• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Investing

I forget where here is for you. For some reason I think you're South African.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure in most western societies plasmas are much cheaper today than they were 3 years ago, mobile phones are cheaper (when comparing like for like features and models), clothing is much cheaper thanks to our hard working friends in Taiwan, and some plane companies practically give away flights.

I reside in South Africa - that is correct, some of your notions sadly don't apply here

Most clothes here - if anyhing are more expensive - fuel is up again, etc.

Consumer spending / confidence is also falling

It costs me the better part of 500-600 quid for the cheapest return to Europe (not London) - little has changed in the last 10 years - same for local flights

But - yes, some technology is cheaper and more affordable but that has to do with the competitive market more than the booming (?) economy

Yeah I appreciate South Africa may be a little different, especially when it comes to travel. I'd hazard a guess that in UK it is much cheaper to travel over Europe due to easy jet and other low cost airlines.

I'd be surprised if generic clothing is more expensive. Brands and labels fair enough.

Here, my electricity bill has practically doubled in the last 2 years. Fuel is expensive, though nothing like they pay in other countries. Insurance up. Property prices and rents going down though.

What are people saying about spread betting? Looks slightly easier to get decent returns on and probably a bit more fun as well.

Thinking of hedging on Apple shares going up which they will with the spike from the new iPhone.

What are people saying about spread betting? Looks slightly easier to get decent returns on and probably a bit more fun as well.

Thinking of hedging on Apple shares going up which they will with the spike from the new iPhone.

Risky

Their market cap is ridiculous

But if you bet it on going up in cents then I think there is money to be made.

Look at their share price graph - http://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

Over the last year its more or less been constantly going up and with a slew of new products out (they didnt update the ipod touch last year and the rumoured mini iPad) and the sales for iPhone 5 which are already far more than any iPhone to date I think its reasonably to think they could reach $750 within a few months.

They are already up 0.65% in little over an hour today

Last edited:
Spread betting is too risky for me, I want my money sitting safe earning something reasonable. Plenty of money to be made though

Any of you guys have any knowledge about investing? I've got a bit of cash around and with the pathetic bank interest rates I'm somewhat keen to get involved. Any broker recommendations?

Also I'm first of all looking to get in to gold, with QE in the USA, Japan and possibly more here before the end of the year it seems a good bet to keep rising and hedge against inevitable inflation. Weighing up my options between physical gold or ETFs, both have their drawbacks. Alternatively looking at BullionVault as they have lower cost than ETFs and avoid the hassle of storing physical gold.

Are you investing for the short, medium or long term? Right now the bank shares are poor (although I just made a nice tidy profit from Barclays shares) and you won't go wrong investing in a large stable bank like HSBC or Barclays. I fully expect their shares to be at least double what they're worth now in 10 years time.

South got any tips mate? I have £3k to invest. What broker do you use?

I use Hargreaves Lansdown

You can probably find cheaper, but they are very reputable

I have a Stocks & Shares account and an ISA account

My recommendations would be to do lots of research and make sure you read fool.co.uk everyday

Also, make sure you invest AT LEAST £1K in each purchase, as a minimum. Otherwise you'll need to make significant gains before you're in profit.

If I had £3K to spend, and wanted short terms gains, I'd look at Mining and Banking.

Don't bother investing in blue chips with high dividends for short term gains. (i.e. ignore Unilever, GSK, Diageo, tesco etc)

They are stocks for long term investment (5 years or more)

Perhaps even look on the AIM stock market. See if you can sniff out a bargain.

Lastly, you MUST register on this site and trawl the free boards:
http://uk.advfn.com

Are you investing for the short, medium or long term? Right now the bank shares are poor (although I just made a nice tidy profit from Barclays shares) and you won't go wrong investing in a large stable bank like HSBC or Barclays. I fully expect their shares to be at least double what they're worth now in 10 years time.

Im mainly just looking to move my money out of banks until interest rates rise, 0.5% from a current account might as well be zero, so I guess short term is probably the answer. I don't have a huge amount so really just dipping my toe in to the water tbh

Back