• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

No, he only got 4 caps and none were in tournaments IIRC. David James succeeded Seaman really as first choice. But Walker was in the squad for good chunks of the period c.1996-2004.

No mate. I saw him at Wembley in a qualifier in 97 when we lost 1-0 to Italy. He got beaten fairly long-distance by Zola.

No mate. I saw him at Wembley in a qualifier in 97 when we lost 1-0 to Italy. He got beaten fairly long-distance by Zola.
Long time ago mate but if you freeze this video @ 0.39, you'll see Walker was literally only 5 or 6 yards yards from Zola's boot when the Italian let fly. The shot might even have caught a deflection from the defender's (Campbell's?) tackle, cannot be sure from the clip.

We all know how badly he was savaged afterwards by the media for missing it but imho those near-post shots from close range are far more difficult than they look. Walker was inevitably targeted by the tabloids who simply needed an escaped goat following the 0-1 defeat.

Last edited:

I remember that, the return match in Italy was the best match I ever saw Gazza play and I was surprised and disgusted when Hoddle did not take him to France 98.

To think that Ian Walker was once an England international. No wonder England never wins a tournament. :p

Des Walker loves us so much that he scored the own goal that gifted us our last FA cup win

Beautiful bullet header too:)

Remembering being desperate for us to sign Des Walker when we were once linked with him. Solid CB. Just loved defending

Back to Winks, he still needs a few games to get back up to pace, not great so far in preseason.

Yep, he will have some indifferent games for us this season which is to be expected from someone learning perfecting his craft. He kind of reminds me of Lallana in a way.

Yep, he will have some indifferent games for us this season which is to be expected from someone learning perfecting his craft. He kind of reminds me of Lallana in a way.

I would say he usually (last season) was pretty consistent, preseason I noticed a couple of points where he just seemed off the pace, chasing the game vs. being part of it. No issue, expected from a young player coming back from a lengthy lay off.

Not sure about the Lallana comparison (haven't watched enough of him)

Long time ago mate but if you freeze this video @ 0.39, you'll see Walker was literally only 5 or 6 yards yards from Zola's boot when the Italian let fly. The shot might even have caught a deflection from the defender's (Campbell's?) tackle, cannot be sure from the clip.

We all know how badly he was savaged afterwards by the media for missing it but imho those near-post shots from close range are far more difficult than they look. Walker was inevitably targeted by the tabloids who simply needed an escaped goat following the 0-1 defeat.

Getting beaten by Zola from 6 yards (ball sat up nicely too) is hardly a disgrace.

Thought he was excellent when he came on today

He did well. Gave us energy, some solidity down the right and some considered ball circulation that we badly needed. Personally, I'm unsure why he isn't starting, to be honest - he would offer us a more balanced midfield alongside Dier than Sissoko currently does, given his tendency of playing as our option off the shoulder of the last defender instead of as a more traditional central midfielder.

He did well. Gave us energy, some solidity down the right and some considered ball circulation that we badly needed. Personally, I'm unsure why he isn't starting, to be honest - he would offer us a more balanced midfield alongside Dier than Sissoko currently does, given his tendency of playing as our option off the shoulder of the last defender instead of as a more traditional central midfielder.

Him with a Dier IMO would be a sensible experiment

Thought he was excellent when he came on today
Agree fully. Looks on his way to match fitness.
I think he's still been recovering from his injury along with missing out on pre season. I think it's a good sign that Pochettino used him yesterday when we were under pressure. He started using him in similar circumstances last season when he started getting game time. And like last season he delivered. I think it's likely that he'll get more game time going forward.

I didn't see anything worth commenting on personally. There was that one pass he made that almost set Alli away, but other than that he was just chasing West Ham players up and down our right flank. I'm not having a pop, just didn't see anything that made me think he was comment worthy.

Before he became a semi regular I seem to remember him coming on in games when there was only a goal in it - Poch trusts him as he is very composed on the ball. Would now like to see him start some home games where we expect to dominate possession.

Back