• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Also, in defense, numerous times, he was the closest to the ball carrier, he had no one else to mark, there was no dangerous space behind him to cover, yet he just backs off, and backs off, and backs off, until they got inside the penalty area!
He's incredibly weak in that area, and his lack of "engagement", for lack of a better word, lead to us facing dangerous situations, that could easily have been avoided by just stepping up instead of constant back peddling.

How many times did they get in the area then?
Everything I saw came via them going wide
Didn’t see a thing through the middle

Last edited:
Gown many times did they get in the area then?
Everything I saw came via them going wide
Didn’t see a thing through the middle
If I had a recording of the game, I'd show you at least 10 examples. Every time, he backed off right to the penalty area. Every time!

If I had a recording of the game, I'd show you at least 10 examples. Every time, he backed off right to the penalty area. Every time!

I was there and didn’t see that
I didn’t see that I’ve watched a highlight reel
Again I’d didn’t see that
In fact we stood out ground superbly which is why they created so little
Bit again after a great win people wanna dig out a spacegoat

No such agenda. It was just such an obvious difference in his action, compared to the other midfielders.

Completely agree. It’s obvious that Winks is becoming the spacegoat.

No such agenda. It was just such an obvious difference in his action, compared to the other midfielders.

I did a quick check and be made the most tackles of any player

Couldn’t really tell on the what map I saw how Southampton attacked but as I said earlier.... they never went though regular middle which is where he was which is why I’m surprised by your comments

Well Stop! Hammer time but for me Winks is a very good player who has a lot of ability. I think he is playing out of position but is doing so because we have missed a player like Dier to play with him.

I think once we get Dier back into the team that will allow Winks to play further forward where ( imo) he is better suited.

I’ve missed our last few games but in general I don’t recall Winks being shy of tackling. Maybe a bit last season when he had just returned from injury but other than that it isn’t a criticism I’d level at him.

Well Stop! Hammer time but for me Winks is a very good player who has a lot of ability. I think he is playing out of position but is doing so because we have missed a player like Dier to play with him.

I think once we get Dier back into the team that will allow Winks to play further forward where ( imo) he is better suited.

If Dier comes in to the team it will most likely be at the expense of Winks as Ndombele and Lo Celso will probably be expected to take up any central midfield positions further forward

Also, in defense, numerous times, he was the closest to the ball carrier, he had no one else to mark, there was no dangerous space behind him to cover, yet he just backs off, and backs off, and backs off, until they got inside the penalty area!
He's incredibly weak in that area, and his lack of "engagement", for lack of a better word, lead to us facing dangerous situations, that could easily have been avoided by just stepping up instead of constant back peddling.
Maybe he is biding his time and managing the situation, allowing others to get back into position rather than diving in and making a commitment which may or may not work. I'll watch out for it next game.

If Dier comes in to the team it will most likely be at the expense of Winks as Ndombele and Lo Celso will probably be expected to take up any central midfield positions further forward

Maybe but i do think Poch sees what Winks gives us and i think he will play more often then not.

Just watched the extended highlights video from the official Spurs youtube account. Didn't see any instances of that.

I appreciate that a video like that will only highlight a few situations. Is there a goal conceded or chance conceded to the opposition this season you see as resulting from this weakness from Winks?

Just watched the extended highlights video from the official Spurs youtube account. Didn't see any instances of that.

I appreciate that a video like that will only highlight a few situations. Is there a goal conceded or chance conceded to the opposition this season you see as resulting from this weakness from Winks?
I can't remember if it has lead to a goal. In the first half, I thought he did fairly well, but especially in the 2nd half, he was backing off until they were at 20 meters, and he was too far off the ball carrier. Most of the time they just played it wide, and we dealt with it, but I think it was too passive, and better players would punish it. Perhaps he just had tired legs.

Apart from being reactive defensively the main issue with him is that he plays passes that invite pressure from the other team.

If you've played centre midfield, you'll know that it's not just about completing your pass. As you can see the whole pitch in front of you, you're the quarterback for your team. If the pass is out to the right back/midfielder but he's immediately pressed and is forced to play it back/misplaces his pass due to pressure/losses the ball, that is a bad pass from the centre midfielder in my book.

You want to be playing passes that are not just reaching the player but are progressive in nature, maybe a yard in front that they can run onto for example...I appreciate at times it will just be a good press from the other team, but I noticed on Saturday that a lot of his passes resulted in the person passed to not being able to do anything with the ball or lose it.

I just think with someone he can trust behind him he'll go up another level in performance.

Here I thought that with a 4-4-1 formation, Winks and Ndombele in the centre playing with ten men we rarely let Southampton through the middle at all for a half where they naturally put us under quite a bit of pressure.

Most of their attacking play came down the flanks I thought.

Funny how we can see things so differently.

Not seen the game so can't comment, I assume we just sat back though which is different to how we usually play. Different mentality.

Spot on and then the haters will have an other two to moan at.

Apart from being reactive defensively the main issue with him is that he plays passes that invite pressure from the other team.

If you've played centre midfield, you'll know that it's not just about completing your pass. As you can see the whole pitch in front of you, you're the quarterback for your team. If the pass is out to the right back/midfielder but he's immediately pressed and is forced to play it back/misplaces his pass due to pressure/losses the ball, that is a bad pass from the centre midfielder in my book.

You want to be playing passes that are not just reaching the player but are progressive in nature, maybe a yard in front that they can run onto for example...I appreciate at times it will just be a good press from the other team, but I noticed on Saturday that a lot of his passes resulted in the person passed to not being able to do anything with the ball or lose it.

I just think with someone he can trust behind him he'll go up another level in performance.
This is what allows City to play out of the press and from the back so well. Always having an available teamate is one part but the other is making a pass that best makes use of that player like you say. As a team they all suffer from this weakness. Passes are very regularly hit in to feet and either over or underhit. Which then makes the receiver have to shuffle their feet and just gives the opposition extra recovery time.

Ndombele has shown some indications that he can see and will forward pass into space as opposed to just going for the lazy pass into feet.

Winks is definitely guilty of this as is Sissoko and that the heartbeat of the team [emoji21]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Maybe but i do think Poch sees what Winks gives us and i think he will play more often then not.

Im sure he does too but my point was more that he is probably earmarked for the base of the diamond with Lo Celso and Ndombele for the two positions in front and it will be Dier or Winks rather than both on the pitch together

Back