• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How much will we spend it January?

What will be our net spend in January?

• Less than we get from sales

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Break even

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • 0 - £5m

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • £5m - £10m

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • £10m - £15m

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • £15m +

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Parker could go to QPR. We could milk it and get back more than we paid. He is 32.

yep it has a levy deal written all over it, get back your money and some on a player who will not play much in future because of age and injury and is on high wage same as vdv.

Like someone said earlier i do not think we can get rid of jenas or bentley as no one will buy them and just look to loans so we pay half. I doubt we will ever sell bentley to be honest, i mean who would pay money for him?

well done to the mods for the transfer section it is so much better then in previous years and i can now keep out of the flimflam itk threads but still chat transfer stuff with the ret of you.

I agree about Parker, seems like a somewhat likely deal. As long as we can find a younger replacement that is. Also I think Levy can really push QPR to the limit if Parker is the player Redknapp really wants.

We have Jake Livermore already

I don't think he's good enough, nor do I think that he is a proper defensive midfielder like Sandro and Parker are. As long as we want one of those in our team I don't think he's the answer. He does work really hard, but running alone is not enough to make a good defensive midfielder.

Parker is still a very good player, if we do let him go it should be because we've found someone to bring in who are also very good, preferably with the potential to become great. Not because we have someone who is alright and can do a job. Doing so would be shooting ourselves in the foot in my opinion.

***Warning, youtube video information alert***

I've only seen Clasie on the youtube videos posted on this forum, but he seems to be highly rated and someone who can do a real job defensively, but who is also better on the ball than Parker and Sandro. Someone like that (I don't even know if he is actually like that - or good enough), who could perform alongside either Sandro or Dembele, or as part of a trio with the two of them would give us some real options and cover in midfield. With Sandro and Dembele both settled we can afford to have someone younger come in from abroad who might need some time to adjust. Another player like that might be M'Vila, although he seems to be a bit of a nutter, I'm sure there are others too. I always liked Banega at Valencia, although probably not a realistic target. I'm sure there are others too.

Livermore has shown considerable potential to become a good player and is still very young - why are you writing him off already? He had a solid season last year and a few MotM peformances.

What do you mean by 'proper' defensive midfielder btw - Parker's greatest feat last season revolced around his tenicity to break up opposition play by chasing the ball and kicking it away from their feet - a semi-clogger in other words (albeit a very good one for the first part of the season). He offered absolutely zero going forward or in terms of his passing range which appeared to be limited to 5 yarder 1-2s with the CBs. Livermore on the other hand appeared genuinely determined to drive the ball forward having won it back and displayed excellent understanding of the pass-and-move concept, always lookig for space and asking for the ball. I would go as far as saying he could be moulded into a box-to-box type of midfielder should time allow.

I rather see that money re-invested in positions of higher priority at this stage and one which would see us improve our starting XI

Last edited:
In any case - the player next to Sandro and Dembele in AVB's 4-3-3 should be someone of Moutinho's ilk in terms of creativity and output, not another DM, imv

Livermore has shown considerable potential to become a good player and is still very young - why are you writing him off already? He had a solid season last year and a few MotM peformances.

What do you mean by 'proper' defensive midfielder btw - Parker's greatest feat last season was his teanicity to break up opposition play by chasing the ball and kicking it away from their feet - a semi-clogger in other words (albeit a very good one for the first part of the season). He offered absolutely zero going forward or in terms of his passing range which appeared to be limited to 5 yarder 1-2s with the CBs. Livermore on the other hand appeared genuinely determined to drive the ball forward having won it back and displayed excellent understanding of the pass-and-move concept, always lookig for space and asking for the ball. I would go as far as saying he could be moulded into a box-to-box type of midfielder should time allow.

I rather see that money re-invested in positions of higher priority at this stage and one which would see us improve our starting XI

I think that you are overplaying Livermore's potential and underestimating Parker's contribution last season.

I think that Livermore is primarily a box to box midfielder who has filled in as a holding midfielder a few times with mixed results. I think that he is a useful squad player for us but I am not sure that he will ever be more.

Parker is a player who can come back and make a difference now. His best attribute is his positioning and reading of the game (both of which Jake lacks at this stage of his career). His leadership abilities should not be underestimated either, particularly if the run in is tight. Parker is not selected for his ability going forward or his range of passing but he is rarely wasteful in possession and consistently moves the ball on to a player with license to get forward.

It is possible that we can find a young player to sign who can come into the team and replace Parker in January but we would have to pay upwards of £15m.

If Parker was sold in January and not replaced and then Sandro broke his leg on 1st of February, leaving us with Livermore covering until the end of thread season, we would be significantly weakened.

Typical glass half-empty scenario for me - I would prefer to give credit to Livermore for the things he did right last season rather than those he might 'do wrong' in the future. Same goes for Parker - credit where some is due but one also need to factor in the limitations.

I would also like to see an academy product make the step and believe in his potential instead of writing him off at 21.

Also - my opinion on Parker's leadership qualities became conclusive last season the day when 2 of our players were having a small go at each other (think it was Bale and Defoe) and he walked away in the opposite direction, being captain at the time, etc.

We have coped fine without Parker up to now and have hardly use Livermore to cover as is - Parker leaving next month would be a loss but not a catasptrophe, imv and certainly an opportunity to re-invest elsewhere

What do you mean by 'proper' defensive midfielder btw - Parker's greatest feat last season revolced around his tenicity to break up opposition play by chasing the ball and kicking it away from their feet - a semi-clogger in other words (albeit a very good one for the first part of the season). He offered absolutely zero going forward or in terms of his passing range which appeared to be limited to 5 yarder 1-2s with the CBs. Livermore on the other hand appeared genuinely determined to drive the ball forward having won it back and displayed excellent understanding of the pass-and-move concept, always lookig for space and asking for the ball. I would go as far as saying he could be moulded into a box-to-box type of midfielder should time allow.

Livermore is 23, at what point is he no longer "very young"? He is only half a year younger than Sandro.

Livermore is not a defensive midfielder in my opinion, he is just not a ball winner in the way Sandro and Parker are. Like I said, if we want one of those in the team I don't think Livermore is a capable backup. I agree that he's more of a box-to-box type, that is part of the problem.

I'm not writing him off, I just don't think he's good enough at this point to step in and perform week in week out should Sandro pick up an injury. Nor is he good enough that I feel comfortable rotating him with Sandro when the going gets tough. In short, he's not as good as Parker is, if we sell Parker we need to bring in someone who is.

Typical glass half-empty scenario for me - I would prefer to give credit to Livermore for the things he did right last season rather than those he might 'do wrong' in the future. Same goes for Parker - credit where some is due but one also need to factor in the limitations.

I would also like to see an academy product make the step and believe in his potential instead of writing him off at 21.

Also - my opinion on Parker's leadership qualities became conclusive last season the day when 2 of our players were having a small go at each other (think it was Bale and Defoe) and he walked away in the opposite direction, being captain at the time, etc.

We have coped fine without Parker up to now and have hardly use Livermore to cover as is - Parker leaving next month would be a loss but not a catasptrophe, imv and certainly an opportunity to re-invest elsewhere

That's the way injuries work though, either you're injured or you're not. Leaving us short on cover in the future because Sandro hasn't been injured so far this season makes no sense to me.

I don't think it would be a catastrophe either, as long as we bring in someone else :)

I disagree pretty much with all of that

Would be interesting to see how many games Parker would start if he stays for the rest of the season - my guess - not more than 8-10. And that's quite a telling factor

I want to see us in the Champions League again next season and I think that we have a better chance of achieving that with Parker (rather than Hudd, Livermore or an academy player) providing cover for Sandro. I'm happy to take a £3m or £4m hit on his transfer fee to achieve this.

That's the way injuries work though, either you're injured or you're not. Leaving us short on cover in the future because Sandro hasn't been injured so far this season makes no sense to me.

We won't be short on cover as long as Livermore stays with us after January

I want to see us in the Champions League again next season and I think that we have a better chance of achieving that with Parker (rather than Hudd, Livermore or an academy player) providing cover for Sandro. I'm happy to take a £3m or £4m hit on his transfer fee to achieve this.

We have an even better chance of achieving Champions League football with Moutinho or a similar creative (even attacking) midflieder - an area in which we have lacked severely this seaosn, imv

Adding another DM would hardly solve that problem and I would imagine be very low on our priority list. Possibly equal or lower than LB.

We won't be short on cover as long as Livermore stays with us after January

As a defensive midfielder next to Dembele how much of a gap in quality is there between Sandro and Livermore in you opinion?

Do you think Parker is better in that position than Livermore, if so by much?

Parker is considerably more experienced and possibly has a slight edge in reading the game

Livemore excels in other areas I've outlined in my last 3-4 posts so won't repeat those again.

I have never seen Dembele next to Livermore long enough (if at all!) to make an objective call. However there is awlays a defference between players' individual abilities (or their ratings on some computer game, for what it's worth) and how they actuall fit into a system / how the system is adjusted by AVB to accommodate them.

He is better in some areas and not as good in others

If both were available for selection and Sandro was injured - Parker would get the nod every second game mostly due to his experience - but again, I he leaves next month, I don't see it as a major loss. A loss nonetheless but a managable one

Back