• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

No idea, I don't pick the team. Mourinho had some divine hate for him and decided to play Lopez. I imagine Lopez's superb form kept him in the side. Diego Lopez also has better distribution than Lloris, then again that's not very hard. I think Lopez is a damn good keeper by the way.

Well Ancelotti has also left Lopez as number 1 this season in the league so its not just Mourinho who thinks it.

Lloris is very good in some respects, but average to poor in others.

There were times last year when he raced out and totally wiped out the forward, very rash and a fair way off getting the ball. Yes sometimes this works in our favour, but sometimes it was just silly, going right out wide and killing the player in the box.

His kicking is pretty bad, one of the worst in the Premiership I would say. He can kick, but he has to concentrate and wind up like a girl or Kasey Keller; he doesn't have that natural swagger like Paul Robinson to just blat it upfield.

This is what concerns me about him.

[video=youtube;8Axd-Asl_H4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Axd-Asl_H4[/video]

But this is why I love him

[video=youtube;UP0z6J5P1ss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP0z6J5P1ss[/video]

Needs to practice his kicking badly (we haven't had a keeper with good distribution since Robinson), and his decision making could improve. But he's not just your cliche'd "good shot stopper". He's an exceptional shot stopper. And quick off his line too, which was really important when we played the high line, something I imagine we will do with Poch again next season. I hope we keep him and give him the success he deserves to justify his move here.

Hope the contract speculations turn out to be true.

He's said some nice things, but two years left on his contract according to transfermarkt.

Lloris is very good in some respects, but average to poor in others.

There were times last year when he raced out and totally wiped out the forward, very rash and a fair way off getting the ball. Yes sometimes this works in our favour, but sometimes it was just silly, going right out wide and killing the player in the box.

His kicking is pretty bad, one of the worst in the Premiership I would say. He can kick, but he has to concentrate and wind up like a girl or Kasey Keller; he doesn't have that natural swagger like Paul Robinson to just blat it upfield.

Lloris is occasionally over zealous in his sweeper duties but kicking is undoubtedly his Achilles heel. He ranked =14th amongst goalies in the league (who've made 18+ appearances) for distribution accuracy this season gone, according to http://www.squawka.com/football-player-rankings

Obviously the disorganisation nature of the team in front of him hasn't helped his cause but even last season Hugo' accuracy was 15% worse than that of the league' best, which ain't great when he's playing in a side that tries to dominate possession.

Hopefully Pochettino can can get Spurs as well drilled as he had Southampton so Hugo doesn't hoof the ball straight to our opponents quite so often...

2llyps4.jpg

I don't think that kick in the first 14 seconds was the main concern against City that day?

More often than not Lloris' kicking has been well above average, the problem is that as fans we always remember a moment that made us feel uncomfortable and it never leaves us. So now some people say "Lloris' weakness is his kicking" even though he kicked the last 20 balls perfectly fine!

I don't care about other keepers and stats, Lloris is a great goalkeeper so let's hope he stays! I'm looking forward to watching him reach 30 in a couple of years!!

I'm more bothered when he plays that sliced ball up in the air to out left back. It takes an age to come down and puts us under pressure.

I agree with Peter Schmeichel about Lloris being the best keeper in the league. I think he is the one proven world class player that we have

Having a quick ganders at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/ I really hope that Pochettino can get our team as well drilled at getting into good positions for Hugo to pass to them as he had Southampton...

Here's the 2 goalies' distribution when we played at St Mary's.
oivdp5.png

How LLoris fared in our 1-5 defeat at home to Emirates Marketing Project compared to Southampton' GK in the corresponding fixture which they drew 1-1.
24oy54p.png

The big difference is that there is such a big difference in the number of short passes made by the two keepers. Southampton make plenty of options at the back for the short pass whereas we don't

Agreed

Anything that usually goes past the halfway line (like most of Lloris do) are rarely going to be met accurately, too much time for a defending player to read and attack

Since when has that mattered. If both coaches thought he was the better player then they would make him first choice.

In your eyes maybe.

Ancelotti has already said Casillas would have to earn his place in the team. Lopez has done NOTHING to be dropped. You aren't going to drop a superb keeper in Lopez just because Casillas is a fan favourite, that'd be disrespectful to Lopez as a person and a footballer, you don't want that. Ancelotti showed respect to Casillas by playing him in cup games, with him in goal they won copa del Rey and Champions League.

Agreed

Anything that usually goes past the halfway line (like most of Lloris do) are rarely going to be met accurately, too much time for a defending player to read and attack

Well unless the goalie exploits a weak point in the opposition' back line, such as during our visit to the Emirates...

2d6jn2e.png

But otherwise, yeah, it is certainly no coincidence that the GKs with the best completion rates play for well organised sides who give them short pass options.

Back