• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James Maddison

Think there shold be an alternative where the full backs are giving extra width instead of being inside.

The amount of times are who team are in the width of the box is crazy. The when we do get it wide the man is isolated and just passes it back inside. Kulu is not really ever gonna go on the outside so I don't know what the expected result is really gonna be there. Son can't beat a player on the dribble anymore so there is no real penetration from either wide man.

Funny thing is when Porro has overlapped late in games we've instantly looked more dangerous, real width and delivery, but we only seem to use it as some desperation tactic instead of a viable option.

The you have the situation in defence where the opposition constaly have two men over at the far post.

And when we faced similar problems undet Conte we would complain that we did not have "lock picker", well that was Maddison's job.

Maybe we have to consider a plan B for when Maddison is off form or injured.
I don’t know the answer TBH
A lock picker can only pick a lock if it’s there
One thing Arsenal do more against these teams is shoot more from distance. We don’t do that
City do stick to their model but they do have better players
Pool seem to retreat more to get teams to come out but that may be the wrong view
We seem to repeat what we always do
It’s year 1 though. Flexibility comes with time and practice

Think there shold be an alternative where the full backs are giving extra width instead of being inside.

The amount of times are who team are in the width of the box is crazy. The when we do get it wide the man is isolated and just passes it back inside. Kulu is not really ever gonna go on the outside so I don't know what the expected result is really gonna be there. Son can't beat a player on the dribble anymore so there is no real penetration from either wide man.

Funny thing is when Porro has overlapped late in games we've instantly looked more dangerous, real width and delivery, but we only seem to use it as some desperation tactic instead of a viable option.

The you have the situation in defence where the opposition constaly have two men over at the far post.
It creates overloads in areas that teams haven’t prepared for
It’s how we scored vs pool for example
It may be something Ange brings in over time

where you there mate? Son made quite a few starting runs to no pass, Maddison wasn't the only culprit but he was.

To @NaijaSpurs comment, I was hoping Ange brought on GLC earlier, Maddison is way off match fitness right now.
No, watched on TV to be fair. Felt like the only time there was decent movement was after they got a rocket up their arse at half time - and scored from it.

Needs to forget about being mister PR-good-guy-media-personality™ for a bit and focus on his football.

No, watched on TV to be fair. Felt like the only time there was decent movement was after they got a rocket up their arse at half time - and scored from it.

The front line tried to run a few times, no one picked it, Maddison & Romero were probably the two biggest offenders. Got the crowd a bit restless at times.

Certainly not the only problem on the day, but was one.

where you there mate? Son made quite a few starting runs to no pass, Maddison wasn't the only culprit but he was.

To @NaijaSpurs comment, I was hoping Ange brought on GLC earlier, Maddison is way off match fitness right now.
Yes, I was there. And as I posted elsewhere, Vicario, in my opinion, was the only player that came out of that performance with any credit.

I totally agree re Maddison, we need a player that can compete with him for that creative spot in midfield, especially when he playing this poorly.

Last edited:
The front line tried to run a few times, no one picked it, Maddison & Romero were probably the two biggest offenders. Got the crowd a bit restless at times.

Certainly not the only problem on the day, but was one.

Romero does it to the point of obsession. Noticed he was playing the ball much quicker after half time so must have got told about it, but it's a feature of his game. Holds onto it, points, shapes up to pass, doesn't and then chooses to play the hardest ball possible to players with a man up the back of them.

And when we faced similar problems undet Conte we would complain that we did not have "lock picker", well that was Maddison's job.

Maybe we have to consider a plan B for when Maddison is off form or injured.
No successful team has a solitary lock picker. You need creativity and invention from a number of different avenues and right now we don't really have that. Our wings are a void, we pretty much get nothing from there other than the occasional moment. So yes a lock picker is necessary but a number of said lock pickers is more important.

No successful team has a solitary lock picker. You need creativity and invention from a number of different avenues and right now we don't really have that. Our wings are a void, we pretty much get nothing from there other than the occasional moment. So yes a lock picker is necessary but a number of said lock pickers is more important.
I agree. I think we have that when more players are available and on form. For a while too many have been unavailable or off form at the same time.

Romero does it to the point of obsession. Noticed he was playing the ball much quicker after half time so must have got told about it, but it's a feature of his game. Holds onto it, points, shapes up to pass, doesn't and then chooses to play the hardest ball possible to players with a man up the back of them.
I think it's part of the overall strategy most of the time.

You can move the ball fairly quickly mostly side to side, hope to open up some space. But most teams defend well enough against that and will keep shuffling side to side without letting much space open up.

The quick direct switch of play usually works better. Most effective when played by someone really wide on one side, that's usually not where our centre backs are.

We try to create overloads imo. Play that difficult pass into space, or even as you say into tight areas. That moves the opponents more, thus creating space elsewhere if we can move it on from there.

Perhaps a good thing if we can switch that up a little bit between quicker passes which won't in themselves create much space and those more ambitious passes into space or to create overloads.

Part of the problem in a game like this was that a lot of responsibility for doing useful things on the ball was on just a few players including Romero because of players missing and players not being at their best. Makes us look stodgy.

Back