• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

IMAX cinemas

africanspurs

Justin Edinburgh
Hello guys, want to see the avengers at an IMax 3d...i was wondering if all the IMAX cinemas were as big as each other (i've never been to one)...and if not whats the difference between an IMAX cinema 3d experience and a normal cinema 3d experience

Pretty sure the one in Waterloo is the biggest on the country, the Odeon ones are still massive but not as big. Never seen a 3D film at iMax but I understand the 3D is the same you'll a a regular cinema. Avatars 3D was a bit different though so not sure.

Pretty sure the one in Waterloo is the biggest on the country, the Odeon ones are still massive but not as big. Never seen a 3D film at iMax but I understand the 3D is the same you'll a a regular cinema. Avatars 3D was a bit different though so not sure.

cheers....i just want the best possible experience for me and one other.

thing si that it isnt showing in waterloo that i can tell...which is wierd considering how much of an epic it is you know.

anyone else have any thoughts

The one in Waterloo is the biggest in Europe. I've been there (free btw) loads of times and it's amazing.

Have you seen a non 3D IMAX film? IMAX is incredible, huge crystal clear screen, really crisp sound, with massive speakers in the corners at the back. It drowns out any sound from other patrons such as talking and rustling. It's amazing and if you ever have the choice to see a film in IMAX do it, it costs more but is so worth it

Have you seen a non 3D IMAX film? IMAX is incredible, huge crystal clear screen, really crisp sound, with massive speakers in the corners at the back. It drowns out any sound from other patrons such as talking and rustling. It's amazing and if you ever have the choice to see a film in IMAX do it, it costs more but is so worth it

okay, seems like we have a plan here......

The Dark Knight Rises in July will feature over an hour of the film filmed with IMAX cameras, taking up the WHOLE screen.

Can't fooking wait for that!

The Dark Knight Rises in July will feature over an hour of the film filmed with IMAX cameras, taking up the WHOLE screen.

Can't fooking wait for that!

Can you still watch a movie at an IMAX without it being 3D? I hate 3D, it's rubbish.

Avengers is going to be the biggest let down since Wolverine.

I don't think it will be that bad mate, going by the same viewpoint as you (comic reader) it seems ok. Only one way to find out though I suppose.

OT a tad but just started 100 Bullets, liking it so far.

I don't think it will be that bad mate, going by the same viewpoint as you (comic reader) it seems ok. Only one way to find out though I suppose.

OT a tad but just started 100 Bullets, liking it so far.

Best series of the last 20 years mate, apparently there is an HBO style TV series in the offing, I wait with baited breath.

On Avengers: I have just looked on Rotten Toms and I have to say I am now exited! Great reviews and the only splat was actually positive when you read the whole review.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55158

The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article about the success of IMAX, specifically focusing on Hollywood's desire to get their mainstream cinematic product onto IMAX screens.

Buried within the article is an orgasmically compelling paragraph revealing roughly how much of Christopher Nolan's THE DARK KNIGHT RISES will be presented in native IMAX format (i.e. shot specifically for IMAX by IMAX cameras and presented in full IMAX) when the film hits theaters late July.

When Mr. Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises" opens July 20, it will contain the most IMAX footage ever for a Hollywood feature, more than one hour's worth. There were 40 minutes of such footage in 2008's "The Dark Knight"—which set box-office records in its opening weekend. IMAX's summer slate also includes potential blockbusters "The Avengers," "The Amazing Spider-Man," "Men in Black 3," Tim Burton's gothic comedy "Dark Shadows," and Ridley Scott's 3-D "Prometheus." Mr. Nolan's film was the only one shot using IMAX cameras; the others were converted using IMAX's technology.

Fascinating.

Now, what I'm REALLY curious about is exactly what percentage of DARK KNIGHT RISES this "over a hour of IMAX footage"actually represents. There was recently industry scuttlebutt that early cuts of the film clocked in at well over three hours long. 'Tis inconceivable that Warners would issue a mega-sized DARK KNIGHT RISES...at least one that ginormous...isn't it? Or is it? Perhaps AVATAR's close-to-three hour running time and the indisputable success of that film might inspire them to at least be open to the notion?

In the end, I'm sure the running time will be what it was meant to/needs to be (paraphrasing Ridley Scott's recent comments bout PROMETHEUS' rating/length). Interesting food for thought, nonetheless...

Yeah it looks like its been don well, Joss Whedon isn't it? he is a geek wizard so knows his stuff.

Yeah I'm enjoying it so far, it needs to beat Preacher for me, def my favourite comic series.

Hello guys, want to see the avengers at an IMax 3d...i was wondering if all the IMAX cinemas were as big as each other (i've never been to one)...and if not whats the difference between an IMAX cinema 3d experience and a normal cinema 3d experience

There's actually a huge variation in the size of IMAX screens, the Waterloo IMAX has now been usurped by Manchester IMAX as the largest screen in the UK. Most Odeon IMAX and Cineworld IMAX screens are just regular auditoriums that have been retrofitted to the new IMAX Digital standard which has been nicknamed "LieMAX" as the screens aren't much bigger than a regular cinema screen.

Q&A: How Do I Know If My IMAX Theatre is Real 70mm IMAX or lieMAX (Digital IMAX)? | /Film

For a movie like Avengers Assemble which was filmed on regular 35mm cameras and merely upscaled digitally in post-production then it probably won't make much difference as that process invariably makes fast moving scenes appear somewhat blurred when viewed on the giant IMAX screens.

How Regular Movies Become "IMAX" Films | Gizmodo

However for a movie like The Dark Knight Rises a trip to a proper IMAX screen like Waterloo is highly recommended as the footage filmed on 70mm cameras looks incredible and shats on gimmicky 3D from a great height 8)

imaxUKscreensizes.jpg

I went and saw Avengers at the Crawley Imax. We were sat about 5 rows back and it felt too close. Great film but a lot of the early action was hard to follow, a bit blurry. Some parts of the screeen didn't appear to actually work in 3D. The overall visual and sonic experience was great but make sure you sit further back.

Back