• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

IT Question

Sandman

Dean Austin
Hi,

Need some help with my home Network. Basic question i think, but im not sure what to buy.

At home I have the broadband connected to the Phone line in the living room. I have an upstairs office and I want to really plug in the Ethernet cable so I always have a direct link and it not be wireless.

So I have a few options i think.

1) drill holes and run an ethernet cable through the ceiling or outside the house and then back in.

2) get one of those internet things that plug into your electrical plugs and then you plug another somwhere else. and run and ethernet out of that?

Are these my only 2 solutions? and if so can someone tell me what exactly i need to get for option 2. I already bought a Wifi Repeater by mistake and its not what i wanted. I dont want to extend the wireless. I want a hard connection.

Thanks

is there a phone socket on the same line in your office?

power line connections do work but they limit the speed somewhat, this might only be an issue if you have really fast BB

For 2 you need something like this.

You can get some where you can still use the plug I think. If plugging into an extension lead (4 way job) I remember someone saying on here before that that slowed them down a bit. My personal experience of powerline has always been positive, it seems pretty solid.

Guess for running cable it depends on the layout of your house, how easy it would be.

There is no phone line on the same line in my office. So that is out. I just have the main phone line coming into the living room.

Now the living room line is at the front of the house next to my front Door, and my office is above the front door. So relative distance would be about 5-6m's away.

so it seems I need to use the power line version or Run an Ethernet cable out of the wall. Up the front of the house and back into the house in my office.

As its rented property I prefer to do the power line version. So any reccomendations on type would be good.

It basically comes down to wanting to plug my ethernet connection into my Desktop Computer via a hardline. My line is only broadband. No fibre in my area :( just had to give it up as we moved. Loved the fibre.

i've used netgear ones on the past that were a bit crap, devolo ones were ok

its been a while though so i'd read up the recent amazon reviews first

Cool that is dirty cheap. The ones I was looking at all seemed to be £40 - £100 and had wireless which i dont need.
Suspiciously cheap I thought ;) That company selling on Amazon seem to have priced everything at a fiver. Amazon sell the same for about £35 by the look of things.

I've only used Devolo, so can't comment on TP Link.

thanks so much for the help guys. Sometimes its knowing what you want, but not the product or the name of the product.

Read the reviews and they all give that one suggested 5 stars. So two ordered. Thanks a lot.

Back