• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Indeed. Would Winksy playing for Spain be a good or bad thing? It'd be great for his personal development, and therefore (hopefully) his effectiveness in the heart of the Spurs midfield. It'd be England's loss but, having seen how the likes of Hoddle, Scholes and even Carrick were utterly misused by England, is that such a bad thing?

Would he still count as a homegrown player?

Homegrown only refers to x amount of years spent at a club/in a country as a youth player.

Indeed. Would Winksy playing for Spain be a good or bad thing? It'd be great for his personal development, and therefore (hopefully) his effectiveness in the heart of the Spurs midfield. It'd be England's loss but, having seen how the likes of Hoddle, Scholes and even Carrick were utterly misused by England, is that such a bad thing?

Would he still count as a homegrown player?

Well, from a Spurs perspective, I don't trust the England setup with our players one bit. They tend to come back with inflated egos (having had their heads turned by the lads from bigger clubs while away on international duty), injured, or with their reputations tarnished on the back of a typically woeful Euro or WC campaign. Plus, as you say, they don't have a great record of managing skillful central midfielders or favouring team cohesion over star players being stuffed into any formation that allows them all to be on the field at once.

In that regard, Spain *might* be the better option - it's hard to imagine Sergio Ramos or the Barca phalanx sidling up to Winksy and tapping him up in *quite* same manner, and his technical skills and tactical nous would be improved much more by playing alongside Spanish players and under Spanish coaches. It's not a perfect option, mind, because he might have issues fitting into the Spanish setup and the Spanish press might give him a lot of stick if it ever got that far..but it would possibly be better than wasting his international career being benched while Rooney plays in central midfield at the age of 45.

However, that's just looking at it from a Spurs perspective. Ultimately, if he feels English, he should play for England, or wait for England to call him up - none of this 'Irish/Spanish/Cameroonian on my grandfather's side' stuff if he genuinely feels a part of the country he was born and brought up in. I respect that people can have differing feelings as to their identity in this postmodern world, and that football might be a career option to players that entails searching for national teams to gain caps with as easily as they search for clubs to play for - but it just doesn't sit right with me all the same, and I think that, if I take the Spurs glasses off for a second, he should probably go with England even if he doesn't get as great an international career out of it.

Edit: although, to be fair to him and people struggling with the choice to play for England or A.N.Other, it's complicated by the fact that the UK allows its constituent units to have separate football teams, I guess - it might be more cut and dried if it were a choice between just a GB football team and another country's NT. He might well feel more British than English. :p

Last edited:
In that regard, Spain *might* be the better option - it's hard to imagine Sergio Ramos or the Barca phalanx sidling up to Winksy and tapping him up in *quite* same manner, and his technical skills and tactical nous would be improved much more by playing alongside Spanish players and under Spanish coaches. It's not a perfect option, mind, because he might have issues fitting into the Spanish setup and the Spanish press might give him a lot of stick if it ever got that far..but it would possibly be better than wasting his international career being benched while Rooney plays in central midfield at the age of 45.
That'd be pretty bloody annoying!

Good point about the tapping up. If Real or Barca are tapping you up, it's because you're good enough that most of the footballing world knows about you. Thomas Gravesen aside, of course. If Winks gets to that level, like Bale, either Spurs are in a position to fulfill his dreams or he moves to Madrid/Barca/Bayern entirely justifiably. I fully expect Kane and Alli to be making that choice over the next two seasons as well. Thankfully Alli seems to be level-headed and football-driven while Kane (and Winks) are playing for their boyhood clubs. That'll buy us a season, hopefully.

However, that's just looking at it from a Spurs perspective. Ultimately, if he feels English, he should play for England, or wait for England to call him up - none of this 'Irish/Spanish/Cameroonian on my grandfather's side' stuff if he genuinely feels a part of the country he was born and brought up in. I respect that people can have differing feelings as to their identity in this postmodern world, and that football might be a career option to players that entails searching for national teams to gain caps with as easily as they search for clubs to play for - but it just doesn't sit right with me all the same, and I think that, if I take the Spurs glasses off for a second, he should probably go with England even if he doesn't get as great an international career out of it.

Also a good point. It's probably pretty hard to feel Spanish growing up in Hemel, no matter how many times you drive the wrong way around that damn roundabout.

Apparently Spain are looking into his eligibility as he has Spanish grandparents.
they don't tend to have a high regard for those plying their trade in foreign countries though do they. I assume that this is just a reporter finding out he has Spanish grandparents and putting together a story.

Took ages for DDG to get a call up, ditto Fabregas. And its not like Spain are light on small tidy center midfielders either, if he was a striker then maybe.

For me winks is no better that Bentelab, Mason or even Stephen Clemence if you can remember back that far. He certainly isn't a bad player, but he isn't a top four player. Let's put it this way, I can't see Emirates Marketing Project, Chelski or Utd putting a bid in for him. My prediction is that he will be sold on to a Hull or a West Ham within two years.

For me winks is no better that Bentelab, Mason or even Stephen Clemence if you can remember back that far. He certainly isn't a bad player, but he isn't a top four player. Let's put it this way, I can't see Emirates Marketing Project, Chelski or Utd putting a bid in for him. My prediction is that he will be sold on to a Hull or a West Ham within two years.

Repeating yourself is unlikely to convince anyone that you are right. You're going to need to back up your arguments with something more solid than opinions.

Last edited:
Winks has come in and helped us get over the line in big games

He looks a better player than anyone else his age in the prem playing a midfield role ... hell he for me is better than Matic who looks poor for Chelsea and is being covered by Kante

He is better than Xhaka too and Coquelin for that matter

Who have United got... well yesterday it was Phil Jones and would you seriously have him over Winks??

City don't actually know who to play Central anymore and bizarrely play Fernandinho everywhere to cover

Whose left... Can , Lucas

And my prediction is you are talking out of your Arse.

Again.

My prediction is that you have nothing more to say before reaching 100 posts.

I take it you one of those people that believe a post has be positive or not worth posting. SAD

You should take me for one of those people that belive that post should have some kind of content. You will also realise that before the 100th post or you have disappeared from this forum well before that. Generally speaking, you doing one of the most common misstake for a newcomer at a forum like this.

Last edited:

You are very poor, so transparent, you're trolling style is hardly new, i.e. thinking you're being smart by not being over the top, but enough to wind some up.
I just feel sorry for you, you try hard, but just aren't very good.
I expect your school reports were A- for effort but behind average for attainment.

You are very poor, so transparent, you're trolling style is hardly new, i.e. thinking you're being smart by not being over the top, but enough to wind some up.
I just feel sorry for you, you try hard, but just aren't very good.
I expect your school reports were A- for effort but behind average for attainment.

He's certainly not a top four quality troll. He might have a future at a club like Hull or West Ham but he's well below our standard.

Back