• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

In the past week Winks has proved while Henderson cannot captain England, he is simply not good enough to guarantee a place in the line up. I may be biased but I already think Winks is the better player

In the past week Winks has proved while Henderson cannot captain England, he is simply not good enough to guarantee a place in the line up. I may be biased but I already think Winks is the better player
Winks has two games as the deepest midfielder, Henderson has two seasons of it.

Henderson is 27, Winks is 21.

Henderson had more than 5 times as much PL football for Sunderland before signing for Liverpool than Winks has for us in total. Winks still only has 6 PL starts under his belt.

And still I wouldn't have swapped Winks for Henderson yesterday. Not (only) because of future potential and all that. Just based on current ability in that role Henderson isn't currently a better player.

I don't think swapping them would have swung the game. I don't think Winks was dominant against Liverpool. But he's doing really well and adapting so quickly.

Would be happy making him a £30m signing if he wasn't already a Spurs player.

It's his tempremant that stands out. He truly believes in himself.

He'll get physically stronger every year, and when he starts playing forward more (which he is starting to do), he'll be an effective modric/iniesta type player. He might not reach the heights of those two but anywhere close and we'll have a player that every team needs.

(Skipp will be next in line, fingers crossed)

Steady , En

Steady - England have not had a truly great midfielder since Gazza .

You get the feeling if Winks was to score a goal or especially a good goal - some would call him the new Messi. He is already the new Modric or Iniesta take your pick.

He is still a long way behind Silva for City or does not even make the Spanish team to put things in perspective. . Ultimately it does him no favours to be ridiculously hyped up like this. The media is so desperate for a glimmer of hope from England - they jump on the slightest thing. Two years ago our very own Townsend was the next best thing.

So, do you still think we are overarting Winks? If so, can i ask you what part of his game/skillset are we overating him?

Steady , En

Steady - England have not had a truly great midfielder since Gazza .

You get the feeling if Winks was to score a goal or especially a good goal - some would call him the new Messi. He is already the new Modric or Iniesta take your pick.

He is still a long way behind Silva for City or does not even make the Spanish team to put things in perspective. . Ultimately it does him no favours to be ridiculously hyped up like this. The media is so desperate for a glimmer of hope from England - they jump on the slightest thing. Two years ago our very own Townsend was the next best thing.
Hello Rita. A good win for your boys yesterday at Goodison. Do you think you'll make UEFA Cup this year via league position?

Silva is a fantastic player. He doesn't play for Spain because they have so many fantastic players in that position. Unfortunately England do not, hence Winks already being a full international.

I don't feel that Winks is being ridiculously hyped at all. He is getting some hype because he is a good player, already holding his own against very good teams despite being young and also inexperienced. I think the excitement around Winks is due to him being a such a well rounded player - tenacious in the tackle, two good feet, good movement, vision, passes well, excellent control, can dribble and has a positional sense that belies his age and inexperience. When you have a player armed with those attributes working under the best coach in the Premier League, I think it is worth getting excited.

Last edited:
That was down to " rent a quote" not thinking he was strong enough for CM, fool that he was.
Are you referring to Redknapp here? If so then I think Redknapp's handling of Modric was perfect. The Premier League is fast and physical, especially so in the centre. Play a player in a wider position and they get a bit more time. Redknapp moved Modric to a wider position, which allowed him to get used to the pace, to get on the ball and affect the game. Once Modric had adapted he was then moved to a central area. Had Modric not been moved to a wider position, it is possible that he wouldn't have succeeded at Spurs. It isn't that hard for a player to lose their confidence, or for a team to lose their confidence in a player.

The bar is very low for him atm. Did not think he had particularly good game. Liverpool dominated the midfield a bit. Henderson played a great pass for their goal .. if that had been Winks the pundits would have gone into meltdown. Ali had a good game - but gets largely ignored .
Glad you managed to watch our game after your lunchtime kick off. Interesting that you feel that Liverpool dominated the midfield. What I saw from my seat at Wembley was Spurs dropping off and allowing Liverpool to have the ball right up to the last third of the pitch and then when winning the ball deep in our half, looking to pass it through Liverpool's initial pressing, opening up great opportunities to counter attack. I thought Spurs executed that game plan perfectly, with us quite a few other decent chances to score. Conversely Liverpool created just the single proper one v one chance - where for just about the only time in the game they turned over possession of the ball in our half and played an early ball before we could get defensively set (it was a very good pass from Henderson to be fair and Salah made it look even better by outpacing both Sanches and Aurier).

It looked to me as though Poch deliberately had Spurs allowing Liverpool possession of the football, with us deeper than usual and not competing for the ball until they were well in our half. This meant that when we did turn over the ball, Liverpool were over committed forward and there was huge space in behind them for us to exploit. Players like Winks, Eriksen and Ali then played triangles around their 'gegen press' and we were in business.

It looked to me as though Poch deliberately had Spurs allowing Liverpool possession of the football, with us deeper than usual and not competing for the ball until they were well in our half. This meant that when we did turn over the ball, Liverpool were over committed forward and there was huge space in behind them for us to exploit. Players like Winks, Eriksen and Ali then played triangles around their 'gegen press' and we were in business.

The early goal(s) definitely had a huge influence on how the game panned out. Not sure our tactic would have been the same had it still been 0-0 after 20 minutes.

Final sentence is key and a huge difference from previous games where Liverpool have pressed us into oblivion for extended periods. Players like Dembele, Dier and Wanyama have failed at the task of playing through that pressure. Long balls have become aimless and we've looked useless.

Winks is showing that he can be an answer in these game conditions. Or, in these game conditions as well. Doing so both against Real and Liverpool puts down a real marker for his capacity to influence games.

The early goal(s) definitely had a huge influence on how the game panned out. Not sure our tactic would have been the same had it still been 0-0 after 20 minutes.

Final sentence is key and a huge difference from previous games where Liverpool have pressed us into oblivion for extended periods. Players like Dembele, Dier and Wanyama have failed at the task of playing through that pressure. Long balls have become aimless and we've looked useless.

Winks is showing that he can be an answer in these game conditions. Or, in these game conditions as well. Doing so both against Real and Liverpool puts down a real marker for his capacity to influence games.
I think we would've played exactly the same way even if we hadn't scored early. I say this because that is the way for any team to beat Liverpool. If you try to press Liverpool in the same way that they press then you have to play higher up the pitch and you then leave gaps for their pacy attacking players to exploit. They are also easy to counter attack when you sit deep against them as they massively over commit to their attacks when they don't have the opportunity to go over the top or between the centre halves and the full backs with an early ball.

The poster is making out like Spurs fans are comparing him to Silva at Emirates Marketing Project FFS; who here is doing that?
Rita is.... because that way he can be calmer in his own mind that Spurs don't have another brilliant young player on their hands. With his own team in such a long, linear decline he needs anything that he can cling to.

I have no idea whether the poster had said that in previous posts. Look at the post glorygloreze replied to and tell me what is wrong about what he said....
If he scored a goal he would be called the next Messi.

Not doing him any favours to be ridiculously hyped.

Back