• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How prevalent are counterfeit goods in the UK?

Parklaner81

Steve Hodge
Saw something earlier today that got me thinking about this.

There's an FE college adjacent to one of my places of work and today I happened to glance at a student, 17-18 years old wearing a Moncler ski jacket that, if genuine & bought at retail price, wouldn't have produced much change from a grand. And by no means is it out of the ordinary for me to see such sights.

What is going on? Are knock-offs of such things everywhere these days, or is there actually a magic money tree somewhere that everyone knows about but me...?

Last edited:
Counterfeits are commonplace, however HE and FE are socially more homogenous and less segregated than either schools and workplaces, so put grotesque inequalities of wealth into sharper perspective. Also, ski jackets being a thing again is bad enough - they were ludicrous in 1987 - but recognising them at a glance is nothing to be proud of.

It wasn't difficult to recognise, the huge logo on the arm was a dead giveaway.

Didn't mean to make the point so location-specific, by the way. I'm pretty sure I could recount similar tales from a wide variety of locations if my memory was good enough.

There's an FE college adjacent to one of my places of work and today I happened to glance at a student, 17-18 years old, wearing a Moncler ski jacket that, if genuine & bought at retail price, wouldn't have produced much change from a grand. And by no means is it out of the ordinary for me to see such sights.

What is going on? Are knock-offs of such things everywhere these days, or is there actually a magic money tree somewhere that everyone knows about but me...?

I worked with two girls in Croydon who were on lower £20,000 a year jobs and they were often going without all month to pay for designer jackets like Canada Goose. They would also be top of their list off their parents for Christmas and Birthdays. I find its not the students that by knock offs at all, too proud to do that.

There's an FE college adjacent to one of my places of work and today I happened to glance at a student, 17-18 years old, wearing a Moncler ski jacket that, if genuine & bought at retail price, wouldn't have produced much change from a grand. And by no means is it out of the ordinary for me to see such sights.

Its rife !!!

I see schoolkids with massive LV bags and Moncler jackets all the time

I've been to Shanghai a few times, and you can't tell the copies from the real thing. I'm not sure if they are copies or coming from the factory that makes the real stuff. But when the copy is that good, it makes a nonsense out of paying for the real thing. My 5 year old wears a Moncler to school! (It's not real).

a
I've been to Shanghai a few times, and you can't tell the copies from the real thing. I'm not sure if they are copies or coming from the factory that makes the real stuff. But when the copy is that good, it makes a nonsense out of paying for the real thing. My 5 year old wears a Moncler to school! (It's not real).
and you can get differing grades of fake, AAA are the best and will cost a bit more than plain old market fakes

Yeah, I'm talking AAA grade. Obviously some fakes look just that. An AAA grade Rolex will cost about £200 in Shanghai.
They're that good that my wife won't take her real handbags to some places because most people would just assume they're fake there.

Knockoff are definitely rife (and easily available on the internet).

However, living in SW London I often see kids in real Canada Goose or Moncler coats. £1k isn't much for many parents around here, especially if they are going on 2-3 ski holidays each winter.

They're that good that my wife won't take her real handbags to some places because most people would just assume they're fake there.

I always knew you were a Harvester on a Saturday night man.

My son has a £800 Canadian Goose coat brought from House of Fraser. Dont mind paying it, do mind he just slings it in the cloakroom when he walks through the front door.

Back