• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hertfordshire?

What's bad about the Haldens? Is that an area of WGC? What's wrong with mayflower pub?
Haldens isn't that bad actually, it's the pub (if it's still open). Full of wrong un's when I lived that way. This was 11 years ago mind, last time I drove past it was still open and I imagine the patrons haven't changed. As a side note, David James (yet that one) grew up round there and as far as I know his parents are still in that area, as is his brother.

No it didn't. Wheelchair is a Hitchin boy not Stevenage. His family still live there (I know some of his cousins).

Back on topic. WGC is a nice place, avoid The Haldens (Mayflower pub if it's still open). Panshanger would be your best bet IMO.

Yeah, a friend of mine lives in Hitchin (which he really likes) and his mother used to teach Jack Wilhere. He said she always said he was a arrogant little prick who always thought he was better than everyone else because he could play footie.

I also have a freind who lives in Baldock. She told me it's nice but to small for her liking.

Have a look at Bishop' Stortford and environs. very nice. Buntingford seems nice and I expect a bit cheaper.

I have been looking to buy in the Welwyn Garden City area. Its so bloody hard! every time a good property comes up, loads of people jump on it and the price goes up.

I have seen a nice house that just needs cosmetic work done. In May & November 2013 two houses sold for £215k on the same road a identical house is selling for £250k! i want the house but how can the prices have jumped up that quick? The demand is high and there aren't enough properties.

I will prob put in a lower offer but why would people pay so over the odds? aren't they scared that the house will have no equity in it moving forward?

I have been looking to buy in the Welwyn Garden City area. Its so bloody hard! every time a good property comes up, loads of people jump on it and the price goes up.

I have seen a nice house that just needs cosmetic work done. In May & November 2013 two houses sold for £215k on the same road a identical house is selling for £250k! i want the house but how can the prices have jumped up that quick? The demand is high and there aren't enough properties.

I will prob put in a lower offer but why would people pay so over the odds? aren't they scared that the house will have no equity in it moving forward?

The equity going forward is a potential issue but I would say it is a worthwhile gamble. Prices in London are going higher and higher and more people will look to move out into areas of the surrounding counties to get more for their money, be within commuting distance of London, have a quieter home life for work/life balance etc.

Prices in Herts have gone up by about 7 or 8% I believe on average over the past year which is nowhere near as much as London so it makes it affordable yet with potential growth equity wise still possible. Obviously length of time you are planning to stay at that property also helps with potential equity but I would say somewhere like WGC will see house prices rise in a healthy fashion over the next decade and you would more than likely make decent money on a property out there.

You also have to look at transport links. Crossrail 2 is being floated and planned with a potential to go across London from Wimbledon and Chelsea upto Hertford East via Tottenham Court Road, Angel and Hackney Central. That Line wouldn't be completed in any event until at least the 2030s but if planning is approved and concept is driven then it will have a massive affect on houses prices in North East Herts over the coming decade. WGC is a little bit away from that but the benefits for the wider area would have a knock on effect due to the greater transport choice in the local region.

Thanks Libero.. some good information to think about.

3 people have put an offer in for the asking price. All in the same position as me. (no chain) can move straight away. So i have matched the offer. Dont want to go above 250k because of stamp duty

How do they decide who they will go with?

Last edited:
Thanks Libero.. some good information to think about.

3 people have put an offer in for the asking price. All in the same position as me. (no chain) can move straight away. So i have matched the offer. Dont want to go above 250k because of stamp duty

How do they decide who they will go with?

In terms of them deciding whose offer to accept, it's pot luck really. In the scenario you describe it can come down to simply just who they liked the look of the most..... If they met all the potential buyers that is.

They haven't met any buyers. It's all through the agent.

I asked the agent if I can talk to the seller. She said they don't want to talk to any buyers but I could write them an email and the agent will pass it on. So wrote them a nice message about wanting the house. Never know it could give me a slight edge.

They haven't met any buyers. It's all through the agent.

I asked the agent if I can talk to the seller. She said they don't want to talk to any buyers but I could write them an email and the agent will pass it on. So wrote them a nice message about wanting the house. Never know it could give me a slight edge.

The estate agents are waffling. They don't have the reputation they have for no reason. The reason they don't want you to speak directly with the sellers is that you might possibly upset the control they have over the situation in terms of levering the price up.

Estate agents will make out they are acting mutually for the buyer and the seller but in reality their interests are purely their own with partly the seller's interests combining with their own, never the buyer. They are being payed by the seller so of course, you managing to speak directly with the seller could mean you agree on a price that cuts down their fee which is why estate agents always have a clause that means should you take your place off their books and sell privately within a specified period of time then you are still liable for the 1%/1.5% that they ask for upon completion of the sale.

I would be more or less willing to guarantee you that if you approached the sellers direct that they would tell you that the agent had said all the prospective buyers don't want to deal with the seller at all and just want the deal done and pushed through. It is worth doing tbh, you can just say that you wanted a more personal feel for the people you are possibly entering into a deal with and think up some questions that you can say the estate agent couldn't answer so you felt compelled to contact them directly.

If you don't manage to get this place then keep your spirits up. Expand your area slightly and see if anything takes your fancy in a slightly larger radius.

Thanks again. I'm in sales so I know EA bull****.

I will know 12noon tomorrow about my offer. If this isn't to be I will move onto the next one.

Thanks again. I'm in sales so I know EA bull****.

I will know 12noon tomorrow about my offer. If this isn't to be I will move onto the next one.

No worries fella. Are you absolutely set on WGC and that vicinity as a place to live or are you open about other areas of Herts? I think you said you are in essex currently, Have you checked out Sawbridgeworth? Only just over the border from Essex into Herts and a lovely town tbh

Mrs works in Hatfield so somewhere near there is best. WGC. Hertford and borehamwood are the choices.

I live in Borehamwood as it's close to where I was brought up and not that expensive. But it's a bit ****ty in parts.
My mum moved to Hertford and it's lovely certainly the nicest out of the places named in your post.

I live in Borehamwood as it's close to where I was brought up and not that expensive. But it's a bit ****ty in parts.
My mum moved to Hertford and it's lovely certainly the nicest out of the places named in your post.

Agreed. I think if the OP and his missus have commitments in Hatfield then Hertford, or indeed Ware are very good options. Ware wouldn't be a bad choice, slightly more for your money by comparison to Hertford.

i cant decide 100% on a property i have had an offer accepted on. I was a bit hasty with my offer. In WGC properties go on the market and you get people offering well over the asking price if not the asking price. Its a sellers market round there. i offered the asking price and told them to take it off the market. We really didnt want anyone else to have it. I have since phoned back to try and change my offer which the Estate agent wasnt happy with. He did ask and then they said they will give some furniture.

Pros
-we both love the property (well decorated) they are leaving some nice furniture for us inc blinds (maybe £1000 worth) fitted wardrobes already there
-we wouldn't have to spend a penny on it.
-we have a garage which we can change into a bedroom, cinema room if we wanted to
-its a good size
-its a 1 year old property on a private road development

Cons
- its not near the station (i dont use the train every day anyway but you never know in the future)
- i dont have a garden
-The kitchen is open plan with the lounge so the smell of food travels in the lounge
- its a coach house (counts as a house but somewhere in between a house and flat)
- there are 4 garages underneath my property (1 being mine)
- 240k might be steep as it isnt a house technically
- £260 ground rent a year for the upkeep of the road, gardens outside
- i own the freehold for all 4 garages. 3 people own the leasehold and they pay me a small fee (Maybe hassle)
- no fibre optic broadband 3mb connection ( i game a lot and like to stream. I also work at home)

Sometimes i feel i want it sometimes i question my decision.

Any advise?

Last edited:
Bear in mind the Mortgage Market review coming in April (some lenders are bringing this in sooner) so if things aren't tied up mortgage wise then you might have to re apply with stricter affordability measures and they could reduce the lend! Goodnight.

You should have a look at Ware or for better train links to Hatfield for your missus, have a little look at Knebworth.

Knebworth is lovely , but not sure it'd be in his price range?

London colney or colney heath might be worth a look.

The equity going forward is a potential issue but I would say it is a worthwhile gamble. Prices in London are going higher and higher and more people will look to move out into areas of the surrounding counties to get more for their money, be within commuting distance of London, have a quieter home life for work/life balance etc.

Prices in Herts have gone up by about 7 or 8% I believe on average over the past year which is nowhere near as much as London so it makes it affordable yet with potential growth equity wise still possible. Obviously length of time you are planning to stay at that property also helps with potential equity but I would say somewhere like WGC will see house prices rise in a healthy fashion over the next decade and you would more than likely make decent money on a property out there.

You also have to look at transport links. Crossrail 2 is being floated and planned with a potential to go across London from Wimbledon and Chelsea upto Hertford East via Tottenham Court Road, Angel and Hackney Central. That Line wouldn't be completed in any event until at least the 2030s but if planning is approved and concept is driven then it will have a massive affect on houses prices in North East Herts over the coming decade. WGC is a little bit away from that but the benefits for the wider area would have a knock on effect due to the greater transport choice in the local region.

Talking of equity, our neighbours have their place under offer at offers in excess of £375k.

They bought the place 5 years ago for well under £200k, have extended a little out the back and added a master suite in a loft conversion, and added a double driveway, oh and kind of done up the back garden.

Don't know what that would have cost them, but jeez, it's a (nice enough) semi, in Stevenage (old town) for £375k+!

It's crazy money!

Don't know whether they're breaking the price ceiling on the road but it must be close.

Back