• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Am hoping the rumours of a deal are BS. No need to feel rushed to sell him right now. Put him on bench for now and see how he does until January.
Still **** then, by all means sell/loan at that point.

But not now.

There are two problems: 1) Poch selects players on merit. We don't know what Lamela is like in training but based on competitive games, he doesn't warrant a place.

2) With NJ, maybe even Berahino, Dembele looking decent playing from the wing, not to mention Townsend and Pritchard (+Chadli, Alli) we're overstocked. Lamela will not get games which is what he needs to find form.

Lamela himself can be a decent. He needs a strong structure I feel, to keep his game tight, and from there he could express himself. In Poch's team he's everywhere and nowhere. Trying to do everything and does nothing. When he was subbed on recently they were not easy games to hit the ground running, and Lamela may have done better with clear instruction e.g. against Stoke - get goal side, keep it tight first and foremost, then break with the ball when space opens up.

If he could do the simple things well it would help him get a foothold. He's clearly not confident and is trying his heart out. But it is not working, so sell imo.

Last edited:
How about a (dreaded, never happens ever) player swap back to Roma for Adem Ljajic?

I don't know how much money either are worth though.

It would be stupid to sell Lamela now! He will come good. He was unlucky with injuries the first season, and a mix of that and the added tempo of the PL made him struggle and lose confidence, which he's yet to regain. I'd loan him out until new year, but NOT with option to buy! Loan him out to get confidence, bring him back and see him flourish.

It would be stupid to sell Lamela now! He will come good. He was unlucky with injuries the first season, and a mix of that and the added tempo of the PL made him struggle and lose confidence, which he's yet to regain. I'd loan him out until new year, but NOT with option to buy! Loan him out to get confidence, bring him back and see him flourish.

I think that ship has sailed. I think we're cutting our losses, and to be honest I can see why. I'd rather he made it with us, but I hope he has a really succesful career.

What is interesting is that this leaves us quite short and will put a lot of pressure on our squad. In my mind this must mean that they are feeling very confident about landing a number of targets or are thinking that there is going to be a lot of activity in the next week that we can take advantage of. Taking Ade and Lennon out of the equation, I think this must mean that Lloris, Kane, Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Bentaleb are our highest earners none of whom are that close to £100k a week. That's quite a bit to go and get a few experienced higher waged people. This next week is going to be very interesting.

well to end my self imposed exile from this thread.

Kandi, normally im with you 100%...but....

If the quotes I have read from the players Father(and agent) are true...as in they want to go back to Italy then its pretty obvious he is not focused enough on us or bothered enough to be making a go of things with us in the long run.

I trust Levy to be savvy enough in any loan deal.

I know some will be celebrating his departure but I will genuinely feel annoyed and very sad about it because as was said earlier 'I know there is a player in there' Well thats how I think anyway.

It also changes my theory that we need to sign 3 players....if Lamela goes then we will need 4 unless Poch is brave enough to trust Pritchard, Onomah & Winks.

There is nothing to celebrate when transfers fail.He tried but just doesn't have the tools for the PL.The fee is not his fault .The will probably be the last rites for Baldini clearing up the mess he created.

I think if Lamela does go this window (as seems ever more likely given all the reports in the last day or so) it could have very big implications for the potential to attract young up-and-coming stars from abroad long-term.

As we know, Lamela didn't set the feeand unlike other players many of us have been happy to hound as they were departing, Lamela hasn't shown himself to be a premadonna talking us down to the press, or one that thinks he is above hard work - or even above being substituted for poor performances. I also doubt he is anywhere near the highest earners or goes around with an attitude where he thinks he should be. He is young and from what we can see has always had the attitude to knuckle down and work hard - firstly to recover from the bad back injury he had in his first season and then also to fight his way back into the team when Poch first came.
It's amazing how a very poor performance vs Stoke can trigger such an immediate change of opinion in him long-term from so many at once; almost like some kind of Hive-mind: many before were fustrated but willing to give him time due to his potential then immediately and seemingly at the same time wanted him out pronto. This after two seasons of being with us; one of which was effectively a write-off due to coach changes and injury.

The guy was 21 years old when he joined us FFS. For those who since the game vs Stoke 10 days ago: Are players not allowed to have a dip even at the age of 23? Why can the solution not be a spell on the bench or reserves before seeing if they can return to form? Why straight away a sale is necessary?

It seems mostly the same people who have wanted him out wee the same who were screaming for Sodado to go too. In the case of Soldado, i thought this was fair enough: he was a seasoned pro bought to be our number one striker and for a lot of money. At his age, it was fair enough he couldn't be afforded time. But Lamela is younger and needs the fans/club as much as we need him and it' very sad how vitriolic some of you 'haters' have become in a short time. GHod forbid, Pritchard, Alli, Bentaleb, Onomah etc have bad spells - would they need to be bined after a year and a half?

For some of you who have been screaming blue murder re Lamela since the Stoke game ("sell him now, he's brick","our worst ever buy", "Come on Levy, do your magic") just remember your attitude when the next bright young stars from overseas (who bring attributes we may tend not to bring thorugh in our academy) keep using our intererst in signing them to get a new bumper contract at their current clubs to skip joining us and wait for the Madrids, Barcas, Chelskis and Manures. When that happens think back to how impatient you've been during this Lamela episode and ask yourself "why should they come to us anyway?"

I think if Lamela does go this window (as seems ever more likely given all the reports in the last day or so) it could have very big implications for the potential to attract young up-and-coming stars from abroad long-term.

As we know, Lamela didn't set the feeand unlike other players many of us have been happy to hound as they were departing, Lamela hasn't shown himself to be a premadonna talking us down to the press, or one that thinks he is above hard work - or even above being substituted for poor performances. I also doubt he is anywhere near the highest earners or goes around with an attitude where he thinks he should be. He is young and from what we can see has always had the attitude to knuckle down and work hard - firstly to recover from the bad back injury he had in his first season and then also to fight his way back into the team when Poch first came.
It's amazing how a very poor performance vs Stoke can trigger such an immediate change of opinion in him long-term from so many at once; almost like some kind of Hive-mind: many before were fustrated but willing to give him time due to his potential then immediately and seemingly at the same time wanted him out pronto. This after two seasons of being with us; one of which was effectively a write-off due to coach changes and injury.

The guy was 21 years old when he joined us FFS. For those who since the game vs Stoke 10 days ago: Are players not allowed to have a dip even at the age of 23? Why can the solution not be a spell on the bench or reserves before seeing if they can return to form? Why straight away a sale is necessary?

It seems mostly the same people who have wanted him out wee the same who were screaming for Sodado to go too. In the case of Soldado, i thought this was fair enough: he was a seasoned pro bought to be our number one striker and for a lot of money. At his age, it was fair enough he couldn't be afforded time. But Lamela is younger and needs the fans/club as much as we need him and it' very sad how vitriolic some of you 'haters' have become in a short time. GHod forbid, Pritchard, Alli, Bentaleb, Onomah etc have bad spells - would they need to be bined after a year and a half?

For some of you who have been screaming blue murder re Lamela since the Stoke game ("sell him now, he's ****","our worst ever buy", "Come on Levy, do your magic") just remember your attitude when the next bright young stars from overseas (who bring attributes we may tend not to bring thorugh in our academy) keep using our intererst in signing them to get a new bumper contract at their current clubs to skip joining us and wait for the Madrids, Barcas, Chelskis and Manures. When that happens think back to how impatient you've been during this Lamela episode and ask yourself "why should they come to us anyway?"

i think we will be fine with attracting young players.

they can look at lamela and know that they will have over 2 years to show significant improvemnet / adjustment at which point things may get re-evaluated. those that feel is not enough time for them to develop probably are not the ones we want and sure as fire hurts shouldnt be costing a tottenham transfer record fee

then there is also the option to show them the success stories. and also re-iterate the fact that we arent a health clinic thats here solely to take care of them....we will do our best but you also have to do your part young squire

its funny, my opinion of him hasnt actually changed since i made that comment after his first match for us

i think we will be fine with attracting young players.

they can look at lamela and know that they will have over 2 years to show significant improvemnet / adjustment at which point things may get re-evaluated. those that feel is not enough time for them to develop probably are not the ones we want and sure as fire hurts shouldnt be costing a tottenham transfer record fee

then there is also the option to show them the success stories. and also re-iterate the fact that we arent a health clinic thats here solely to take care of them....we will do our best but you also have to do your part young squire

its funny, my opinion of him hasnt actually changed since i made that comment after his first match for us

That's all well and good if it was ACTUALLY 2 years. It's effectively 18 months given his injury and the AVB/Sherwood changover turmoil.
It's why i think we should have waited until the next window to see if any significant improvement is shown; if not, fair enough- see ya later squire as you say.

With the comments from Gomes and no doubt some others i don't think we will be as attractive to young up-and-coming players from overseas as you think...Eriksen may be our last poster boy and he perhaps could be seen not to want to be hear atm either...

For some of you who have been screaming blue murder re Lamela since the Stoke game ("sell him now, he's ****","our worst ever buy", "Come on Levy, do your magic") just remember your attitude when the next bright young stars from overseas (who bring attributes we may tend not to bring thorugh in our academy) keep using our intererst in signing them to get a new bumper contract at their current clubs to skip joining us and wait for the Madrids, Barcas, Chelskis and Manures. When that happens think back to how impatient you've been during this Lamela episode and ask yourself "why should they come to us anyway?"

Good post.

That's all well and good if it was ACTUALLY 2 years. It's effectively 18 months given his injury and the AVB/Sherwood changover turmoil.
It's why i think we should have waited until the next window to see if any significant improvement is shown; if not, fair enough- see ya later squire as you say.

With the comments from Gomes and no doubt some others i don't think we will be as attractive to young up-and-coming players from overseas as you think...Eriksen may be our last poster boy and he perhaps could be seen not to want to be hear atm either...

I am more satisfied in the belief that young players in general see Spurs as a place where young players are given a chance. As for Lamela, well suffice to say all you have to do is look at the likes of Paulinho, Soldado, Chicriches, Stambouli, Fazio and Capoue to work out whatever the problem is it is not an issue relating to "young" players from abroad, that would be very misleading

I disagree with just about every one of your points....

Firstly I don't think we'll have any issue attracting young players, they get a chance to perform at Spurs, which is all one can ask for.

I would also imagine that having paid £26 million for him (although I have seen £30 million in a few reports recently?) he actually IS one of our highest paid players, I would say certainly among the top 5 or 6 anyway.

It is not a poor performance against Stoke that has resulted in most wanting to cut their losses, it is a consistent run of poor performances with no real sign of improvement. The Stoke performance was not really a stand out bad performance, it was actually close to the level of his normal performance with his good performances being the rarity. It's not about having a dip in form at 23, it is about him having shown virtually nothing over a two year period that suggests he is good enough to play for Spurs. If he showed unbelievable skill but needed to work harder then I could understand keeping him, but it is the opposite, he generally works very hard but he just has a really poor technique.

If you think that a young player would not join a club like Spurs because a 26 (30?) million pound player performed poorly for two years before being allowed to go back to play for a big club in Italy, then I think you are very much mistaken. I think most talented young players would back themselves to actually adapt and perform during those two years and would be delighted to play for a club as big as Spurs in the Premier League and earn themselves two or three times as much money while doing so.

Back