• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

It's a contact sport

diving is a symptom of that, so we need to find a way

There is only one way to stop clubs from cheating in any form and that is point deduction. This is far too radical for all concerned and would be difficult to implement FAIRLY and without BIAS.
As long as the money is rolling in and the media treat it as part of the game nothing will change.
I know I'm opening myself for accusations of xenophobia but I cant remember this being a major problem before the influx of foreign players and coaches, any changes that could be made in the English leagues would put our teams at a disadvantage in competitions as world football will not change.
I might be lucky as perhaps few on here will remember or know anything about football before the 80's or Greed League.

There is only one way to stop clubs from cheating in any form and that is point deduction. This is far too radical for all concerned and would be difficult to implement FAIRLY and without BIAS.
As long as the money is rolling in and the media treat it as part of the game nothing will change.
I know I'm opening myself for accusations of xenophobia but I cant remember this being a major problem before the influx of foreign players and coaches, any changes that could be made in the English leagues would put our teams at a disadvantage in competitions as world football will not change.
I might be lucky as perhaps few on here will remember or know anything about football before the 80's or Greed League.

Yep, you are. Rodney Marsh invented diving. The English game also used to be absolutely brutal, long before the "influx of foreign players", which imo, mostly added skill and creativity.

I hear what you’re saying. I think the South American countries take it to another level in terms of gamesmanship, aggressive fouling etc but we’ve always had players who dive in England; Lineker, Owen, Rodney Marsh, Gerrard and Ashley Young were/are serial divers just off the top of my head. Don’t forget Gareth Bale too, he was one of the worst for it.

Yep, you are. Rodney Marsh invented diving. The English game also used to be absolutely brutal, long before the "influx of foreign players", which imo, mostly added skill and creativity.

Absolutely agree with the diving, we’ve always had players that dive. Also agree about the skill part which foreign players have brought here. As I said in my previous post, I think South American players take the “dark arts” to another level, Erik Lamela being exhibit A. Can’t recall an English player being quite so cynical and dirty as him :D

Football was brutal in 50/60's worldwide, diving was not an issue in British game, you've named one player from late 60's I bet you could name 3 or 4 from each team in PL of today.

Absolutely agree with the diving, we’ve always had players that dive. Also agree about the skill part which foreign players have brought here. As I said in my previous post, I think South American players take the “dark arts” to another level, Erik Lamela being exhibit A. Can’t recall an English player being quite so cynical and dirty as him :D

or as beautiful and skilful, so it balances out

Mussolini was a nasty fascist but the trains run on time. Skill levels have improved out of all recognition, no one could disagree but levels of sportsmanship have declined. Let's just ignore the diving like everyone else or we could setup fairplay committees and offer guidance counseling to players, coaches, managers and owners and rely on their overwhelming sense of honour and love of the game.

I hear what you’re saying. I think the South American countries take it to another level in terms of gamesmanship, aggressive fouling etc but we’ve always had players who dive in England; Lineker, Owen, Rodney Marsh, Gerrard and Ashley Young were/are serial divers just off the top of my head. Don’t forget Gareth Bale too, he was one of the worst for it.

Apart from Marsh all the players were post 80's.

Mussolini was a nasty fascist but the trains run on time. Skill levels have improved out of all recognition, no one could disagree but levels of sportsmanship have declined. Let's just ignore the diving like everyone else or we could setup fairplay committees and offer guidance counseling to players, coaches, managers and owners and rely on their overwhelming sense of honour and love of the game.

Sportsmanship has declined because of how much money is at stake.

I’m not sure what more we can do to root out diving. It’s so endemic in the game. Playacting annoys me more. I agree it’s not as acceptable to tell men to “be a man” these days as we’ve made massive strides in not resorting to using such macho terminology, but part of me wants to say “be a man” when you see players rolling around on the floor. Do they have no shame in acting so cowardly? :D

It's also the rule changes and the general 'evolution' of the sport as it has grown into a global, mass market 'product'.

I’m not sure what more we can do to root out diving. It’s so endemic in the game. Playacting annoys me more. I agree it’s not as acceptable to tell men to “be a man” these days as we’ve made massive strides in not resorting to using such macho terminology, but part of me wants to say “be a man” when you see players rolling around on the floor. Do they have no shame in acting so cowardly? :D
My original point. Diving is another thing altogether.

There has been a massive amount of diving and play acting in this Arse/Utd game. Arteta also contributing, which resulted in a yellow card for him.
Not just because it’s Arse, but fans can’t really moan about the cheating, as they actively encourage it by appealing and roaring for every single decision.

Growing up in Southampton in the 60s & 70s I used to be at The Dell every other week. We all knew that Mike Channon would hammer it down the right wing at least 3 or 4 times every match gracefully bounding over tackles all the way.......until he got to the opponents box. Then he'd always go down like the proverbial sack of spuds.
I now live in Leeds, home of that bastion of sportsmanship Don Revie's Leeds United. Although, to be fair, they were full of foreigners as well. Bloody Scots, Welsh & Irish!

Ok folks I'm wrong diving was far worse before foreign players and coaches came here its almost disappeared since they joined the leagues, in fact football is pretty much perfect.

Back