• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hakka at Wedding

Sandman

Dean Austin
Any of you guys seen the story this morning about the haka at a wedding in NZ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35370983

I have a couple of questions out there for any NZ spurs followers. When I want the All blacks take on England I always find it weird that the . . . .how do I put this . . . . Non Maori's do the Haka as well. As far as my knowledge goes the Haka is a tribal war dance. So these guys obviously not being part of a tribe unless you are classing the team as a Tribe?

But now with this being done in the wedding. I see what look like Tribal descendants doing the Hakka but also colonial decedents as well. so is the Haka now seen as a National thing? something to show pride in your country?

I cant help thinking, and correct me if im wrong. That its a lot of people who know not a lot about its roots getting in on the act.

I lived in NZ for two years. In short, unlike most many other westernised colonised nations, the indigenous Maori/Pacific Island people live harmoniously with European Kiwis (unlike Oz, the US etc where they have been treated disgracefully). Their culture is revered and considered a very, very important part of the nation's history and future. From a young age, children are taught to respect the indigenous culture and their teachings and this follows through on the most part into adult life.

European Kiwis are just as, and in some cases, even more proud of the origins of human settlement and culture in NZ as the Maoris and Pacific Islanders. Hence, the Haka is 100% seen as a very proud national institution. Also, both Maoris and European Kiwis wear greenstone (mostly necklaces), with various designs depicting spiritual meanings in Maori culture. I own one myself, which was gifted to me (the proper, non tourist shop ones are gifted, not bought by one-self) and I still wear it proudly. This isn't to say that there isn't any conflict between the two cultures (politically, economically and with regards to land ownership/selling off land).

I lived in NZ for two years. In short, unlike most many other westernised colonised nations, the indigenous Maori/Pacific Island people live harmoniously with European Kiwis (unlike Oz, the US etc where they have been treated disgracefully). Their culture is revered and considered a very, very important part of the nation's history and future. From a young age, children are taught to respect the indigenous culture and their teachings and this follows through on the most part into adult life.

European Kiwis are just as, and in some cases, even more proud of the origins of human settlement and culture in NZ as the Maoris and Pacific Islanders. Hence, the Haka is 100% seen as a very proud national institution. Also, both Maoris and European Kiwis wear greenstone (mostly necklaces), with various designs depicting spiritual meanings in Maori culture. I own one myself, which was gifted to me (the proper, non tourist shop ones are gifted, not bought by one-self) and I still wear it proudly. This isn't to say that there isn't any conflict between the two cultures (politically, economically and with regards to land ownership/selling off land).

Do you know what. That is really nice to know. I was afraid it was as you say in regard to the US and Australian a railroading of the indigenous culture, their values and how they are represented. But to know its brought up through the newer Kiwis is very cool. I wont look at the non Maori looking All blacks doing the Haka with such disdain now. If you are proud of the roots of your adopted country that is a very good thing to see.

Thanks for sharing that, really nice to know. Makes me want to pay new Zealand a visit.

Like Sandman I had wondered about this is as well, good to know people can get along. Maybe the world is such a s*** place after all.
Well done the kiwis

If I had a few hours to spare, I could post all the reasons why EVERYONE should visit NZ. It's a truly beautiful place, beautiful people and the lifestyle is fantastic if you're the outdoors type. It's probably about 10-15 years behind other western nations but in a lovely way.

NZ and Canada are very similar, in both natural beauty and view on the first nations, been to many a first nations event in Canada and its amazing....

Back