long passes' are are actually long passes and not hoofs! The ability to mix it up by switching the play, hitting through balls in behind from deep or pinging a straight ball upfield is something we can exploit with the pace we have to attack the space made by these passes and cause panic in the opposing defence.

Last edited:
i haven't seem remy much but just from the youtube vids i'd agree that he's all athleticism and not so much technique. maybe harry has a different game plan with him, e.g. to get on the end of bale's crosses; remy could also be utilised as a sole striker if he's fast enough to break from midfield and get on to BAE's crosses. he would also be useful as a sole striker in the absence of ade, but we would have to play differently - more breakaway attack than "scrumming" our way upfield.

but i'm concerned about getting foreign players in the Jan window; would buy proven quality where they could be useful immediately. e.g. samba/hoilett or even make cheeky bids for ba/nathan dyer etc.

so mayb

Back