• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Lloris shows who's boss at Tottenham to prove he is Premier League's best

By Jay Jaffa

Every so often football writes stories for you. And then a spoilsport ruins it. As Tottenham were paired with Lyon in the first knockout round of the Europa League, dewy eyes were cast towards Hugo Lloris, the France captain and goalkeeper, set for an emotional reunion with the club he played 195 games for until his summer move to White Hart Lane.

Spurs recognised the romance of the links too, going as far as putting Lloris on camera for the first time to discuss the proposition of facing his former employers just five months after moving to London.

Unfortunately for Tottenham, Lyon, and headline writers across Europe, Andre Villas-Boas did not follow the script, revealing on Wednesday that he would be employing Brad Friedel, Lloris' back-up, between the sticks for the match at White Hart Lane.

There was another revelation though – the huge importance and value they place on their new No.1.

"I'm a bit like a mechanic with a Ferrari," Joel Bats, the Nice-born shot-stopper's coach at Lyon explained in 2010, before confidently placing his former student in the top three goalkeepers worldwide in September last year. Given his current form, it is no surprise to see Spurs protect Lloris. They simply cannot afford to be without him.

% OF PL APPEARANCES WITHOUT CONCEDING

HUGO LLORIS (TOTTENHAM) - 46.67%
JOE HART (Emirates Marketing Project) - 42.31%
PETR CECH (CHELSEA) - 37.50%
WOJCIECH SZCZESNY (ARSENAL) - 35.29%
S. MIGNOLET (SUNDERLAND) - 34.62%
ASMIR BEGOVIC (STOKE) - 34.62%
PEPE REINA (LIVERPOOL) - 33.33%
DAVID DE GEA (MAN UTD) - 27.78%

Some will view the decision as proof that Villas-Boas does not value the Europa League, but we know that not to be true, given his personal bond with the tournament he won as Porto manager in 2011. Instead, it is evidence of how integral Lloris has become to their top four and Champions League ambitions - sadly for the purists, the club's priority this campaign.

Make no mistake, Friedel is a very able deputy and could still play regularly for a number of Premier League clubs, but he has his weaknesses and his body is slowly stiffening as he approaches 42. The advice Lloris has gleaned from the American should not be underestimated though, as he attested to: “We talk about games, we talk about teams we play against and sometimes that’s good for me because I don’t know all the players in the Premier League.”

Lloris did have a chance to observe the pace, intricacies and key figures of the English game from the Tottenham bench as he sat as back-up to Friedel in his first three months at the club, but following French media pressure, private meetings with the goalkeeper and a war of words with Didier Deschamps, Villas-Boas eventually yielded and made Lloris his number one.

"You have to know when is the right time to be patient," Lloris said when moving to Lyon in 2008. By following his own advice he has built the foundations for a prosperous career in north London.

Judging goalkeepers is a much more subjective process than that of outfield players. There are fewer statistics to accompany an argument and often what you do have at your disposal can be restrictive (see “successful punches” as an example. That tells you nothing about the second phase).

Thriving in the second phase of the 2012-13 season, the £12 million summer signing has slipped under the radar a little – perhaps owing to the embarrassing goal he conceded when closed down on his goal line by Robert Beric of Maribor. But it is remarkable that in just four months of first-team football we are discussing arguably the best goalkeeper in the league.

Asmir Begovic and Petr Cech - who is nearing a return to his form under Jose Mourinho - are notable rivals to that label, though the Chelsea No.1's injury problems have seen him feature less often than Rafa Benitez would like, while Begovic often receives fewer plaudits as a product of playing for Stoke.

But Lloris has not needed mere favouritism to climb to the upper echelons of goalkeeping. Sometimes the (useful) statistics speak for themselves. He has conceded an average of 0.87 goals per game for Tottenham in the Premier League – the lowest figure of any current No.1 in the division (Cech (1.04) and Begovic (1.19)) – and along with the Stoke shot-stopper and Julio Cesar, Simon Mignolet and Adam Federici, has yet to miss a cross*.

It gets better: Lloris has the highest percentage of games without conceding in the league (46.67%), leading Joe Hart (42.31%) as the only two members of the 40% category. Even when he does concede, he is still rescuing points - as Shola Ameobi will confirm after the Frenchman flew off his line to divert Saudi Sportswashing Machine's 90th minute chance around the post.

Of course, that particular statistic can also be attributed to the defence, but that footnote must carry the caveat that Villas-Boas likes to shuffle his defence frequently. Not only that, but his insistence on rotating the goalkeepers in cup competitions also has an unsettling effect on the cohesion between goalkeeper and defence.

Yet it is testament to the 26-year-old that he has adapted so swiftly to new surroundings and unfamiliar defenders. Dominique Baratelli, his coach at his first club Nice, said in 2008 that: "He had something special that you can't teach".

That special ingredient, that je ne sais quoi that Heurelho Gomes lacked - the presence and the exuding confidence of a man totally at ease with his surroundings marks Lloris apart from his predecessors and rivals. The black or white decision-making and command of his box, that Friedel lacks, all neatly combine to reveal a smooth, polished goalkeeper.

For £12m - not a fortune in today's game - Spurs look to have found their goalkeeper for the next decade. Meanwhile Villas-Boas' decision to rest his No.1 will no doubt leave Lyon manager Remi Garde grateful that their reunion will be in the bowels of White Hart Lane rather than on the pitch.

*All statistics taken from www.eplindex.com

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/02/14/3749179/-?

Further proof that those who thought the handling of Lloris was a 'mistake' should readjust their expertise. He was for me a vital signing, and as frustrated as I was when he didn't go straight in, you have to respect how the situation was handled. No-one frozen out, someone given some time (a 'per-season' with team mates if you will) and this eventual result...was frankly amazed someone else dint snap him up...

Hugo Lloris will become the Premier League's top goalkeeper

Posted by Dan Fitch
A regular annoyance for the football media is that the figures within the game don't always follow the script, even when it clearly makes for the best story.

So before last week's game between Tottenham and Lyon at White Hart Lane, I read a number of pieces on Hugo Lloris and how he has adapted to life in London, following his transfer from Les Gones to Spurs.

It was the obvious story to run with ahead of the match, only Andre Villas-Boas spoiled things by picking Brad Friedel to start in Tottenham's eventual 2-1 win over Lyon.

I guess that in itself proved how things have turned around for Lloris at Spurs. Earlier on in the season, Friedel was the first-choice in the Premier League, while the French international had to be content with appearances in the cups. Now the roles are reversed.

As much as I rate Friedel and think that it's important that a reserve goalkeeper is given games to keep himself fresh, I hope that AVB decides to recall Lloris for Thursday's trip to his old hunting ground.

That's not a desire borne from a want to make this copy more relevant. It's because Lloris can make a real difference to way that Spurs play.

I can't think of a goalkeeper more suited to a high-line defence than Lloris. He's so alert to danger and is athletic enough to quickly rush out of his box to do something about it.

Friedel has many qualities, but leaving his line isn't one of them. With Lloris is in goal Tottenham look more assured when defending set-pieces. The goal area is his domain and Lloris protects it with real confidence. All of it.

There was a moment in Tottenham's loss to Everton before Christmas, when Lloris came out to clear a moment of danger right on the corner edge of the box. Friedel just wouldn't have the mobility or alertness to have got there. In fact, there are very few goalkeepers who would have.

But Lloris isn't just the best goalkeeper at Spurs, he's fast becoming the best in the entire Premier League.

Who else would you rather have? David de Gea is a phenomenal shot-stopper, but has failed to adapt to the physical nature of the Premier League as quickly as Lloris (admittedly he's younger and less experienced).

Pepe Reina is no longer the assured figure that he once was for Liverpool. Wojciech Szczesny's recent form makes a mockery of the assertion that Arsenal have solved their long-standing goalkeeper problems.

No, the only keepers you can compare with Lloris in terms of quality, are Emirates Marketing Project's Joe Hart and Chelsea's Petr Cech.

Hart's form has slipped this season, but he's young, talented and confident enough to get back to his best. Meanwhile, Cech seems to be back to near his best form, after some seasons of apparent decline. Yet at 30, he faces a battle to keep his place, with the on-loan Thibaut Courtois looking likely to be Cech's successor sooner rather than later.

Clearly there's a battle ahead, but by next season, the wider public will be talking about Lloris as the Premier League's top keeper.

That can only be good news for Spurs. Great teams are built on great goalkeepers. In Lloris, Tottenham might just have found one for the next decade.

Writer makes some excellent points but surprisingly there's no mention of QPR's keeper Cesar who's produced a few blinders of late.

Sir Chesney seems to have fallen hard. I took a look at Arsenal-Mania earlier and most of them want him gone.

Sir Chesney seems to have fallen hard. I took a look at Arsenal-Mania earlier and most of them want him gone.

He was always overrated to be fair, like 90% of arsenals youth products, Ramsey, hoyte, Merida, GHod I could just go on and on and on. Never rated chesney, was very happy they never challenged us for lloris, mugs!

Good, he's an absolute ****.
Possibly the worst thing about the derby earlier this season was that when he turned around and gave it a smug one at us when they went 2-1 up, thanks to the phlanx of video cameras pointing at us from a range of 10ft, I could not loudly let him know exactly what I thought of his mugging at us.I was, instead, reduced to screaming 'polite police-friendly' heckles such as 'you're not a nice man' and 'you're a count-ry boy'...it was both demoralizing and weird. What a sterile day! Even the goon who were 12 feet away looked subdued in some stupified, drug-induced retarded fog. Their expressions were gormless and baggy, mouths hanging open catching flies before vomiting forth some brick about 'fudging Yids' (which the constabulary did nothing about)...

Hugo Lloris will become the Premier League's top goalkeeper

Posted by Dan Fitch
A regular annoyance for the football media is that the figures within the game don't always follow the script, even when it clearly makes for the best story.

So before last week's game between Tottenham and Lyon at White Hart Lane, I read a number of pieces on Hugo Lloris and how he has adapted to life in London, following his transfer from Les Gones to Spurs.

It was the obvious story to run with ahead of the match, only Andre Villas-Boas spoiled things by picking Brad Friedel to start in Tottenham's eventual 2-1 win over Lyon.

I guess that in itself proved how things have turned around for Lloris at Spurs. Earlier on in the season, Friedel was the first-choice in the Premier League, while the French international had to be content with appearances in the cups. Now the roles are reversed.

As much as I rate Friedel and think that it's important that a reserve goalkeeper is given games to keep himself fresh, I hope that AVB decides to recall Lloris for Thursday's trip to his old hunting ground.

That's not a desire borne from a want to make this copy more relevant. It's because Lloris can make a real difference to way that Spurs play.

I can't think of a goalkeeper more suited to a high-line defence than Lloris. He's so alert to danger and is athletic enough to quickly rush out of his box to do something about it.

Friedel has many qualities, but leaving his line isn't one of them. With Lloris is in goal Tottenham look more assured when defending set-pieces. The goal area is his domain and Lloris protects it with real confidence. All of it.

There was a moment in Tottenham's loss to Everton before Christmas, when Lloris came out to clear a moment of danger right on the corner edge of the box. Friedel just wouldn't have the mobility or alertness to have got there. In fact, there are very few goalkeepers who would have.

But Lloris isn't just the best goalkeeper at Spurs, he's fast becoming the best in the entire Premier League.

Who else would you rather have? David de Gea is a phenomenal shot-stopper, but has failed to adapt to the physical nature of the Premier League as quickly as Lloris (admittedly he's younger and less experienced).

Pepe Reina is no longer the assured figure that he once was for Liverpool. Wojciech Szczesny's recent form makes a mockery of the assertion that Arsenal have solved their long-standing goalkeeper problems.

No, the only keepers you can compare with Lloris in terms of quality, are Emirates Marketing Project's Joe Hart and Chelsea's Petr Cech.

Hart's form has slipped this season, but he's young, talented and confident enough to get back to his best. Meanwhile, Cech seems to be back to near his best form, after some seasons of apparent decline. Yet at 30, he faces a battle to keep his place, with the on-loan Thibaut Courtois looking likely to be Cech's successor sooner rather than later.

Clearly there's a battle ahead, but by next season, the wider public will be talking about Lloris as the Premier League's top keeper.

That can only be good news for Spurs. Great teams are built on great goalkeepers. In Lloris, Tottenham might just have found one for the next decade.

Writer makes some excellent points but surprisingly there's no mention of QPR's keeper Cesar who's produced a few blinders of late.

Pretty worrying when you compare those 2 clangers with Lloris.

I hope tonight finally offers some conclusive proof what a ridiculously poor managerial decision it was to rest our best keeper (and one of our most consistent performers) in favour of some flimflam sentiment.

If you want to win this competition, Andre - play your best 11

More than that it shows how one player leaving can weaken a team so much, if they still had lloris rather than that clown they have gone through 2-0

I hope tonight finally offers some conclusive proof what a ridiculously poor managerial decision it was to rest our best keeper (and one of our most consistent performers) in favour of some flimflam sentiment.

Huh?

Neither of the goals was down to bad goalkeeping.. 8-[

'Conclusive proof'... :ross:

conclusive proof that refs are useless and technology can't come quick enough

he's supposed to be the best in the world (I'm assuming as he did the WC final)

if we'd have gone out to that first half "free kick" I'd have been apoplectic

Are you ever going to comprehend that Lloris was getting eased into the team?

conclusive proof that refs are useless and technology can't come quick enough

he's supposed to be the best in the world (I'm assuming as he did the WC final)

if we'd have gone out to that first half "free kick" I'd have been apoplectic

Do you want loyalty from our players?

To aid your very own comperehnsion - my comment reffers to AVB's decision to drop Lloris for the EL games

If that's the only point you were making then I can get on board with that. Not sure it's just sentiment though, many coaches play weakened teams in competitions even when they get to the latter stages arguing they were the ones that got them there....

Back