• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is 175m worth killing football in the UK

Superhudd

Simon Davies
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ee-English-clubs-offered-175m-to-compete.html

Qatar's plans for Dream Football League could see English clubs offered £175m to compete

Four English clubs will reportedly be offered £175 million each to play in a 24-team 'Dream Football League' in Qatar and other Gulf countries in 2015.

By Telegraph Sport

8:22AM GMT 13 Mar 2013

Manchester United, Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal and Chelsea are among the game's aristocrats targeted by the Qatari organisers, whose astonishing plan could redraw the world football map if it gains support.

The sums dwarf those available in the Champions League, which has an annual prize fund of £595 million. Chelsea won £47.3 million for winning last season's competition. The Qatari plans would see them earn four times that amount just for accepting an invitation to compete.

The plans, which will be formally released next month, will see the four Premier League teams invited to join the 16 "permanent" DFL members. Eight other global clubs would then compete on an invitational basis. According to The Times, the DFL would take place over two years, and would be held in the summer in Qatar and neighbouring Gulf states like Bahrain and the UAE.

Neither the Premier League, Uefa, or the powerful European Clubs Association have yet responded to the proposals.

Although it remains unlikely that football's existing power structure would tear up its calendar, the money on offer is stratospheric. And it must be remembered that Qatar were considered rank outsiders before they won the rights to host the 2022 Fifa World Cup.

Untitled-1_2507860a.jpg

Qatar's investment in elite football has also seen their sovereign wealth funds invest in Barcelona, whose shirts they sponsor. And Qatar Sports Investment recently completed a takeover of Paris Saint-Germain, the French league leaders.

I say fudge off. Worst idea ever for football.
The sooner these people are removed from the game, the better.

Give it 50 years or so until their oil runs out.

Then it will be the Venezualan Fanatsy Football League.

unfortunately football is about money totally so this will eventually probably have some legs.

At least they've considered the owners/chairman's yacht mooring facilities,........not sure my oyster card stretches out that far

This is clearly to enable Emirates Marketing Project to bring in the money they need to compete.

I think they are 100m short on FFP every year. Instead of making a fanbase of decades they are thinking up different ways in order to fill the shortfall that FFP shows.

175m wouldn't mean as much to Utd, Madrid, Barca or Arsenal IMO, whereas City, Chelsea and PSG it could be there saviour to stay at the top.

For me it would kill domestic football, its bad enough with the 40m for Champions league, throw this bundle into the ring then I give up.

If the monies was spread out to the leagues that the participating teams came from, with a 25m windfall payment to the participating teams then I could see it working.. not 175m

So the maths..

175m x 4 teams = 700m

25m x 4 entered teams = 100m

600m for the Premiership

600 / 20 teams = 30m each team.

IMO the only way it works.

The teams to enter that would derive from a top 8 mini home & away playoff game. 1st v 8th, 2nd v 7th etc

Last edited:
It would be disasterous for the game and would be a pre-cursor for national leagues being dismantled in favour of Eureopan Super Leagues etc but what can FIFA or UEFA do? After all, football clubs are stand-alone private businesses as its not as if they would be breaching any regulations. The only things which spring to mind would be to say that they could ban any teams which participate in this things from also competing in the Champions League or, if domestic FAs agreed, from the Premier League etc.

If as the article suggests the competition was held in the summer then in theory a team could play in it as well as playing in their normal league and the CL. However teams would need to maintain huge squads so that, for example, a player who played in June til August in this thing could then perhaps take Sept and October off as their own individual close season.

1. The tournament is over two years so only equivalent to twice CL revenue (not 4x)

2. As it stands, Real, Barca, United and Bayern (and Arsenal to a lesser extent) have a large natural financial advantage over their competitors. This scheme will reduce the relative advantage. Likewise, the sugar-daddy clubs would find it harder to gain an advantage if 24 clubs get this money. So I don't see how it is in their interests (except possibly for United).

3. UEFA could exclude any revenue from FFP rules. Unless UEFA and/or FIFA sanction the tournament, these would just be glorified friendlies.

It would be disasterous for the game and would be a pre-cursor for national leagues being dismantled in favour of Eureopan Super Leagues etc but what can FIFA or UEFA do? After all, football clubs are stand-alone private businesses as its not as if they would be breaching any regulations. The only things which spring to mind would be to say that they could ban any teams which participate in this things from also competing in the Champions League or, if domestic FAs agreed, from the Premier League etc.

If as the article suggests the competition was held in the summer then in theory a team could play in it as well as playing in their normal league and the CL. However teams would need to maintain huge squads so that, for example, a player who played in June til August in this thing could then perhaps take Sept and October off as their own individual close season.

Or make the Premiership a 16 team league.

I was under the impression the only way you play football in that area is in our winter. There summer is like our summer, but extreme summer. 40C +

Last edited:
Or make the Premiership a 16 team league.

I was under the impression the only way you play football in that area is in our winter. There summer is like our summer, but extreme summer. 40C +

The world cup is scheduled for their summer. The bid claimed they would develop stadia with climate control. I don't think they are indoor so this presumably means massive air-conditioning, the opposite of those outside heaters many pubs and restaurants have now.

Let them take all the carbon circle oil funded clubs like City, Chelsea and fudge off forever.

Edit: This is one of the most disgusting plans I've ever heard. Why can't these rich pricks do something more worthwhile with their money.

Didn't Uefa since come out and say that they would like to change it to our winter.

Its all fine and dandy when your inside the stadium, but once you step outside, people will be collapsing left right and centre through heat exhaustion.

The world cup is scheduled for their summer. The bid claimed they would develop stadia with climate control. I don't think they are indoor so this presumably means massive air-conditioning, the opposite of those outside heaters many pubs and restaurants have now.

FIFA to consider Qatar World Cup 'winter switch'
Published March 4th, 2013

'FIFA has suggested for the first time that the 2022 World Cup in Qatar could be moved to winter if medical evidence showed that playing in the intense summer heat would be dangerous.

FIFA has previously insisted that Qatar would have to make the request to move the tournament.

But the emirate placed responsibility on world football's governing body to make the call.

According to Gulf News, in a sign that the impasse could be ending, FIFA General Secretary Jerome Valcke said the executive committee could decide on the shift to winter if the June temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Celsius are deemed dangerous.'

I would put money on it being played in the winter.

This could be really embarrassing for Oliver Kay and the Times, although Uncle Rupert has got used to embarrassment in his newspapers.

Just heard an update on the BBC world service news. The Qataris deny any knowledge of this but Kay is still saying his source is not the spoof report.

Back