• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Heurelho Gomes

I always liked Gomes as both a person and a player.

I actually wished he done this years ago for the sake of his career.

Good luck Heurelho.

He wanted to, but Levy put a stupid asking price on his head. I can only assume its happened now as he hasn't got long to go with his contract?

He wanted to, but Levy put a stupid asking price on his head. I can only assume its happened now as he hasn't got long to go with his contract?

I also remember reading in the rags that his salary was an issue when it came to any possible moves as the clubs interested weren't prepared to match his wages. He should have left on loan or permanent on a few occasions if stories are to be believed, so I wouldn't be so quick to blame Levy only.

Last edited:
I always stuck up for him during his bad patch, some have very short memories and he won us so many points if it wasn't for him I doubt we would have seen CL football that year. Good luck to the guy, surely noone can have a bad word to say about him....

Spot on.

The 2-1 win against the scum (Rose wondergoal game) alone he made 3 fantastic top notch saves. There should be gifs of those somewhere, but I couldn't find any...

He's out of contract in June, so it'll either be a pre-contact or a nominal fee now.

It was the same with Jenas and Bentley - we hold on to these players too long and don't cut our loses.

He's out of contract in June, so it'll either be a pre-contact or a nominal fee now.

It was the same with Jenas and Bentley - we hold on to these players too long and don't cut our loses.

Most likely a pre-contract, isn't the transfer window closed in Holland too? Wouldn't make sense to pay even a nominal fee for a player they can't use until next season anyway.

But then there's players like Gio and Palacios that we ended up getting very good money for after holding on to them for a bit. You win some you lose some.

Wish him all the best.

He made some excellent saves, those v Arsnal that I will always remember. He did some great goal celebrations. Such a shame he appeared to fall apart in those last few appearances. I backed him during the first few gaffes, but in the end, for me, he made a few too many and maybe it was harsh, but he had to be replaced

Don't forget that the player himself has to agree to the move.

If they're on a decent wage at Spurs, it's quite understandable that they wouldn't want to move elsewhere and take a drastic pay cut.

I always liked Gomes as both a person and a player.

I actually wished he done this years ago for the sake of his career.

Good luck Heurelho.

This echoes my thinking.

At 32 he is young enough to have some good years as a goalkeeper, but I wonder he can recover his best form after several years of not playing. The goalkeeper job is so mental (sic) that it will be hard to regain the intensity and confidence needed to play well after years of just training.

I remember being at Stamford Bridge and he made a string of 5-6 awesome saves including a worldie from a Lampard chip IIRC

Good luck Octopus, top lad, when we finished 4th he was world class that season, hope he gets his career back on track.

I remember being at Stamford Bridge and he made a string of 5-6 awesome saves including a worldie from a Lampard chip IIRC

Good luck Octopus, top lad, when we finished 4th he was world class that season, hope he gets his career back on track.

Yep, that one... The save v Liverpool when the shot deflected off King's arm in Harry's first game was it? The two or three late on against gooners and I seem to remember two vital saves late on v Chelsea, a terry header?

Loved him, typical Tottenham in many ways.

O Goleiro Grande.

Oh, and the deflected free kick at Pompey, and the free kick saves form Giggs at our place and Ronaldo at theirs.

As has been said, he made more impossible saves than anyone. Such a shame that sometimes the basics and mental strength eluded him.

Best of luck to him. Hopefully he'll come back in a CL game vs PSV at the Lane one day.

Gomes makes for an interesting subject about how fans view different positions.

I'd say that Gomes and Ade are fairly similar in quality - on their day they're up with the best in the world, when their heads aren't in it, they may as well not be on the pitch. Neither of them have the mental strength to be top players - hence them ending up at Spurs.

For some reason, when Gomes was struggling mentally he was too weak and should be dropped/sold in the opinion of most on this forum. When Ade isn't coping with the pressure of turning up and kicking a football, it's the manager's fault for not cuddling him enough.

Strange.

Sent from my HTC One using Fapatalk

Quality keeper but so fragile mentally. Had a rough start but in the second half of 08-09 he was fantastic, I think we kept 8 clean sheets in our last 8 home league games from January until Bojinov scored for City on the last day of the season when we won 2-1?

09-10 he was even better, especially during the run in. Those saves from Van Persie at 2-1 in the NLD, saves from Lampard and Malouda in the Chelsea win 3 days later. I also remember him having a really good game away to Fulham on Boxing day that season which was remarkable given his absolute howler there the season before and in the 0-0 at Craven Cottage in the FA Cup. His 2 penalty saves at Sunderland plus the save at home to Sunderland are I think the only 3 misses of a penalty from Darren Bent in his career.

I think his 10-11 season could be summed up in that mad last minutes against Chelsea when he needlessly brought Ramires down beofre saving the penalty to earn us a point. Same thing virtually happened again against Blackpool towards the end of the season. By that time his decision making had just gone to pot and left his confidence in tatters. The Real Madrid goal was one of those things, tie was done anyway but certainly was the final nail in the coffin.

Sad to see his career having fallen away but hope he can actually rediscover that blinding form with PSV and get another 6-7 years out of his career. One of the best keepers we have had in the last 20 years and someone I will always have a soft spot for.

Gomes makes for an interesting subject about how fans view different positions.

I'd say that Gomes and Ade are fairly similar in quality - on their day they're up with the best in the world, when their heads aren't in it, they may as well not be on the pitch. Neither of them have the mental strength to be top players - hence them ending up at Spurs.

For some reason, when Gomes was struggling mentally he was too weak and should be dropped/sold in the opinion of most on this forum. When Ade isn't coping with the pressure of turning up and kicking a football, it's the manager's fault for not cuddling him enough.

Strange.

Sent from my HTC One using Fapatalk

Solid point.

I obviously have no idea what went on behind the scenes. For me what should have been done with Gomes at the time he was dropped was that we should have tried to find the best suited sports psychologist to work with him, in addition to intensive work on his weaker areas (dealing with crosses, distribution with his feet etc) with the goalkeeping coaches along with making him a regular starter in EL and CC games. Try to build him back up, not just drop him and leave it at that.

Could be that top notch work was put in from the coaching side, but it just didn't take. So this isn't a criticism of what did happen, more an observation.

redknapp brought in a new keeper coach didn't he

good point Scara, I think with keepers though you can't carry them, you can have an offensive player make mistakes and get away with it, a keeper ****s up and it's a goal

redknapp brought in a new keeper coach didn't he

good point Scara, I think with keepers though you can't carry them, you can have an offensive player make mistakes and get away with it, a keeper ****s up and it's a goal

Although a striker missing a clear chance is almost certainly reducing the score by one, so the result (purely based on goal difference in a single match) is the same.

That's where the fan/staff/press mentality comes in I think - it's seen as worse to give away a goal than to not score one, when empirically they're the same thing.

Solid point.

I obviously have no idea what went on behind the scenes. For me what should have been done with Gomes at the time he was dropped was that we should have tried to find the best suited sports psychologist to work with him, in addition to intensive work on his weaker areas (dealing with crosses, distribution with his feet etc) with the goalkeeping coaches along with making him a regular starter in EL and CC games. Try to build him back up, not just drop him and leave it at that.

Could be that top notch work was put in from the coaching side, but it just didn't take. So this isn't a criticism of what did happen, more an observation.

That's possible - or even likely. What doesn't seem right though is that he didn't seem to have this issue for PSV (based entirely on reports as I didn't see him for them much).

Does anyone know if that's really the case?

Back