• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Guglielmo Vicario

nice level headed post there - he's an interesting character.

Vic's not got an issue, its something that has happened twice in quick succession. There was plenty more buffeting by Brentford and also Everton that he dealt with - you can't win them all. Punching might be better than slapping it away though....

Don’t really rate his analysis there
Showing how Brentford literally chase people away isn’t gonna work for us. Romero will get sent off for doing something stupid
Its tit for tat. And we wouldn't use Romero, he's got a market card. It would be someone like PEH or Skipp or Sarr.

I was pointing out what I understood as an informed position on why some teams and goalkeepers prefer not to put a defender in there with the goalkeeper to compete with the opponent.

I don't understand how you got from that to asking me if we should leave 3 opponents around our goalkeeper.

I'll restate my opinion as apparently that wasn't clear:

"Either Vic needs to be stronger and a bit more aggressive in how he deals with it himself (think keepers can get away with quite a lot in those situations) or he needs some help"

Wasn't meant as a dig at you. Just thinking we need to do something. Cause vicario needs help and be more aggressive as you say.

Don’t really rate his analysis there
Showing how Brentford literally chase people away isn’t gonna work for us. Romero will get sent off for doing something stupid
I think that analysis is quite good.

Shows both that this is difficult for many goalkeepers/teams, but just Vic and us.

Shows a potential solution. We wouldn't use Romero for that job anyway and I don't think we need to worry about unfair treatment from the refs.

I think that analysis is quite good.

Shows both that this is difficult for many goalkeepers/teams, but just Vic and us.

Shows a potential solution. We wouldn't use Romero for that job anyway and I don't think we need to worry about unfair treatment from the refs.
If Vic does his basics well we really don’t need to worry about refs

Watching the Brentford game Maupay did a pretty good job protecting his keeps from Dias despite the big difference in size. It turns into all put wrestling which is then very likely to lead to a clearer freekick for the defensive team if the ball goes in.

Yeah
Brentford don’t mark zonal.
We do
And we’re bloody good at it
We shouldn’t change the system because one player has some issues
The coaching team should help the player fix those issues if they believe he is good enough (and he is)
What needs to happen is Vicario moves. Just moves his feet a bit and then he naturally creates room and he can attempt to jump. He can also leave his line
The attacker isn’t going follow him if he moves into a more crowded area
It doesn’t take a lot but it needs Vic to be stronger and creative with his movement

I watched the video of the gaols he conceded at Empoli and quite a few were like the comers.

Yeah
Brentford don’t mark zonal.
We do
And we’re bloody good at it
We shouldn’t change the system because one player has some issues
The coaching team should help the player fix those issues if they believe he is good enough (and he is)
What needs to happen is Vicario moves. Just moves his feet a bit and then he naturally creates room and he can attempt to jump. He can also leave his line
The attacker isn’t going follow him if he moves into a more crowded area
It doesn’t take a lot but it needs Vic to be stronger and creative with his movement

I watched the video of the gaols he conceded at Empoli and quite a few were like the comers.
Why do one thing when we can do two? I'm sure Vicario is already working on things in training. But why shouldn't we do what Brentford are doing in that video and put a man on protection duty? One of the shorter players who wouldn't be a key defender anyway. I'm no expert on zonal marking, but would such a system really preclude assigning one man to a set task?

And yes, definitely not Romero!

Why do one thing when we can do two? I'm sure Vicario is already working on things in training. But why shouldn't we do what Brentford are doing in that video and put a man on protection duty? One of the shorter players who wouldn't be a key defender anyway. I'm no expert on zonal marking, but would such a system really preclude assigning one man to a set task?

Pass
I’m not the defensive coach
But we did have the best record in the league for defending set pieces so we must have been doing something right playing zonal
The only thing that changed was Vic got caught twice not jumping or moving. He just needs to do that and he will get the foul and they won’t do it again

Last edited:
Pass
I’m not the deceive coach
But we did have the best record in the league for defending set pieces so we must have been doing something right playing zonal
The only thing that changed was Vic got caught twice not jumping or moving. He just needs to do that and he will get the foul and they won’t do it again

It's just an arms race

- We are a lot better this year at defending set pieces, big part of that is Vicario comes for stuff (his predecessors didn't)
- City figured out you can "bend" the rules (not doing the argument again) and target the keeper physically, others copied
- We have to adapt

Welcome to football at the top level ..

It's just an arms race

- We are a lot better this year at defending set pieces, big part of that is Vicario comes for stuff (his predecessors didn't)
- City figured out you can "bend" the rules (not doing the argument again) and target the keeper physically, others copied
- We have to adapt

Welcome to football at the top level ..
Yep
Vicario is exceptional at crosses be takes at height
Ones at 2 metres flaps at for some reason

My impression has been that we play a mix of zonal marking and man marking and that this is pretty much the norm now.

It doesn't preclude assigning someone to that task. It would never be Romero, yes it can be someone a bit shorter.

By no means an expert on this or anything else so I may be wrong.

The team spirit at the moment is quite good and it was great to see how much the win meant to the players. Seems like they're all trying to push each other to be better and being supportive, and reveling in the successes as they come.

Back