• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

There seems to be a fair amount of virtue signaling going on over this.
If he is say 0.1 as opposed to 0.08 then he's been a silly boy and will take what whatever punishment he is due and we should move on.
If it turns out he is way over the limit then yes throw the book at him.
We should remember two things, alcohol intake and its effects is not a scientific absolute. There is a serious of variables at play that make it nigh on impossible to know how much is in your blood stream until the test is done.
Then there is a difference between drink driving, ie driving with alcohol in your blood stream and drunk driving.

It depends, I used to work for a large media organisation where any criminal conviction would result in dismissal.

That’s a breach of employment law, at least after two years of tenure.

Obviously imprisonment, or loss of driving license, could make the employee unable to work and so dismissal would be reasonable. But dismissal for any conviction is a non-starter.

I’ve had that conversation with HR and done the research as a middle manager in two large media organisations.

He made a fudging mistake... For which we don't know the details.... Was ten times dude over the limit, or just slightly over?

No one on here made a mistake ever? Because I have made plenty. We shouldn't take away the captaincy or even fine him. We should stand by him.

Show some fudging loyalty.

He made a fudging mistake... For which we don't know the details.... Was ten times dude over the limit, or just slightly over?

No one on here made a mistake ever? Because I have made plenty. We shouldn't take away the captaincy or even fine him. We should stand by him.

Loyalty doesnt mean discipline. As a parent, I discipline my children BECAUSE I love them. Lloris is one of my fave players but he has made a very big error of judgement here. I doubt he will be allowed to continue as captain. Either Harry or Jan will step in.

For me there needs to be a reaction from the club. What exactly that should be I don't know, not knowing the details, but there should be a reaction.

I'm sure we've all made mistakes, I know I have, and for some mistakes there are consequences.

Lloris has responsibility over and beyond a regular player as our captain. Responsibility to be a role model for the other players in our team, for our academy players and for fans of the club and of him around the world. Pochettino demands a lot from his players, the captain should be a leader and an example for the rest. Perhaps as a culture we shouldn't put athletes forward as role models as much as we do, but for the club that's what it is. For me it would reflect poorly on the club and Pochettino to have no negative reaction to this blatant and dangerous lack of professionalism.

Of course at the same time he should be supported, he should be shown loyalty, and forgiveness.

Sadly it is the way of modern life. There are a LOT of talkers sadly. Glasshouses and all that. The pathetic bit is that unless you also come out with your pick-axe to bury Lloris 6ft under, you are (depending on which faceless message you read on the internet) an apologist, condoning drunk driving or wearing Spurs goggles.

I have had this discussion in another place today, and I will make my position clear as a bell once more.
Drunk driving is terrible.
Hugo Lloris has been at best stupid and at worst extremely reckless.
I believe it is a teaching moment for the player.
I am satisfied that he has offered an unequivocal apology, regardless of whether he had two glasses of wine with dinner or it was more serious.
I trust in Pochettino to levy the appropriate reprisals and punishments for his behavior.
I am very, very uncomfortable with the levels of sanctimony and judgement I have seen in some places yesterday into today.

I think clearly the people saying he should never play for the club again are taking it a bit too far but I don’t see too much wrong with most of the reactions in this thread that are saying what a stupid decision he has made. You say it yourself there, but there are a lot of people saying ‘we don’t know how over the limit he was’ and trying to find other ways of saying it’s not that bad. A guy in his position should nowhere near need to take the risk. One, because he is a footballer that could afford a helicopter to take him home if there was the slightest doubt in his mind that he had gotten himself over the limit. But secondly because he is the captain and supposed to set an example from top to bottom through the club. He will hopefully be fine, as Rooney and Firmino haven’t ruined their careers from the same problem, but it’s almost worse coming from Hugo because the expectations are more with him. He had extra responsibility as captain and someone that is supposed to represent the highest standards of professionalism at the club, and it’s a really shame he has given anyone a reason to doubt him. But this is not withstanding the fact that it is really stupid to take the risk anyway. I don’t think it’s glass housing to say that - I’ve never come close to drink driving because I just don’t take the risk - it’s very easy not to.

Two captains is a cracking idea.

You sure?

30552-43816-v4_product_img.jpg

JmFZ2d

The amount of vitriol in this thread makes me very unhappy. Not really because of Lloris, but because of how much of a rule loving, illogical nation a lot of England has become.

If he was slightly over the limit then it’s stupid of him, but hardly that big a crime, or even that dangerous.

When I used to live in Spain people would DD all the time (I didn’t, breathalysed once at 3am zero reading), yet nobody I knew ever had an accident because they were sensible enough to drive carefully.

Speeding / driving dangerously is way, way worse.

Anyone saying strip him of the captaincy or never play again (!) blows my mind.

The amount of vitriol in this thread makes me very unhappy. Not really because of Lloris, but because of how much of a rule loving, illogical nation a lot of England has become.

If he was slightly over the limit then it’s stupid of him, but hardly that big a crime, or even that dangerous.

When I used to live in Spain people would DD all the time (I didn’t, breathalysed once at 3am zero reading), yet nobody I knew ever had an accident because they were sensible enough to drive carefully.

Speeding / driving dangerously is way, way worse.

Anyone saying strip him of the captaincy or never play again (!) blows my mind.

Oh...well as long as they were sensible enough to drive carefully, that’s ok then.

Oh...well as long as they were sensible enough to drive carefully, that’s ok then.

Oh no! Someone had a glass of wine and drove a car, we’re all going to die!!

It must be really dangerous because The Daily Mail told me.

(I can write patronising replies too, not sure how that adds anything to the discussion)

(I can write patronising replies too, not sure how that adds anything to the discussion)

A glass is different to glasses... and I don’t cars how careful you drive it’s still illegal, wrong and fudging dangerous

It’s a lot to do with reactions times more than anything and I’ve seen enough examples of people being drunk and not being able to react to the most basic of things

It’s a lot to do with reactions times more than anything and I’ve seen enough examples of people being drunk and not being able to react to the most basic of things

Sure. I agree with that & agree DD should rightly be illegal.

My point is that Hugo has broken a law and it’s the job of the legal system to deal with it. I’m confused by the reactions of people saying he should be punished further.

There’s no reason for him not to play or lose his captaincy.

Driving 100mph+ could be more dangerous (depending on the specific circumstances), yet nobody seems to care when players get speeding tickets.

Reactions: DTA
Sure. I agree with that & agree DD should rightly be illegal.

My point is that Hugo has broken a law and it’s the job of the legal system to deal with it. I’m confused by the reactions of people saying he should be punished further.

There’s no reason for him not to play or lose his captaincy.

Driving 100mph+ could be more dangerous (depending on the specific circumstances), yet nobody seems to care when players get speeding tickets.

It’s ALL dangerous and irresponsible But I agree speeding is strangely more acceptable

It’s ALL dangerous and irresponsible But I agree speeding is strangely more acceptable

That’s a v diplomatic reply, and I can agree with that.

Sure he’ll lose his license etc. and prob damaged his commercial relationships / money.

No need to stop him playing unless specifically in his contract imo

Reactions: DTA
Sadly it is the way of modern life. There are a LOT of talkers sadly. Glasshouses and all that. The pathetic bit is that unless you also come out with your pick-axe to bury Lloris 6ft under, you are (depending on which faceless message you read on the internet) an apologist, condoning drunk driving or wearing Spurs goggles.

I have had this discussion in another place today, and I will make my position clear as a bell once more.
Drunk driving is terrible.
Hugo Lloris has been at best stupid and at worst extremely reckless.
I believe it is a teaching moment for the player.
I am satisfied that he has offered an unequivocal apology, regardless of whether he had two glasses of wine with dinner or it was more serious.
I trust in Pochettino to levy the appropriate reprisals and punishments for his behavior.
I am very, very uncomfortable with the levels of sanctimony and judgement I have seen in some places yesterday into today.
Completely agree Steff. No one even knows the details yet FFS, but he should be sacked, stripped of the captaincy, dropped from the side!

Hmm...I’m the least Daily Mail reading type guy ever. But I’ll patronise when I think the point is ridiculous. As has been said above me, it’s about reaction time. The idea of someone thinking they are fine is irrelevant to how dangerous they could actually be. And I would say people taking that into their own hands and ignoring the law is actually stupid and dangerous and deserves to be patronised, frankly.

Blimey I worked in media for nearly 40 years and seen a blind eye turn to virtually any crime you could think of as long as it could be kept quiet.

Yeah, it was a change from most of my employment period there, the company had a lot of bad press for a few things so zero tolerance edicts were passed down. I had a colleague lose his job for a very unfortunate common assault charge, he got a lucky punch in after he and his boyfriend were attacked by a group, he only received a short community service stint but he was still out on his ear.

I'm with @elyid on the principle. But the difference is cultural. In Britain people would not be able to do the responsible side.

As far as Hugo goes. He has committed a crime and set a poor example.
He will face the legal punishment and be treated equally under the club's disciplinary procedure.
To not do so would undermine everything the current set up stands for.

That will probably include taking away the captaincy. Rightly so.

He also seems like the kind of character to fully accept that.
You do wrong, you accept responsibility, you take the punishment, you move forward. That's it.

There is also an opportunity for Poch here. He knows Hugo will react positively - great chance to show what kind of attitude is needed to come from an error in judgement/personality.

Back