• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

still behind Clemence and Thorsvedt for me but I'm probably older than you

I'd put him behind Jennings I think. The game has evolved a lot and I suppose in a way its different for keepers, but Pat is one of the players from that era who I would say without doubt would be good in the PL today.

I think he's got a slightly tweaked groin. But should be okay for city. Just shows the sound business we did in the summer. Vorm is quality. We have genuine strength in depth in defence.

Lloris doubtful for France friendly

France goalkeeper and captain Hugo Lloris is a doubt for his country's friendly at home to Portugal on Saturday because of a groin problem which forced him to miss training.

The Tottenham Hotspur 'keeper had already worked apart from the rest of his international colleagues on Tuesday and his absence from Wednesday's behind-closed-doors session casts further doubt over his chances of featuring against Portugal.

If he does miss out, Marseille's Steve Mandanda, who missed the World Cup due to injury, will replace him and win his 17th cap.

http://www.football.co.uk/tottenham...friendly_rss5039880.shtml#W5c1cj1Sdfov5zWp.97

He's without doubt the best Spurs keeper in my lifetime.

gomes at the beginning of his career here for me.

if loris gets over his slow start (couple of boo boos, too many punchaways) and keeps on doing what he is doing this season then I see him eclipsing gomes by the end of the season.

gomes at the beginning of his career here for me.

if loris gets over his slow start (couple of boo boos, too many punchaways) and keeps on doing what he is doing this season then I see him eclipsing gomes by the end of the season.

Are you being serious? That's a serious question by the way.

Are you being serious? That's a serious question by the way.
I think he is referring to Gomes in the CL qualifying season where he was easily the best keeper in the league. And I agree with him really. That was the some of the best goalkeeping I have witnessed. Some of the saves were frankly ridiculous.

Lloris did have a bit of a rocky start though he is well on the way to eclipsing Gomes 'good season' with consistent displays.

I'd put him behind Jennings I think. The game has evolved a lot and I suppose in a way its different for keepers, but Pat is one of the players from that era who I would say without doubt would be good in the PL today.

before my time sadly

I think he is referring to Gomes in the CL qualifying season where he was easily the best keeper in the league. And I agree with him really. That was the some of the best goalkeeping I have witnessed. Some of the saves were frankly ridiculous.

Lloris did have a bit of a rocky start though he is well on the way to eclipsing Gomes 'good season' with consistent displays.

I remember the season you refer to. Despite playing well Gomes always 'had a Gomes' in him even then. Hugo looks at constant ease and is so far in front of anything I've ever seen from Gomes it's untrue.

I remember the season you refer to. Despite playing well Gomes always 'had a Gomes' in him even then. Hugo looks at constant ease and is so far in front of anything I've ever seen from Gomes it's untrue.

beware the "recency effect".

i'm a lloris fan and hope he continues his recent form, but i'm not blind to his weaknesses.

typically i wouldn't post these about lloris but since you want me to be "serious" and to defend what i think is a more objective and 360-degree evaluation of lloris:

here is an interesting analysis about lloris positioning and inability to get down to save a low drive across goal to the far corner. he conceded one like exactly this for liverpool's second by moreno in our 3-0 drubbing from the opposiste side

http://differentgame.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/hugo-lloris-is-bearings/

llorisposition.jpg

speaking of drubbings this is the first goal of six, the opportunity gifted by lloris immediately after we started the match against Emirates Marketing Project.
Look at the clock, this one took the wind out of me as a spectator too, not a good video to bring up given our match schedule but a good example of the botched clearances that sometimes plague lloris.

cropped_Navas.gif

this is a pretty good analysis of keeper characteristics... i am ambivalent about this one, as i feel that keepers like outfield players have different attributes,, but the best shot stopper lloris is not

GK_Funnel_v2.png

of course there were others like his blunder when norwich defeated us 2-1 last season in a cup tie from grant holts header. here's an analysis that shows that for some reason (defence etc) he doesn't save too many of those either.

headerssplit.jpg

read the rest here http://statsbettor.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/the-best-goalkeeper-in-the-premier-league/

well we are not alone too as loris made a few blunders for country too
[video=youtube;P5Bmnhmzuxc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Bmnhmzuxc&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

of course a lot of the performance has got to do with the context - i.e. the defenders offering protection, good understanding and defending as a unit, but I judge that there is sufficient evidence to say that he didn't have a world class first season with us.

and just to reiterate, I AM A HUGE LLORIS FAN and I think if he learns to work out these silly mistakes i.e. keep up the performances for league and cups from THIS SEASON - then he is definitely on his way to being a world class keeper.

and i have absolute faith in poch getting our defence organized (him being a defender as a player) especially with the additions of fazio and dier that can only strengthen us.

COYS

We could get stats up about any goalkeeper in the world and they would probably not be much different. Goalkeepers concede goals, that's part and parcel of the game.

You talk about the recency effect with Lloris. But it'd be the same with Gomes and memory. Sure he had a few good games, every keeper does. At the end of the day the guy the is a clown.

Why do you think we replaced him with his Friedel?

Keeper stats are pretty much close to useless to be fair

I can think of games where we played the opposition and their keeper had 8/10/12/whatever number of saves, but 90% of them were strait at him.

Gomes was always very poor at crosses, and always one step away from a calamity, luckily for us, he managed to leverage his insane shot stopping for a few game sin one season that really mattered.

Lloris for me has only one real flaw, distribution, and he's been throwing more, passing out more recently.

Re mistakes, ALL keepers make them

Lloris is more than a shot stopper.
You need to be more than a shot stopper these days.
He and Neuer are the best sweeper keepers in the world right now.

The stats above are so narrow. Its like judging a midfielder on tackles alone.

Lloris is more than a shot stopper.
You need to be more than a shot stopper these days.
He and Neuer are the best sweeper keepers in the world right now.

The stats above are so narrow. Its like judging a midfielder on tackles alone.

Exactly, there are many good shot stoppers in world football, arguably most keepers in the PL are.

He's decisive, makes his decision and does it, brave basterd too

Back