• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

The stick from fans I can kind of get, it is bound to happen and does happen when any player does something in the slightest bit questionable.

But getting stick from the FA was absolutely outrageous. To stick the boot in on the player you are hoping will lead the country in a World Cup just a few months away is macaronic.

Agree.

The stick from fans I can kind of get, it is bound to happen and does happen when any player does something in the slightest bit questionable.

But getting stick from the FA was absolutely outrageous. To stick the boot in on the player you are hoping will lead the country in a World Cup just a few months away is macaronic.

I don’t really think the FA were sticking the boot in. It was seemingly a one-off by an individual running the FA’s twitter account. Not the FA as a whole although it reflects badly on them. They very much need to set some clear boundaries for their staff on what is acceptable “banter”.
I was much more aggrieved by the PFA chairman making a joke about the claimed goal at an awards ceremony at which Kane was a shortlisted candidate sitting in the audience. That imo was highly disrespectful, as were tweets by his peers.

But Kane is talented enough and committed enough to leave this as dust on his heels next season.

We have a truly extraordinary, exceptionally talented player on our hands. And no amount of disparaging from other fans, players or the media in general is going to stop Kane from giving his all. For us. (And England).

I don’t really think the FA were sticking the boot in. It was seemingly a one-off by an individual running the FA’s twitter account. Not the FA as a whole although it reflects badly on them. They very much need to set some clear boundaries for their staff on what is acceptable “banter”.
I was much more aggrieved by the PFA chairman making a joke about the claimed goal at an awards ceremony at which Kane was a shortlisted candidate sitting in the audience. That imo was highly disrespectful, as were tweets by his peers.

But Kane is talented enough and committed enough to leave this as dust on his heels next season.

We have a truly extraordinary, exceptionally talented player on our hands. And no amount of disparaging from other fans, players or the media in general is going to stop Kane from giving his all. For us. (And England).
Well said GL.

Kane is a great player and the way he works at his game he will probably go on and get better, but for some to dismiss what Salad has done in his first season at Liverpool ( in what some believe is the hardest Lge in the world) is childish at best. ( imo). Love him or hate him his record stands alone.
What are your thoughts on Kevin Phillips?

What are your thoughts on Kevin Phillips?

oh dear......i dont think anyone has said they think Salad is going to score 40 goals every season. What they are saying is that he has been exceptional THIS season and deserves all the recognition and awards. Its quite simple really.

oh dear......i dont think anyone has said they think Salad is going to score 40 goals every season. What they are saying is that he has been exceptional THIS season and deserves all the recognition and awards. Its quite simple really.

Thats the bit that gets me.

Kane gets the golden boot, passing headline "Hurrah for the one season wonder"
Kane gets another golden boot, passing headline of "Hey look, he did it again, maybe he is quite good?"
Salah gets a golden boot, by 2 goals from Kane, and Im pretty sure they are about to announce a special bank holiday in his honour.

I think THATS the issue.

I recognise he has had an exceptional season, scored some wonderful goals, and deserves the golden boot (though I do wonder if Kane hadnt got injured for a month, would he have got it?). And Id give him player of the season as well, Liverpool made CL football again because of him - they would be no where near otherwise (think about that, and consider Chelsea who have been brick would have got 4th instead).

I just resent the media narrative around it all.

Kane has been made the butt of many jokes, rather unfairly.
Emirates Marketing Project win the league breaking records in amazing style, and everything is about Salah and Liverpool.
Even just the TV coverage, last day of the season was all interviews with him like HE won the league.

It is entirely disproportionate to the achievement.

Kane gets another golden boot, passing headline of "Hey look, he did it again, maybe he is quite good?"
Salad gets a golden boot, by 2 goals from Kane, and Im pretty sure they are about to announce a special bank holiday in his honour.

I think THATS the issue.

I recognise he has had an exceptional season, scored some wonderful goals, and deserves the golden boot (though I do wonder if Kane hadnt got injured for a month, would he have got it?). And Id give him player of the season as well, Liverpool made CL football again because of him - they would be no where near otherwise (think about that, and consider Chelsea who have been brick would have got 4th instead).

Emirates Marketing Project win the league breaking records in amazing style, and everything is about Salad and Liverpool.
Even just the TV coverage, last day of the season was all interviews with him like HE won the league.

Can I just say that it has taken time for some Spurs fans to see how good Harry has become. Some of us don't really appreciate how amazing he is. Regarding the media and other fans, I don't see or hear him being made the button of jokes apart from the goal at Stoke. In fact Harry is pretty much given a heap of credit and praise from everyone for the way he has worked hard to get to the position he has.

Salad is a wide forward who has scored over 40 goals in a season. It is a bit of a novelty and if anyone is going to have the pressure of being a one season wonder if will be him and he will have to deal with it. The media can't help rubbing Chelski's nose in it for the fact they let him go, the same with DeBruyne. That's a big narrative behind why the media are so into praising Salad too. It's even funnier for the press that Liverpool finished 4th and Chelski fifth

Harry never made a mistake with claiming that goal at Stoke. His mistake was tweeting Lineker to highlight the touch on MOTD, then the tweet that he swears on his daughter's life he got a touch. It was too much. He should have just let the club make a claim to the FA and left it at that. The stick he got was because he made himself appear desperate when he really didn't have to. He will have learned from it.

Harry tried to justify his entirely just action when the bully boys were already rearing their head. I agree, he probably didnt help himself - but it was no mistake. It was a reaction to the over reaction he was already facing.

Salah is a forward. Wide or not. He is there to score goals in a team that plays entirely out of balance just to facilitate its forwards. A team that increasingly played to service him specifically. His achievement is a excellent, but it doesnt need massaging further with "wide forward" talk as if that adds something to his achievment. When the team is set up as such, he did his job.

And I dont even buy the anti Chelsea vibe. Its a Liverpool thing. Why? I dont know. But any time the press can go OTT in their praise of them they do so with gusto. Yes, there is a negative to that in the way we an Chelsea are painted (or not at all), but thats a by product rather than cause IMO.

Salad gets a golden boot, by 2 goals from Kane, and Im pretty sure they are about to announce a special bank holiday in his honour.

I think THATS the issue.

Emirates Marketing Project win the league breaking records in amazing style, and everything is about Salad and Liverpool.

I don’t agree they’d have got nowhere near CL qualification without Salah. They got there last season without him.

If he wasn’t there other players may have stepped up and whoever was playing instead of him would also have scored goals.

We get accused of being a one man team too. However, when Kane was out, we demolished Bournemouth and Swansea and beat Chelsea at their place.

I hate The Dippers as much as the next man but they are genuine top 4 contenders with or without Salah.

Harry tried to justify his entirely just action when the bully boys were already rearing their head. I agree, he probably didnt help himself - but it was no mistake. It was a reaction to the over reaction he was already facing.

Salad is a forward. Wide or not. He is there to score goals in a team that plays entirely out of balance just to facilitate its forwards. A team that increasingly played to service him specifically. His achievement is a excellent, but it doesnt need massaging further with "wide forward" talk as if that adds something to his achievment. When the team is set up as such, he did his job.

And I dont even buy the anti Chelsea vibe. Its a Liverpool thing. Why? I dont know. But any time the press can go OTT in their praise of them they do so with gusto. Yes, there is a negative to that in the way we an Chelsea are painted (or not at all), but thats a by product rather than cause IMO.

And I don't buy all this paranoia either. We get a tonne of praise as a club, as does Harry as a player. But sometimes there is stick too. It's no big deal imo.

Liverpool have had plenty of stick for their defence, their goalkeeping situation, for cashing in on Coutinho in Jan, for tapping up Van Dyke and not completing the deal in teh summer and then not buying an alternative. Oh and their rock and roll football which many call naive. Shall I go on

Yes Salad is a forward and Liverpool are set up to get the best out of him, Mane and Firminho. Anything wrong with that? Isn't it every teams intention to get the best out of their forwards, score goals and win games? Salad has 44 goals and 14 assists. Firminho 27 goals 16 assists, Mane 19 goals 8 assists. Klopps plan has worked

Salad is a wide forward just like Hazard, Sanchez, Sane, Sterling, Mane, Son etc How many of them have ever scored over 40 goals in an english season.

I believe it's a one off season and he won't do it again. If you think it's no big deal what he has achieved then I guess you expected them from the start of the season and in that case you are in a tiny minority of one because no-one had Salah as a contender for the golden boot;)

I think THATS the issue.

I don't think there was ever really the headlines you claim about Kane. Yes fans of other teams made claims that he was just a one season wonder, just as it seems there are some fans on here who have a suspicion that Salah will be one of those (wrongly IMO. While I think he has had a particular purple patch this season and things will be harder for him next season as teams pay him special attention, I still think he will be a 20+ per season goal scorer for Liverpool if he says there).

Kane got a huge amount of positive press, akin to what Salah is currently getting when he won the golden boot in the previous seasons.

Yes Harry has been the butt of jokes since claiming the disputed goal. I think any high profile player would've got the same treatment though to be fair.

I don’t agree they’d have got nowhere near CL qualification without Salad. They got there last season without him.

If he wasn’t there other players may have stepped up and whoever was playing instead of him would also have scored goals.

We get accused of being a one man team too. However, when Kane was out, we demolished Bournemouth and Swansea and beat Chelsea at their place.

I hate The Dippers as much as the next man but they are genuine top 4 contenders with or without Salad.

Ifs and buts, of course.

However, take his 32 league goals out, and I doubt they get replaced or Liverpool win as many games, genuinely.

And thats not bitterness. His goals were often key, getting the first for example to break the deadlock. I really dont think they could have replaced that sufficiently to maintain a 5 point lead over Chelsea (2 points going into the last day).

And that is a badly misfiring Chelsea. It was a close run thing WITH Salah, without? I dont think we can say with confidence they would have got top 4.

And I don't buy all this paranoia either. We get a tonne of praise as a club, as does Harry as a player. But sometimes there is stick too. It's no big deal imo.

Liverpool have had plenty of stick for their defence, their goalkeeping situation, for cashing in on Coutinho in Jan, for tapping up Van Dyke and not completing the deal in teh summer and then not buying an alternative. Oh and their rock and roll football which many call naive. Shall I go on

Yes Salad is a forward and Liverpool are set up to get the best out of him, Mane and Firminho. Anything wrong with that? Isn't it every teams intention to get the best out of their forwards, score goals and win games? Salad has 44 goals and 14 assists. Firminho 27 goals 16 assists, Mane 19 goals 8 assists. Klopps plan has worked

Salad is a wide forward just like Hazard, Sanchez, Sane, Sterling, Mane, Son etc How many of them have ever scored over 40 goals in an english season.

I believe it's a one off season and he won't do it again. If you think it's no big deal what he has achieved then I guess you expected them from the start of the season and in that case you are in a tiny minority of one because no-one had Salad as a contender for the golden boot;)

Dont confuse sites like this with the media. I see very little in the way of negative press to Liverpool, never do. And never with the sort of glee and revelry we face when it turns against us.

Praise for us is always with a caveat, is always taken down a notch. Criticism is delivered with far to much enthusiasm, as is empty speculative talk.

Look at Pool this last week. Despite getting gobbled off all season long, they underperformed compared to themselves last season. And the gobbling continues in place of celebrating the genuine successes of City. Its bizarre.

Negatives? Always with that positive caveat. "Yes the defense is bad, but with this player theyll win the league!"

Its not paranoia, its observation.

The caveat of "wide forward" is framed as such as to add a dimension to his achievement. Which Im not looking to downplay, he has done brilliantly, but I am looking to not talk up unecessarily.

Interesting you point to his team mates, notice how they scored significantly less than him? Wonder if, perhaps, its because they were playing in service to him? Thats my point - he was the focal point on the team. Everything was set up for him. "Wide" is irrelevant.

And I must reiterate - Im not talking down his achievement. He has been remarkable, Im just trying to put it in its proper place and not get on the hype train.

I don't think there was ever really the headlines you claim about Kane. Yes fans of other teams made claims that he was just a one season wonder, just as it seems there are some fans on here who have a suspicion that Salad will be one of those (wrongly IMO. While I think he has had a particular purple patch this season and things will be harder for him next season as teams pay him special attention, I still think he will be a 20+ per season goal scorer for Liverpool if he says there).

Kane got a huge amount of positive press, akin to what Salad is currently getting when he won the golden boot in the previous seasons.

Yes Harry has been the butt of jokes since claiming the disputed goal. I think any high profile player would've got the same treatment though to be fair.

I have to disagree, on both counts.

I do not recall anything like as much praise for him. And I really do believe if it was, for example, Salah claiming that goal - the press/reporting/reaction would have been entirely different. It would have been "If it touched him then he should get it, he is going for the golden boot"

Ifs and buts, of course.

However, take his 32 league goals out, and I doubt they get replaced or Liverpool win as many games, genuinely.

And thats not bitterness. His goals were often key, getting the first for example to break the deadlock. I really dont think they could have replaced that sufficiently to maintain a 5 point lead over Chelsea (2 points going into the last day).

And that is a badly misfiring Chelsea. It was a close run thing WITH Salad, without? I dont think we can say with confidence they would have got top 4.

Dont confuse sites like this with the media. I see very little in the way of negative press to Liverpool, never do. And never with the sort of glee and revelry we face when it turns against us.

Praise for us is always with a caveat, is always taken down a notch. Criticism is delivered with far to much enthusiasm, as is empty speculative talk.

Look at Pool this last week. Despite getting gobbled off all season long, they underperformed compared to themselves last season. And the gobbling continues in place of celebrating the genuine successes of City. Its bizarre.

Negatives? Always with that positive caveat. "Yes the defense is bad, but with this player theyll win the league!"

Its not paranoia, its observation.

The caveat of "wide forward" is framed as such as to add a dimension to his achievement. Which Im not looking to downplay, he has done brilliantly, but I am looking to not talk up unecessarily.

Interesting you point to his team mates, notice how they scored significantly less than him? Wonder if, perhaps, its because they were playing in service to him? Thats my point - he was the focal point on the team. Everything was set up for him. "Wide" is irrelevant.

And I must reiterate - Im not talking down his achievement. He has been remarkable, Im just trying to put it in its proper place and not get on the hype train.

I do not recall anything like as much praise for him. And I really do believe if it was, for example, Salad claiming that goal - the press/reporting/reaction would have been entirely different. It would have been "If it touched him then he should get it, he is going for the golden boot"

I have to say you come across in this instance as slightly paranoid:)

Sàlads goals have not all been tap ins where his teammates have done all the work and laid it on a plate for him because the whole team is built to do that....just take his goal in the last minute against us where he bamboozled our defence and Lloris as one small example. It was all down to his brilliance at that moment. He scored many where it was down to him to produce something special

Still I'm racking my brain to figure out who is going over the top in their praise of Liverpool. :confused: on the final day all there was left to play for was 4th place and Salah v Kane for the golden boot. It was between Liverpool and Chelski. That's the only thing the media could focus on. Liverpool destroyed Brighton, Salah made sure he finished top scorer. So all the talk was about them, not really a big surprise is it. City were already champions, they had already received thier deserved praise

On MOTD we were the first game despite it being meaningless. 9 goals 5-4 thriller yes, but if the media is so obsessed with Liverpool and Salah why weren't they the first game considering they won 4-0 in the 4th place decider.

Cat wait to see how you react if they win the CL;)

I get that, its online - I doubt you would take the same impression in person.

Im not saying all his goals have been taps ins, at all. I am saying that team is geared up to serve him and get the best out of him though, and surely thats not something to argue about?

Ill say again, for anyone not listening, I think he has been excellent all year. Its not like Im trying to argue he doesnt deserve the golden boot. Simply that I think the level of praise is well OTT considering.

SSN in particular, but the tabloids in general have all been so far up Liverpools ass its embarrassing.

City did this this season, much of it achieved on the last day:
Biggest title-winning margin, Earliest title success, Most points, Most goals, Most wins, Most consecutive wins, Most away wins, Best goal difference, Highest average possession, Most passes, Most consecutive Premier League Manager of the Month awards....

I turn on the TV and what do I see? At the top of every segment Salah getting interviewed on the turf in front of a special stand as if he just won the world cup as a single player team.

You may not have seen it, you may use different media, but for me the reporting has been embarrassingly OTT (and thats nothing to do with Salah, rather the treatment of him.)

I dont even remember anything with Kane, Im sure it was just a facebook post I saw!

MOTD a 9 goal thriller is always going to start, thats just a given.

Let me be clear - I am completely self aware on this : I fudging HATE LIVERPOOL, and Ill be gutted if they win the CL. I want Madrid to smash them to pieces.

I think Liverpool have been massively over rated this season. Much like Utd, I dont really think Liverpool are as good as their placing/finish suggest. But thats football.

Neither of these things impact the way Im viewing the reporting etc.

As Ive said, many times now, Salah has been excellent and Im very capable of recognising that.

I do not recall anything like as much praise for him. And I really do believe if it was, for example, Salad claiming that goal - the press/reporting/reaction would have been entirely different. It would have been "If it touched him then he should get it, he is going for the golden boot"

I think you are a little paranoid. I recall there being just as much praise for Kane, perhaps even more. You couldn't move for seeing him on the back pages of the paper, the front cover of magazines and dominating the headlines of all the sports news sites on the internet. His publicity was both vast and positive

Salah is now getting that same brilliant press. Remember that he has just broke the record for the number of goals scored in a Premier League season. He has also (rightly) been voted player of the year by both fellow professional players and the sports writers (and deservedly so IMO), winning both by a huge margin. I think he completely deserves all the accolades that he is getting at the moment. I am baffled if you don't think he deserves those accolades?

Had Salah done what Kane did he would've got just as much stick IMO. I don't think there was anything wrong with the stick that Kane got for claiming that goal, had it been a player at a different club we all would've been happy to dish it out (even a fair number of our own fans weren't happy about it, so that should tell you something about how his actions were perceived).

I genuinely did not pick up on it as much at all. Its not paranoia, I didnt see it.

Maybe it was there, I dont know.

I do know, the overwhelming impression for me was that the Golden Boot was a nice personal success and bragging rights between rivals. A trivial thing in the scheme of things.

This season it seems to be the beginning and end of everything, rather than the aside I always took it for.

And, at this point Im getting bored of reiterating it, I have at no point said he hasnt been excellent or deserved the awards.

And I really do think the stick was way OTT. To have our own FA wading in was frankly ridiculous, and I do believe it wouldnt have been the same for anyone. At the time it wasnt even a big deal, it was blown all out of proportion.

Back