• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Individual mistakes how can we stop making so many.

If nobody made a mistake, football would be quite boring.

The monumental brainfarts, like passing straight to an opposition player or giving away stupid pens in the corner of the 18 yard box, should be avoided though.
I watch a lot of tennis. They have the distinction between "forced" and "unforced" errors, and I think it's a useful distinction across a range of sports. If a stray pass is the result of a player being put under pressure by the opposition closing him down; that's very much a forced error.

It's an unforced error, though, when a player is under no pressure and just casually gifts the ball to the other team with a sloppy pass.

Obviously you work hard on the training field to eliminate both types of error. You try to get the players to be more composed even under pressure so that they can cope better with being closed down. And you do regular drills to build and maintain player focus so that the brainfarts get minimised.

But it's the unforced errors that are the big concern. Those are far more under a player's control, so it's within a player's power to minimise them. If they fail to do that, then it's unlikely they'll fulfil their potential in other areas of their game either. On top of that; if a player is consistently guilty of multiple unforced errors in a match, they very quickly become a liability to the team, the fans start to get on their back, and that rarely improves matters.

As I say though, the great thing about unforced errors though, is precisely the fact that they can be minimised with hard work and dedication. And that's doubly true in the case of young players.

If nobody made a mistake, football would be quite boring.

The monumental brainfarts, like passing straight to an opposition player or giving away stupid pens in the corner of the 18 yard box, should be avoided though.

I agree, my comment wasn't totally serious.

Could we not bring someone in like Ledley King or Gary Mabbutt to coach our defence?

King's on the coaching staff and doing his badges. Mabbutt couldn't go on the training pitch for health reasons (since that blockage scare in his leg a few years back).

But we also have an Argentine world cup CB in our ranks (cough Pochettino)

King's on the coaching staff and doing his badges. Mabbutt couldn't go on the training pitch for health reasons (since that blockage scare in his leg a few years back).

But we also have an Argentine world cup CB in our ranks (cough Pochettino)

Judging by our play this season and last season Poch could do with some help in that respect.

Judging by our play this season and last season Poch could do with some help in that respect.

Equally you could look at his record at Southampton and say that he doesn't need that much help in the coaching department but rather in the understanding of the players, and perhaps better players.

Back