• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Exactly, and shows why stats can be so utterly misleading. You can actually see from that diagram exactly where Newcash were defending. Imagine if he'd attacked those channel spaces a bit more; draws the rigid defensive shape out off position and allows Son and Moura pockets to dart into.

tickle my balls with a feather.

that's how all our opponents want all our players to pass it - sideways only in the final third.

with our slow build up and lack of height in attack, and safe side way passing it is really turgid football, nothing of the audere est facere, we are supposed to be.

true spurs legends are football players who believe in the game of glory. as neat a footballer winks is, he will never be one.

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Exactly, and shows why stats can be so utterly misleading. You can actually see from that diagram exactly where Newcash were defending. Imagine if he'd attacked those channel spaces a bit more; draws the rigid defensive shape out off position and allows Son and Moura pockets to dart into.

Winks should look at Chelsea's second goal scored today versus Sheff Utd....Jorginho dinks one, in between the Sheff Utd's two center-halves*, causing them to panic and they both clatter into each other due to the presence of Abraham. He then goes on to score..

Liverpool's midfielders Milner and Henderson constantly do quick similar passes into the channels for Mane and Salah to feed off.. As long as the pass is not overhit out of play, the pass does not have to have pinpoint accuracy but just have enough to give the defenders a problem so that the attackers such as, Son and Moura are given a fair chance of getting something out of the situation.

* initially I thought it were a Sheff Utd full-back and center half that clattered into each other but the point is still the same..

Last edited:
Winks should look at Chelsea's second goal scored today versus Sheff Utd....Jorginho dinks one, in between the Sheff Utd's two center-halves*, causing them to panic and they both clatter into each other due to the presence of Abraham. He then goes on to score..

Liverpool's midfielders Milner and Henderson constantly do quick similar passes into the channels for Mane and Ham Salad to feed off.. As long as the pass is not overhit out of play, the pass does not have to have pinpoint accuracy but just have enough to give the defenders a problem so that the attackers such as, Son and Moura are given a fair chance of getting something out of the situation.

* initially I thought it were a Sheff Utd full-back and center half that clattered into each other but the point is still the same..
It's great for him to look at it, but he needs the technique to pull it off. I'm not convinced he has the confidence to attempt it along with the composure. I want him to to do it o really do but the more games he plays the more limited his passing game appears to be.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

It's great for him to look at it, but he needs the technique to pull it off. I'm not convinced he has the confidence to attempt it along with the composure. I want him to to do it o really do but the more games he plays the more limited his passing game appears to be.

They're not difficult passes to make, if he can't make them he shouldn't be in the team..

Wow, this bandwagons really rolling now isn’t it!

Most scary really

When someone highlights a Chelsea midfielder who almost left the field in tears when we played them because he couldn’t handle pressure I wonder how football has changed

Was that his first assist for Chelsea today then as he didn’t get one last season

And Milner and Henderson regularly over hot passes as that’s not something their good at and basically miss their man

I think people just need to think back to some of the passes Winks played vs Madrid at Wembley two years to see what he is capable of.
Perhaps, like most in the team, he is playing within himself due to lack of confidence etc, but to say he doesn't have incisive passes in him is wrong.

I think people just need to think back to some of the passes Winks played vs Madrid at Wembley two years to see what he is capable of.
Perhaps, like most in the team, he is playing within himself due to lack of confidence etc, but to say he doesn't have incisive passes in him is wrong.
You're not the first person to make reference to this mythical performance but there was really nothing special about any of the passes he made that night, they are of the same as he is making now, safe and tidy.

The difference with that game was the space he was always able to receive the ball in and the press resistance he displayed. Not his passing game, which was admittedly tidy but of the unadventurous type that he is criticised for now. I've even linked a clip of all his touches in that match to jog everyone's memory.

remember that if the formation/team setup is not working correctly space will not be created allowing the likes of Winks room to pass!
Its the collective/team that is paramount its why players at City may now play better than when they were at say, Chelsea e.g. Kevin De Bruyne

You're not the first person to make reference to this mythical performance but there was really nothing special about any of the passes he made that night, they are of the same as he is making now, safe and tidy.

The difference with that game was the space he was always able to receive the ball in and the press resistance he displayed. Not his passing game, which was admittedly tidy but of the unadventurous type that he is criticised for now. I've even linked a clip of all his touches in that match to jog everyone's memory.

Erm, i said the game vs Real Madrid at WEMBLEY!!

@Gazza Dazzla @Bedfordspurs

It's not about the players Jorghino, Henderson and Milner, I'm certainly not singing their praises.

I like Winks but I think he has to adapt his play to individual games, be instructed by Poch to be a bit more positive.

My point is that Winks is not attempting the quick vertical passes enough. He seems to be on automatic mode to take control of the ball and to then assess the situation for possession purposes, which is all good when up against quality opposition but not so important against the bus parking teams.. He needs to be attempting the quick vertical pass into the defensive channels against the likes of Villa and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, giving our forward players something to latch on to ..

@Gazza Dazzla @Bedfordspurs

It's not about the players Jorghino, Henderson and Milner, I'm certainly not singing their praises.

I like Winks but I think he has to adapt his play to individual games, be instructed by Poch to be a bit more positive.

My point is that Winks is not attempting the quick vertical passes enough. He seems to be on automatic mode to take control of the ball and to then assess the situation for possession purposes, which is all good when up against quality opposition but not so important against the bus parking teams.. He needs to be attempting the quick vertical pass into the defensive channels against the likes of Villa and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, giving our forward players something to latch on to ..

Again teams don’t play like that against every team either

For some reason teams don’t park the bus deep vs pool. They play defensive but further forward. It could be because pool score early and we all know that early goal is vital

Jorginho IMO does not play any positive passes forward. I think he is bang average myself

There have been times where I’ve wondered if Winks isn’t just another Carroll or Mason (the way our youth department manufacture that style of player) but after last season I do think he’s a cut above. He’s allowed a drop in form.

Bit what deep lying CM actually does that regularly?
So what is he doing then? He's not a DM, at least not a very good one, because he's not good at blocking off space, he's quite easy to get past, often doesn't track runners.
In current state he's pretty much useless. All he does is slow us down by endlessly passing sideways.

Back