• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Pretty much agree with your analysis re Kane. He's an 8/10 in most aspects of the being a striker, finishing wise I'd say he's an 8 or a 9 (no one is a 10), he misses a few chances but so do most players. His hold up play is exceptional, good with both feet, very good in the air and can score almost any type of goal. That said, I look at someone like Ageuro and think he just looks more silky and is more of a handful to a defenders in terms of his skill, dribbling and overall play. Kane is more aggresive and more a physical presence but Ageuro must be a nightmare to defend against with his pace and trickery.

He's one of the top goalscorers and strikers in world football. Personally, I'd say Suarez and Aguero are both better because of what they bring to the team besides being great goalscorers.

As for his form now, yes I fully accept that starts the season slow typically but he's looked lethargic/insert adjective here since March, that's not a blip I'm afraid and his general play at the World Cup was poor despite scoring 6 goals, he wasn't attacking the 6 yard box and Moura has been doing more of that than Kane in the first few games this season. I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if he started a couple of games from the bench but I'm not sure if we can afford to do that as Liverpool look dangerous and we can't afford to slip up even at this early stage, we don't want to be playing catch up to Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project.

I'd agree with a lot of that, apart from Suarez and Aguero being better "because of what they bring to the team besides scoring": i think they only are better in terms of pace perhaps, and maybe natural trickery, BUT i think a fully fit and firing Kane actually brings more to the team than Aguero and is on par with Suarez. Just look at how exasperated Pep has been with Aguero; he'd swap Aguero for a fully fit and firing Kane in a heartbeat. Aguero brings less to the team in terms of overall play, putting pressure on defenders etc than Kane. Only perhaps more pace. You certainly wont find Aguero assisting like Kane did for Son's second vs Huddersfield last season, for Eriksen vs Madrid or the pass to Alli for his eventual goal away at Swansea.

I also disagree about Kane's general play at the World Cup: i don't think he has been fully fit and i think given that the England midfield is not that creative and lacks a real no.10/tempo setter in the mould of a Silva or Eriksen i think Kane was mainly feeding on scraps and actually played often quite intelligently in dropping deep to start attacks or win free-kicks to relieve pressure. I especially thought he was good vs Colombia in this regard, when you consider their roughhouse tactics.

Kane, though, hasn't been physically the same since his injury in March, but he might be adding more intelligence to his game - maybe by necessity...

That's a subjective arguement re PL vs La Liga but Messi and Ronaldo have dominated the CL for most of their careers, which is the highest standard of club football there is, higher than the PL.
Fair point.

Of course Harry is still only at the start of his CL career but he already has a better scoring record in that competition than either Ronaldo or Messi in their first few games. Seven goals in his first seven games stands as the all-time record I believe.

Also, Messi and Ronaldo have play(ed) all of their CL games for teams at the top in Europe: Man United at their peak, Barcelona, Real Madrid. So they've always benefited from being surrounded by world class players, the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Modric, Bale, Kroos, Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar, Suarez etc, players who could generate that many more goalscoring opportunities for them.

Just trying to keep things in their proper perspective here. ;)

I know it sounds daft, but I do wonder if becoming a Dad back at the beginning of 2017 has impacted him.

He had his first kid in Jan 2017 and those first years absolutely wreck parents with lack of sleep etc.

I know it sounds daft, but I do wonder if becoming a Dad back at the beginning of 2017 has impacted him.

He had his first kid in Jan 2017 and those first years absolutely wreck parents with lack of sleep etc.

For some reason, I've always imagined top athletes with small kids to have nannies hired 24 hours, as there is simply no fudging way they can perform on a high level week in week out without getting enough sleep. I just can't imagine a professional like Kane not getting enough sleep - so crucial, and he must know it.

For some reason, I've always imagined top athletes with small kids to have nannies hired 24 hours, as there is simply no fudging way they can perform on a high level week in week out without getting enough sleep. I just can't imagine a professional like Kane not getting enough sleep - so crucial, and he must know it.

I know what you mean. But maybe as a Dad he wants to be more hands-on, who knows. But his seeming lack of sharpness does seem to tie-in with him becoming a parent.

I really don't see much difference between Dier and Henderson. Both are quite limited technically. Henderson got the nod at the World Cup and actually played better than I thought he would and more than justified Southgate's choice to pick him over Dier. I appreciate Dier for what he is but I do wish he would realise that he can't play and just keep it simple sometimes as he's rather limited on the ball.

I don't think either of them are the answer for a top side.

Dier passing is much under rated as his his skill

Just look at the pass for Allis goal vs pool and his run vs Belgium in the 3rd place play off for example

He doesn’t show it as much in a spurs shirt as we have Eriksen who does most of the key passes. People remember when Dier loses the ball as it has cost us a few times (Pool away) but their gerenrall6 high risk passes.

What changed when Dier came on was the defence had confidence to drop into midfield to step up... they didn’t do that at all with Henderson. If you was to ask Stones and Maguire who the would want in front of them I’d be amazed if it wasn’t Dier judging by the change in how they played

Dier passing is much under rated as his his skill

Just look at the pass for Allis goal vs pool and his run vs Belgium in the 3rd place play off for example

He doesn’t show it as much in a spurs shirt as we have Eriksen who does most of the key passes. People remember when Dier loses the ball as it has cost us a few times (Pool away) but their gerenrall6 high risk passes.

What changed when Dier came on was the defence had confidence to drop into midfield to step up... they didn’t do that at all with Henderson. If you was to ask Stones and Maguire who the would want in front of them I’d be amazed if it wasn’t Dier judging by the change in how they played
Mate there are plenty of examples of Henderson playing superb passes that I’ve seen for both England and Liverpool. The reality is Dier and Henderson are much of a muchness, the only difference is Dier has more time on his side to improve...

It seems with regards to the Kane debate that 'pace and trickery' counts for double for some when it comes to evaluating a players all round game - from what i can see he's as every bit as important/effective outside of scoring goals as any other high scoring striker - plus he actually is quite 'trickery' if you watch him, just has zero elegance when bundling the ball through defenders...

The video below is more than just a goal reel and shows his all round game quite well.

Was from last season as well where he wasn't really at his best either for large parts of it.

Last edited:
Been saying for a while that Kane will be burnt out at 28. Any striker playing in a Poch team will because of the sheer amount of work they do.

It does worry me. I said previously on this thread - he doesn’t miss games unless he’s actually injured. He also seems to see out 90 mins a lot (even when we are 2 or 3 up).

Surely these things have to change.

Have noticed that Kane has not been in great form since January. He does not seems to be as clinical or deadly with his feet as before. A lot of his goals for us and England during this period have been headers or penalties. Remember, he used to score many long range goals from outside the penalty box but can't seem to score such goals now.

I know what you mean. But maybe as a Dad he wants to be more hands-on, who knows. But his seeming lack of sharpness does seem to tie-in with him becoming a parent.
This had crossed my mind too, maybe it’s a combination of the injury, parenting and the sheer volume of football he has played. I get the impression that other players are seldom fast tracked back from injury so maybe the other factor is the lack of a trusted backup.

It’s not like he’s playing badly, an 80% Kane is still better than most, but there is a consensus that it feels like he’s playing with the handbrake on and there is a genuine concern that he might be overdoing it.

Of course he always delights in proving people wrong, myself included so he’ll probably outsprint Salad in his way to completing the perfect hat trick on Saturday...

Mate there are plenty of examples of Henderson playing superb passes that I’ve seen for both England and Liverpool. The reality is Dier and Henderson are much of a muchness, the only difference is Dier has more time on his side to improve...

There are plenty I agree

But there are plenty of him kicking the ball out of play with a simple pass... and of course passing backwards

Is it possible that the intensity Kane has played and trained at for the last three years is simply not sustainable? Might it also be possible that Poch makes demands on players that ultimately burn them out? Is there any danger of footballers getting wise to this, and Poch looking less attractive to young players as a result?

Is it possible that the intensity Kane has played and trained at for the last three years is simply not sustainable? Might it also be possible that Poch makes demands on players that ultimately burn them out? Is there any danger of footballers getting wise to this, and Poch looking less attractive to young players as a result?

Or players who don't like hard work and tough training don't come to Spurs and end up at West Ham's or the old Arsenal's in the world.
Pochettino is not alone it his demands for hard work. Herr Klopp and Guardiola are no easy touches and they are just two of many examples.

Or players who don't like hard work and tough training don't come to Spurs and end up at West Ham's or the old Arsenal's in the world.
Pochettino is not alone it his demands for hard work. Herr Klopp and Guardiola are no easy touches and they are just two of many examples.

That's already a given. My worry is that players who do like hard work and tough training are advised by their agents and representatives to take a longer-term view of their career, and to avoid modern managers who use a combination of cutting-edge sports science and old-fashioned martinetry to get absolutely the most they possibly can from their charges.

The only saving grace is that most of the agents and advisers are short-termist themselves.

This had crossed my mind too, maybe it’s a combination of the injury, parenting and the sheer volume of football he has played. I get the impression that other players are seldom fast tracked back from injury so maybe the other factor is the lack of a trusted backup.

It’s not like he’s playing badly, an 80% Kane is still better than most, but there is a consensus that it feels like he’s playing with the handbrake on and there is a genuine concern that he might be overdoing it.

Of course he always delights in proving people wrong, myself included so he’ll probably outsprint Salad in his way to completing the perfect hat trick on Saturday...

That's how I see it. I think everyone can agree that he's not at peak, but Poch, GS and H himself seem happy to plough on at 80%. That's all well and good but you're unlikely to get back to the 100% by doing that.

That's how I see it. I think everyone can agree that he's not at peak, but Poch, GS and H himself seem happy to plough on at 80%. That's all well and good but you're unlikely to get back to the 400% by doing that.
Not so sure about that, we've been here before. I seem to recall other occasions when this forum has been swamped by the 'needs a rest' narrative only for him to keep going then launch himself on one of his amazing scoring runs.

Keep the faith!

Back