• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Istanbul / Turkish Super Lig Tix

monkeybarry

Ian Walker
I'm going to Istanbul for a week at the end of the month.
Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, has anyone been a game there?
Trying to work out where to buy tix.
Seems like
https://www.passo.com.tr/en
Is the official reseller for the lge, but not tickets are on there.
Anyone know how ticketing in Turkey works?

Cheers!!

I'm going to Istanbul for a week at the end of the month.
Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, has anyone been a game there?
Trying to work out where to buy tix.
Seems like
https://www.passo.com.tr/en
Is the official reseller for the lge, but not tickets are on there.
Anyone know how ticketing in Turkey works?

Cheers!!

I lived there for a couple of years, absolutely brilliant city! Vibrant, busy, steeped in incredible history whilst also being cosmopolitan. Truly an east-meets-west vibe.

Recommendations might be a bit dated though:
  • The obvious ones are visiting Hagia Sophia, The Blue Mosque (both in Sultanahmet Square), Topkapi and Dolmabahce Palaces, Basilica Cistern. Although very touristy it's highly recommended just to take in the bustle and history of these structures and areas.
  • Grand Bazaar (European side) and Bahariye Street (Asian) for gift shopping.
  • Rumeli Hisari isn't quite as popular but its a great old fortress from medieval times that used to protect the Bosphorous strait on the now European side.
  • I'd recommend Ortakoy on the European side, it's by the Bosphorous and in the evenings is really buzzy with roadside food offerings and local bars. Great place to chill, have a few drinks and take in the city vibe
  • It's worth doing a Strait tour or dinner cruise if you have time. Really good way to see the city skyline and architecture on both sides
  • Galata Tower gets very busy but the area around it is pretty cool including Istiklal Caddesi. Part of the Beyoglu area which has lots to check out and restaurants, bars etc
  • Taksim Square can get VERY busy but always worth a little venture.
  • The Asian side is the 'older' side but has loads of great places like Kadikoy (check out the murals) and it's bars, shopping and general buzz.
  • Balat is the place to get your pic on the coloured steps and has an old Shoreditch-y vibe.
  • I'd always prefer to get the ferry across the strait but if you want to tick it off then get a taxi across the bridge. On transport, when I lived in the city there was no metro, however I went back in 2019 and did most of my travelling on the system, really quick, easy to navigate.
Don't know what sort of budget or preference you have for hotels, Istanbul has some exceptional places to stay if you want to be spenny. Last time I stayed we found this cool little place near Galata Tower http://www.bankerhan.com/home but I'm sure there's also some decent airbnb's if that's your thing.

On the football front, I can't help there. I don't know how easy it is to get tickets nowadays but if it's anything like it was, it's truly an experience so worth persevering for tickets! I was lucky enough to go to Galatasaray's old Ali Sami Yen stadium back in the day. Besiktas' Inonu Stadium is also another winner, never went to Fenerbahce's place. Word of advice, always go in the home end ;)

I lived there for a couple of years, absolutely brilliant city! Vibrant, busy, steeped in incredible history whilst also being cosmopolitan. Truly an east-meets-west vibe.

• The obvious ones are visiting Hagia Sophia, The Blue Mosque (both in Sultanahmet Square), Topkapi and Dolmabahce Palaces, Basilica Cistern. Although very touristy it's highly recommended just to take in the bustle and history of these structures and areas.
  • Rumeli Hisari isn't quite as popular but its a great old fortress from medieval times that used to protect the Bosphorous strait on the now European side.
  • I'd recommend Ortakoy on the European side, it's by the Bosphorous and in the evenings is really buzzy with roadside food offerings and local bars. Great place to chill, have a few drinks and take in the city vibe
  • It's worth doing a Strait tour or dinner cruise if you have time. Really good way to see the city skyline and architecture on both sides
  • Galata Tower gets very busy but the area around it is pretty cool including Istiklal Caddesi. Part of the Beyoglu area which has lots to check out and restaurants, bars etc
  • The Asian side is the 'older' side but has loads of great places like Kadikoy (check out the murals) and it's bars, shopping and general buzz.
  • Balat is the place to get your pic on the coloured steps and has an old Shoreditch-y vibe.
  • I'd always prefer to get the ferry across the strait but if you want to tick it off then get a taxi across the bridge. On transport, when I lived in the city there was no metro, however I went back in 2019 and did most of my travelling on the system, really quick, easy to navigate.
Don't know what sort of budget or preference you have for hotels, Istanbul has some exceptional places to stay if you want to be spenny. Last time I stayed we found this cool little place near Galata Tower http://www.bankerhan.com/home but I'm sure there's also some decent airbnb's if that's your thing.

On the football front, I can't help there. I don't know how easy it is to get tickets nowadays but if it's anything like it was, it's truly an experience so worth persevering for tickets! I was lucky enough to go to Galatasaray's old Ali Sami Yen stadium back in the day. Besiktas' Inonu Stadium is also another winner, never went to Fenerbahce's place. Word of advice, always go in the home end ;)

Lovely unique city.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this!! It's so helpful. Really getting pumped for the trip now!

really good list there, one more of the touristy things I would add is a boat trip and a day on one of the Princess Islands.

If you are into music in different languages try to find a Meyhane they are basically a traditional Turkish bar where live music is played with, loads of drinks and snacks people getting caught up in the music and dancing… really great atmospheres in everyone I have been to.

If you don’t fancy Turkish music there are plenty of European style bars and clubs.

it really is a great city, amazing amazing place.

Had a couple of work trips to Istanbul quite a few years back now and tagged on a long weekend to one of them to get a chance to look around. I concur it is a great city, so much to see.
In addition to all the things mentioned above, I recall in a side street around the corner from the Blue Mosque there is what I suppose is a museum in name but it's where they have excavated some amazing mosaics. We were two of only a handful of people looking around, compared to the Blue Mosque and other sites which were much busier. We may just have struck a luckily quiet time.

Re football ticketing, it seems you need a "Passolig" card before you can buy anything, then you set up an account on the Passo website and buy from there
https://www.turkishfootballnews.com/how-do-i-get-a-passolig-card/
https://www.turkishfootballnews.com/how-do-i-purchase-turkish-football-tickets/

Would recommend reading or watching something on the Ottomans. There is a brilliant book which is sadly out of print which details all the Sultans. Some were great warriors expanding the empire others great builders. It explains the politics of the hareem and how you needed a clever Mum if you ever wanted to make Emperor! She would need to get key people onside in the army etc. and you would have to be calculating and callous, probably murdering your own brothers to attain the throne yourself.

When you visit the hareem and palace, it will mean that much more if you have a feeling for its 1000 year history. The Romans were only around a few hundred years, the Ottomans almost a millennium. There is so much history in Istanbul, giving yourself a flavour of it beforehand, will make all the historic sites come alive.

When you visit the hareem and palace, it will mean that much more if you have a feeling for its 1000 year history. The Romans were only around a few hundred years, the Ottomans almost a millennium.
Is that true? I thought the Ottoman's were around for about 600 years and the Roman dynasty lasted for >1000 years?

Is that true? I thought the Ottoman's were around for about 600 years and the Roman dynasty lasted for >1000 years?

The history in Istanbul predates the Ottomans. The Ottomans built on Greek and Roman inspired Constantinople.

Depnds how you measure their empires 1285 - 1923 Is commonly understood dates for the Ottomans.

Rome in its pomp - 31 BC until the fall of Rome in AD 476. But as an empire I don’t think it was organised and in control of all its foreign lands for this whole time.Their large empire lasted a few hundred years I think (could be wrong).

Many saw Constantinople as being a continuation of Greek and Roman civilisation. After Rome fell a lot of the knowledge books etc moved there. But if you look at the empires in their pomp - when they controlled swathes of land, the Roman, indeed English empire too, were relatively short lived. Britain was under Roman control for 350 years for example. The Ottomans maintained their empire for a remarkably long time. It’s interesting to speculate on why that was…

Last edited:
The Ottomans maintained their empire for a remarkably long time. It’s interesting to speculate on why that was…

I always felt they had a much more concentrated control where the Romans over stretched theirs and it became increasingly difficult to defend, they started to give up areas like Mesopotamia because they acknowledged it was a stretch but probably all came abit late.

Probably similar to the British Empire, although coming alot later the same logic existed. Seemed ridiculous for this small European country to have control of the likes of India or Hong Kong

I always felt they had a much more concentrated control where the Romans over stretched theirs and it became increasingly difficult to defend, they started to give up areas like Mesopotamia because they acknowledged it was a stretch but probably all came abit late.

Probably similar to the British Empire, although coming alot later the same logic existed. Seemed ridiculous for this small European country to have control of the likes of India or Hong Kong

It is remarkable that any of these 1000 mile plus empires lasted so many hundreds of years without any fast communication, travel or digital record keeping.

The Ottomans initially embraced modern techniques in warfare which propelled them across the Middle East. Yet their downfall was not embracing gunpowder and 20th-century warfare, if they had, they would have likely swept though Europe. They had fearless well-trained warriors. Which is common to all three. But Janisaries - the Ottoman elite, taken from all over including Scandivnavians - thought they were going to heaven and virgins for their endeavours, so may even have had the edge! Another reason for their longevity may be the way the new Sultan came to power which was a kind of enhanced natural selection. It rooted out the most ambitious, cut-throat, and those who had strong support networks and good advisors (often led by their Mum!!!).

Back