• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Maguire

Playing so far forward, with CBs on half way or further, we will need super fast athletic CBs to chase back; not Dier nor Maguire.

I think Maguire is a good player who just needs to move to a smaller club that Man Utd, less in the spotlight and restore his confidence.

You're probably right that this is what Maguire needs, but whilst he might be an improvement on our current options I'd prefer not to have to rely on a CB who needs to rediscover his confidence (especially as you imply there would likely be a mixed reaction to him anyway, so not necessarily the best environment for restoring that confidence).

Postecoglou seems to have a consistent way of playing so if Maguire suits that and is available at a sensible price then fair enough. Given he’s 30, this isn’t a bet the farm, long term signing

You're probably right that this is what Maguire needs, but whilst he might be an improvement on our current options I'd prefer not to have to rely on a CB who needs to rediscover his confidence (especially as you imply there would likely be a mixed reaction to him anyway, so not necessarily the best environment for restoring that confidence).
I think you’re right. I don’t think we would bring him in due to his wages anyway. I just think he is a better player than many give him credit for.

I think you’re right. I don’t think we would bring him in due to his wages anyway. I just think he is a better player than many give him credit for.
He's been terrible for a few years. If Ange wants to play a high line then he doesn't really fit into that, he'd trip over his own feet trying to run back.
I'd actually prefer Sanchez in a high line over Maguire.

He's been terrible for a few years. If Ange wants to play a high line then he doesn't really fit into that, he'd trip over his own feet trying to run back.
Maguire at his peak walks into our defence.

Current Maguire doesn't make our bench.

Ange does push high, very high.

It's why I think the Maguire stuff is bs, and I think Dier is out

I've always thought Maguire isn't as bad as he looks with United. In the right team, he could do a job because he's a decent defender and ball player. His problem is when he's asked to defend high and his mobility and pace are exposed.

I'd have thought a Conte team would be the place for him. What I know of Ange...not so much.

It does seem like a strange idea but it's quite likely that when a journalist need to make up a rumor, they draw a few names out of a hat and that's that.

Don't know if there's anything about United making a bid for Kane. They do talk quite a lot about it, here. In that case, they could be testing the water and see if we'd be willing to add him to a deal. After all, they got lucky with us once...

How does that work if they are under lapping ?
There is a video on it in the Ange thread.
It's more that they help pack the midfield in transition, but when pushing high up it's the centre backs that do that and step into midfield so the midfield push higher higher up and full backs are positioned to go either way.
It seems very high risk to me.

Yes, but no matter who covers, having a slow as fudge CB sitting on the half way line is not a good strategy.
CBs that have pace and are good on the ball - not too many available to us.
We might just find ourselves in a Maguire Vs Sanchez scenario.
Alternatively, Ange will adapt to what he has/can get

Postecoglou seems to have a consistent way of playing so if Maguire suits that and is available at a sensible price then fair enough. Given he’s 30, this isn’t a bet the farm, long term signing
Levy says no - for once, i'd agree

Ange wants a really press a la celtic, he won't fit in, definitely

Back