• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

How did we not score in that match?

Great performance from him and a real shame that goal at the end didn't go in. The bar is set.

"Great" performance? Not a shot on goal, nor an assist and in most instances his runs end up hitting the first City player in sight. I'm not saying he had a bad game, mind you, but "great performance"?! Bale against Inter was a great performance... Our aspirations have truly taken a beating....

"Great" performance? Not a shot on goal, nor an assist and in most instances his runs end up hitting the first City player in sight. I'm not saying he had a bad game, mind you, but "great performance"?! Bale against Inter was a great performance... Our aspirations have truly taken a beating....
FFS mate...lighten up. He should have had a a few assists if we have taken our chances and a goal for himself on top.

How about... Kane against Arsenal then? Or Chadli against Saudi Sportswashing Machine last year? Or Eriksen against Sunderland?

Kane against Arsenal was two great finishes.
Chadli against Saudi Sportswashing Machine last year was a great finish.
Eriksen against Sunderland was meh, another last minute winner.

Quite baffling you pick those games but not mention Kane or Chadlis performance against Chelsea which were great performances. Instead you picked three games where the players themselves didnt do much bar score.

Wasn't that a shot on goal at the end? And he set up several excellent chances, not his fault others couldn't take them.

Describing Bale against Inter as a great performance shows a severe lack of vocabulary in my opinion. Lamela was our best attacking player in a game where we pretty much matched Emirates Marketing Project and created quite a few chances. Perhaps great is a bit strong, but only marginally so. What's wrong with a touch of optimism? Rather that than the faint praise of "not saying he had a bad game".

Lamela might not be doing the business consistently on the pitch, but he can apply eye liner with the best of them. And at the end of the day we all know thats what really counts.

Ha yeah, Bale against Inter was a once-in-a-lifetime thing as a fan. To see a player single-handedly ruin the reputation of at-the-time world's highest rated right-back.

Ha yeah, Bale against Inter was a once-in-a-lifetime thing as a fan. To see a player single-handedly ruin the reputation of at-the-time world's highest rated right-back.
Reminds me of a shift Dozzell put in away at Ipswich one year. Majestic.

Thought he had a decent game against Emirates Marketing Project. His set piece deliveries were the consistently good, he got into some good areas and showed for the ball.

The downside for me was that he did give the ball away at times with sloppy passing and that his dribbling was poor. He's slow to get going and often cuts inside looking to lay it off and find the return. There is no real penetration from him when he's running with the ball although some of his passes did put Emirates Marketing Project under pressure.

Certainly an encouraging display.

Yeah Lamela was good against Emirates Marketing Project, but "great" is a stretch. It almost comes as a surprise when he plays well given how badly he has underperformed.

Our best performance of the season came against Chelsea when Lamela wasn't playing.

Will be interesting to see how people grade his overall performance this season assuming there will some kind of end of season ratings thread.

Quite baffling you pick those games but not mention Kane or Chadlis performance against Chelsea which were great performances. Instead you picked three games where the players themselves didnt do much bar score.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Not baffling at all... but then we clearly have different expectations.

My expectation of Lamela is for him to be a game changer; if that means regularly coming up with a last minute game winner, I am more than happy. If it is providing a proper assist to our 30 goal scoring striker or to our 10+ scoring midfielders, then that is also good enough for me. That is my benchmark!

You have clearly set the bar at a different - I would say lower - level; hence our different perspectives.

My expectation of Lamela is for him to be a game changer; if that means regularly coming up with a last minute game winner, I am more than happy. If it is providing a proper assist to our 30 goal scoring striker or to our 10+ scoring midfielders, then that is also good enough for me. That is my benchmark!

You have clearly set the bar at a different - I would say lower - level; hence our different perspectives.

Well you're clearly getting me mixed up with someone else as I haven't once said Lamelas performance was great..

No. It's just that some people do not limit themselves to only talking about assists or goals when talking about performance.

These will be the same people that can claim that a player overall played poorly despite scoring a goal.

To me the performance of setting up a good goalscoring chance is made no difference by if the goal is scored or not. Is Lamela's corner to Dier any worse because Dier put it wide? Is his free kick to Paulinho any worse because Paulinho missed it (and was offside)? Is his pass to Kane any worse because Kane's first touch let him down and he ultimately put it wide? I don't think so. Thus I think it makes sense to talk about performance without looking only at goals and assists.

That's not a lower bar.

Back