• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

It's a contact sport

90291Spur

Paul Walsh
It bugs the fcuk out of me how football players fall down in agony at the slightest touch. Rico Lewis went down like he'd been crippled around half a dozen times last week, and our own Royal is a prime culprit. And whom can forget the delightful Suarez vs Norwich?

I understand the reasons why - the gamesmanship, running down the clock - but look at the real, severe, contact sports, both rugby codes, NFL, NHL, and those guys get the living hell knocked out of them and get up and keep going.

I'm sure nothing can be done, but it's getting beyond a joke.

Yeah, that little brick at city went down like a sack of potatoes every time someone got within 5 feet of him, and the wet fart of a ref gave him a FK every single time!

I think a lot of why they go down easy is because they have to to get a freekick, if they stay on their feet nothing is given. Obviously the rolling around is a tinkle take but that has been used to get players booked / sent off. Its all tactical imo.

It bugs the fcuk out of me how football players fall down in agony at the slightest touch. Rico Lewis went down like he'd been crippled around half a dozen times last week, and our own Royal is a prime culprit. And whom can forget the delightful Suarez vs Norwich?

I understand the reasons why - the gamesmanship, running down the clock - but look at the real, severe, contact sports, both rugby codes, NFL, NHL, and those guys get the living hell knocked out of them and get up and keep going.

I'm sure nothing can be done, but it's getting beyond a joke.

For me it’s been beyond a joke for years. It’s farcical and embarassing. It’s one of the main reasons I’ve found myself genuinely falling out of love with football, despite it being my first love. I only ever watch Spurs these days, and even that feels mostly like obligation.

I think a lot of why they go down easy is because they have to to get a freekick, if they stay on their feet nothing is given. Obviously the rolling around is a tinkle take but that has been used to get players booked / sent off. Its all tactical imo.

I do agree with that. Trouble is it’s a vicious circle - more diving, refs react less to non-diving, so players feel they have to dive even more etc etc. The refs’ part in that cycle tinkles me off too - no doubt refereeing is hard, but it so often looks so obvious when a player doesn’t go down naturally (and vice versa).

For me it’s been beyond a joke for years. It’s farcical and embarassing. It’s one of the main reasons I’ve found myself genuinely falling out of love with football, despite it being my first love. I only ever watch Spurs these days, and even that feels mostly like obligation.
I wonder if it will ever bother the powers that be. It makes football players seem like cut glass crystal fragile little precious things. Working to cut it out would improve the game, IMO.

I wonder if it will ever bother the powers that be. It makes football players seem like cut glass crystal fragile little precious things. Working to cut it out would improve the game, IMO.

I can’t imagine it will ever bother the powers that be, sadly. The feigning contact/pain is already at a ridiculous level, but the sport’s more popular than ever, and the money’s bigger than ever. And to be honest I think it would actually be hard to crack down on it at this point, because they’ve let it get to the point where it’s gone beyond diving when there’s no contact (which you could easily punish) - it’d now be much harder to punish exaggerating contact or, especially, exaggerating pain.

I’ll just have to keep doing what I do now to try and cope - fantasising about stamping on the player in question, or whisperingly asking in their ear whether their children would be ashamed right now for having such a pathetic little bitch clam as a father.

It’s frustrating but I understand it.

What I think is a bigger blight on the game is the feigning of injury to kill time at the end of games or to disrupt a teams flow as they’re getting on top. It’s gotten much, much worse in recent years. I’m not talking about drawing fouls like Harry is the master of, it’s the going down with non existent injuries. And every team is guilty of it.

I think it’s inevitable it will become non contact in future.

And I think the game will be better for it.

37746551_2257817380911846_4734137670635094016_n.jpg

It’s frustrating but I understand it.

What I think is a bigger blight on the game is the feigning of injury to kill time at the end of games or to disrupt a teams flow as they’re getting on top. It’s gotten much, much worse in recent years. I’m not talking about drawing fouls like Harry is the master of, it’s the going down with non existent injuries. And every team is guilty of it.

And now with the stop for a head injury there is a guaranteed way to eat up the clock. I hope they insist on a concussion check after each such head injury stop. That will discourage feigning injury.

As has been said, it’s a response to how the game is officiated.

Players started exaggerating because referees were letting too much go.

Penalties are given for hand ball based on natural positions of arms, why don't they apply that rational to body positions for dives, the normal reaction to falling is to place the arms out to break the contact with the ground not throwing them up in the air with your back arched and a degree of trying to keep your balance.

Penalties are given for hand ball based on natural positions of arms, why don't they apply that rational to body positions for dives, the normal reaction to falling is to place the arms out to break the contact with the ground not throwing them up in the air with your back arched and a degree of trying to keep your balance.

they should rule on the foul, not the reaction

Back