• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hipsters

Muscles, tattoos and other kinds of self mutilation are not hipster, that's a different, but probably worse, kind of douchebag. A variety of chavs with the self tan and expensive, brand name clothing.

For hipsters think thick, old fashioned glasses, moustache, tight pants, funny t-shirts or ones referencing 60s and 70s music, man bag. You'll find them in vinyl shops, coffee shops, wine bars, anywhere that sells microbrew, tiny boutiques that sells vintage clothes and assorted crap or generally just loitering (they need a lot of attention).

Wow did you really write that without thinking how stupid it sounds.

Say what?

When scarves go out of fashion, they'll just stop wearing scarves.

When beards go out of fashion, they'll have a shave.

What will they do when tattood arm sleaves go out of fashion? Try answering without sounding like a condescending prick if you can manage.

Muscles, tattoos and other kinds of self mutilation are not hipster, that's a different, but probably worse, kind of douchebag. A variety of chavs with the self tan and expensive, brand name clothing.

For hipsters think thick, old fashioned glasses, moustache, tight pants, funny t-shirts or ones referencing 60s and 70s music, man bag. You'll find them in vinyl shops, coffee shops, wine bars, anywhere that sells microbrew, tiny boutiques that sells vintage clothes and assorted crap or generally just loitering (they need a lot of attention).

****. I'm a semi-chav/hipster douchebag.

Sorry for enjoying going to the gym, eating decent food to maintain a level of fitness, and sorry for having a sense of humour and/or style that - sadly - costs a bit of money from time to time.

I think you're just an anti-hipster/chav douchebag, which I might find really annoying. Not decided yet. These people can generally be found on football forums and common traits include having to categorise people by what they look like, identifying where you might find them and generally sneering at their life choices either out of jealousy, lack of understanding or anything else of interest to talk about.

I don't think a hipster would have maori tattoos, muscles and be into neknomination, i think you've got it totally wrong there. Think more skinny everything, body, clothes and the tattoos would be more artistic, as for neknomination i doubt they'd go there.....

Does it really matter though, they want to look a certain way, so what......????? i used to be a rude boy/Mod when i was young, then it was all about being a casual/dresser, then onto baggy for acid house, then back to Mod again and finally settling onto my own style which is mainly everything being slim/well cut/well tailored. But i've always thought and felt like i looked the ********, i've always been into clothes, music and going out, isn't that whats important, feeling good about yourself, taking pride in your appearance.

I personally think the people on the link look like chavs, but i don't let it bother me, they look happy so who cares.

=D>

Sorry for enjoying going to the gym, eating decent food to maintain a level of fitness, and sorry for having a sense of humour and/or style that - sadly - costs a bit of money from time to time.

I think you're just an anti-hipster/chav douchebag, which I might find really annoying. Not decided yet. These people can generally be found on football forums and common traits include having to categorise people by what they look like, identifying where you might find them and generally sneering at their life choices either out of jealousy, lack of understanding or anything else of interest to talk about.

=D>

So half the kids wanna look like doctor who, so what? Tattoos by Ed hardy are the new tribal pattern and Big Bang theory inspires a lot of Uni people's wardrobes whilst the only way is Essex and Geordie whatsit inspires another group of people in their clothing choices. You'll always get trend setters and you'll always have so called trend setters who are merely trend followers living in an area further down the fashion chain than where they get their fashion inspiration, then you get the followers, hordes of people who just wanna wear whatever someone else is wearing, then you have the people who just wanna look good and up to date with whatever's fashionable, and lastly you have some people who just wanna wear what they feel comfortable in. The thing is that you could get a person from each of those groups ALL wearing the same outfit, all for different reasons. So much for pigeon holing based on the clothing or look someone has.

So half the kids wanna look like doctor who, so what? Tattoos by Ed hardy are the new tribal pattern and Big Bang theory inspires a lot of Uni people's wardrobes whilst the only way is Essex and Geordie whatsit inspires another group of people in their clothing choices. You'll always get trend setters and you'll always have so called trend setters who are merely trend followers living in an area further down the fashion chain than where they get their fashion inspiration, then you get the followers, hordes of people who just wanna wear whatever someone else is wearing, then you have the people who just wanna look good and up to date with whatever's fashionable, and lastly you have some people who just wanna wear what they feel comfortable in. The thing is that you could get a person from each of those groups ALL wearing the same outfit, all for different reasons. So much for pigeon holing based on the clothing or look someone has.

Yeh I've never understood this whole the way you look defines your 'person category' thing. I enjoy going to the gym, playing football and drinking with my mates, I also listen to thrash, progressive and multiple other types of metal and have played bass in metal bands, rock bands and wedding bands. Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to wear????

The thing that does annoy me though is the folks who dress to fit a certain 'person category' just because they want to be seen as part of that category because it's in 'trend'. The majority of the kids in that article (which is very good) fall into this category, they go to the gym, wear fake tan and carry bottles of f*cking grey goose in every photograph they are in only to be seen as part of the group of people who are currently in 'trend'. If the guys in Geordie/TOWIE etc started starving themselves till they were super skinny and started wearing great steaming turds on their heads then you'd see 80% of the current trend handing in their gym membership and wearing great steaming turds on their heads.

Say what?

When scarves go out of fashion, they'll just stop wearing scarves.

When beards go out of fashion, they'll have a shave.

What will they do when tattood arm sleaves go out of fashion? Try answering without sounding like a condescending prick if you can manage.

I'm sure they thought about the impact of having the tattoos past the stage of them being in fashion, i certainly did......

And how can anyone be a condescending prick to an Aussie ????? :ross:

btw what will you do when the mullet and vest look stops being cool in Australia?

Most people will have a little bit in common with several "types" without really being part of that "group".

I was talking about the particular type of douchebag that was portrayed in the article posted on the previous page and how they have nothing to do with hipsters. The kind that has orange skin color, a disproportionate body with huge arms and pecs, who uses a tube of hairgel a day and does weird, gangster inspired poses. Hipsters may have tattoos, but they don't really do tribals or tramp stamps.

Hipsters are the people that are so desperate to be different from everyone else, but all end up looking like each other. Clunky, oversized specs that they don't really need. Partially successful attempts at a moustache. Only listen to vinyl and preferably bands that nobody else has heard of. Anyone that sells more than a thousand copies are too mainstream. All they're achieving is to turn what's considered alternative into mainstream.

I resent trousers. Its one thing the Scots have right.

I'd be happy if doublet and hose remained the order of the day.

Unnatural.

Trousers and fecking socks.

Yeh I've never understood this whole the way you look defines your 'person category' thing. I enjoy going to the gym, playing football and drinking with my mates, I also listen to thrash, progressive and multiple other types of metal and have played bass in metal bands, rock bands and wedding bands. Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to wear????

The thing that does annoy me though is the folks who dress to fit a certain 'person category' just because they want to be seen as part of that category because it's in 'trend'. The majority of the kids in that article (which is very good) fall into this category, they go to the gym, wear fake tan and carry bottles of f*cking grey goose in every photograph they are in only to be seen as part of the group of people who are currently in 'trend'. If the guys in Geordie/TOWIE etc started starving themselves till they were super skinny and started wearing great steaming turds on their heads then you'd see 80% of the current trend handing in their gym membership and wearing great steaming turds on their heads.

I get told I look like a rocker (I have longer than average hair) but I'm a dj who plays DnB, old skool, and uk garage (amongst other things, and I have played rock and metal sets but i just wanted to prove I could!). Funny old world ain't it mate! If something becomes fashionable and it appeals to me I'll give it a try if I also think it'll suit me simple.

I get told I look like a rocker (I have longer than average hair) but I'm a dj who plays DnB, old skool, and uk garage (amongst other things, and I have played rock and metal sets but i just wanted to prove I could!). Funny old world ain't it mate! If something becomes fashionable and it appeals to me I'll give it a try if I also think it'll suit me simple.

Funny, whenever I tell anyone I listen to or play in a metal band they generally look at me and respond with 'You don't look like your in a metal band/someone who would listen to metal'.

Same here, if I like it and it suits me/doesn't make me look a complete bell-end I'll wear it.

A great argument against tatts made by my mate was that they are a date stamp. All these men and women are going to be having a lot of trouble lying about their ages, as they age when people see their ink.

A great argument against tatts made by my mate was that they are a date stamp. All these men and women are going to be having a lot of trouble lying about their ages, as they age when people see their ink.

I've got loads of tatts, never going to be an issue for me personally. I don't have any colour in mine, just black. They're currently standing the test of time, although i do have wonderfully healthy and thick Indian skin.

BnYK8unCAAAfsch.jpg

It's so hipstery to call other people hipsters. It's totally hipster to be a fan of Christopher Hitchens, diss religious people, be critical of self-help books and be all smug because you're secretly proud you're not part of a group of people you consider dumb and call hipsters. And it's super hipster to call out those guys too. And so it goes in this circle, and so everyone's a hipster, really, and the term just implodes on itself.

It's so hipstery to call other people hipsters. It's totally hipster to be a fan of Christopher Hitchens, diss religious people, be critical of self-help books and be all smug because you're secretly proud you're not part of a group of people you consider dumb and call hipsters. And it's super hipster to call out those guys too. And so it goes in this circle, and so everyone's a hipster, really, and the term just implodes on itself.

Hipster

Is Hipster the first term by which kids have identified themselves that was immediately an insult as soon as it was a definition?

Thinking back to all the themes of clothes/hair/music/etc there always seemed to be a grace period of a few years where it wasn't an one. Hipster seems to have immediately been an insult.

Back