• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Fundamentally speaking

what do people need / want from a striker?

At a striker's core, what are the most important traits needed for a striker to succeed?

At any level , on ANy team

Unless you are so vastly superior to the defences (Messi, Rinaldo and Drogba) then it is all about picking battles carefully to exploit defensive weakness, maximise team mates strengths to create and utilise attacking space.

And stick the fahkin thing in the onion bag.

Ade's body with Sheringham's brain in it.

this is what i thought many would say

but i think thats actually wrong. thats not what you fundamentally need, thats what you want from a super striker....but thats not what fundamentally strikers need in order to be overal successful

Unless you are so vastly superior to the defences (Messi, Rinaldo and Drogba) then it is all about picking battles carefully to exploit defensive weakness, maximise team mates strengths to create and utilise attacking space.

And stick the fahkin thing in the onion bag.

agree with this a lot more to be honest

20 league goals per season.

Whatever the various strengths of the top strikers, the common theme is that they score plenty of goals.

We need a team/system to support our strikers, to allow them to make the most of their abilities.

Any striker we buy that scores 20 PL goals in a season, will be on the next bus to Madrid/PSG/pick one, so the system better be able to support the next guy.

We need a team/system to support our strikers, to allow them to make the most of their abilities.

Any striker we buy that scores 20 PL goals in a season, will be on the next bus to Madrid/PSG/pick one, so the system better be able to support the next guy.

pretty much spot on imo. we need to look for types and build that dna into our youth set-up. not sure what type exactly (depends on the formation/what we're expecting of them)

this is what i thought many would say

but i think thats actually wrong. thats not what you fundamentally need, thats what you want from a super striker....but thats not what fundamentally strikers need in order to be overal successful

But I want a super striker...... ;)

so why do you want to drop Ade or kane for soldado?

so why do you want to drop Ade or kane for soldado?

On merit, Ade deserves the #1 spot.

If we play two up front, I still think it's in the better short term interest of the club to get Soldado back to form. That said, my opinion against Fulham was that Kane should have started, with the plan to give Soldado a good 20 minutes at the end, based on how Ade was playing, I would have actually subbed him and had Kane/Soldado finish the match,

My point is I think all strikers need service to be predictable, the last few games Ade spends more time in midfield than up front (he always had the habit of drifting wide, but now he goes back), no surprise he's been less effective.

We still need our midfield/wide players to know what kind of run/positioning our strikers will take up, therefore the strikers know where to get the ball, again, last game, bunch of deliveries into box with no one there to meet it.

Fundamentally speaking

what do people need / want from a striker?

At a striker's core, what are the most important traits needed for a striker to succeed?

At any level , on ANy team

Many ways to skin a cat, but as an attempt at finding some generalized truth:

- Ability to score: Pure finishing and shooting.
- Ability to get chances to score: Movement, dribbling/skills and physical ability.
- Ability to create chances for others: Technical ability, creativity, physical.
- Ability to partake in buildup play and defensive play. Size, skill, pace, work rate etc.

Finishing ability without the ability to get into a lot of scoring chances and do stuff for others won't get you all that far (Bent perhaps?). Just like creating chances for others and working hard for the team won't make you a top striker (Crouch). At the very least you need finishing/shooting ability and good ways to get into scoring chances yourself and/or create them for others. Most of the best strikers will score highly on at least 3 out of 4 of those I think.

Many ways to skin a cat, but as an attempt at finding some generalized truth:

- Ability to score: Pure finishing and shooting.
- Ability to get chances to score: Movement, dribbling/skills and physical ability.
- Ability to create chances for others: Technical ability, creativity, physical.
- Ability to partake in buildup play and defensive play. Size, skill, pace, work rate etc.

Finishing ability without the ability to get into a lot of scoring chances and do stuff for others won't get you all that far (Bent perhaps?). Just like creating chances for others and working hard for the team won't make you a top striker (Crouch). At the very least you need finishing/shooting ability and good ways to get into scoring chances yourself and/or create them for others. Most of the best strikers will score highly on at least 3 out of 4 of those I think.

Top post and agree with all of that - I do think it is hard to generalize though as it does ultimately depend on the style of football you want your team to play and hence the role you want your striker to play. Horses for courses as they say.

I think Bobby next season could be a great striker for us - put this season behind him, have a holiday, come back ready to fight. we do need to find a manager that will play to his strengths (TS does seem to prefer Ade at the moment) and build a system of play that works for him and everyone, but if we get all that bobs your uncle he will score a hatful. He's had one rank bad season but i for one dont want to write him off just yet. This season is a write off but he will be better next - he can't be much worse!

Kane has the harder job - he's still young but its unlikley that he will displace Ade or Bobby as first choice (even if TS is prefering him at the moment), but as a third choice striker he would be an excellent choice and if we do manage to get into the europa I would like to see him given more playing time to help aid his development. I would love for him to develop into the Sherry role for us, but he needs to bulk up more I think to be able to do tht. he has the skills its the physical attributes he needs to work on me thinks. ust my opinion

Last edited:
Top post and agree with all of that - I do think it is hard to generalize though as it does ultimately depend on the style of football you want your team to play and hence the role you want your striker to play. Horses for courses as they say.

I think Bobby next season could be a great striker for us - put this season behind him, have a holiday, come back ready to fight. we do need to find a manager that will play to his strengths (TS does seem to prefer Ade at the moment) and build a system of play that works for him and everyone, but if we get all that bobs your uncle he will score a hatful. He's had one rank bad season but i for one dont want to write him off just yet. This season is a write off but he will be better next - he can't be much worse!

Kane has the harder job - he's still young but its unlikley that he will displace Ade or Bobby as first choice (even if TS is prefering him at the moment), but as a third choice striker he would be an excellent choice and if we do manage to get into the europa I would like to see him given more playing time to help aid his development. I would love for him to develop into the Sherry role for us, but he needs to bulk up more I think to be able to do tht. he has the skills its the physical attributes he needs to work on me thinks. ust my opinion

What if he isn't better next season though, what if he is just marginally average? People said the same about Pav and Rebrov, but it just never happened.

Some players just aren't good at adapting to new environments.

I don't actually think Soldado is a great fit for the PL anyway looking at his raw attributes and style of play - i'd be tempted to get rid if we got any decent offer for him this summer.

Especially if we are in with a shout of getting someone like Lukaku

The more I think about our strikers the more and more I am coming round to the fact I would like the club to lead the line with Harry Kane as #1. (Is this the first signs of madness creeping in?)

The more I think about our strikers the more and more I am coming round to the fact I would like the club to lead the line with Harry Kane as #1. (Is this the first signs of madness creeping in?)

If we are playing 1 upfront next season then I think we need a new striker, I like that Kane looks quite good on the left coming inside. Next year I would be happy if our striker force was bony/ade/kane.

With the amount of attacking midfielders we have I assume we are only playing one up front.

Back