• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Great albums of the 2000s?

This thread just goes to show how badly music fell off a cliff towards the end of the 90s.

There are some decent, albums on here that I suspect none of us would be ashamed to have been involved in. But the standard is so far below that of the 90s.

I'm now going to thoroughly contradict myself by putting forward:

Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
White Blood Cells
The Black Album
Songs in A Minor
Late Registration
Boy in da Corner (not really my thing in terms of style, but I recognise it for the good album that it is)

Very US-heavy decade in terms of the top albums I think. Certainly compared to the 90s.
I'd second the PJ Harvey album.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I second Kasabian by Kasabian - killer of an album. Much forgotten when they disappeared up their own ass

Sent from my Nexus 5X using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I met Tom in the summer randomly having breakfast at our local beefeater ... got a photo with him and my daughter (2 at the time so well confessed).

Really nice bloke talking about the home coming gig to celebrate wining the league which was fine until I told him I was Spurs... he was a little embarrassed as he said we were the best footballing side but it ain't always about being the most technical, "just ask Oasis"

Attachments

• IMG_6280.JPG
    IMG_6280.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes
Temperance Movement -Temperance Movement
Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing
Starsailor - Love is Here
Prefab Sprout - The Gunman and Other Stories
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Corrinne Bailey Rae -Corrinne Bailey Rae
Keane - Hopes and Fears
Springsteen - The Rising (if only for My City of Ruins)
Vahagn Stepanyan - Moonlight (It may be obscure, but if you like jazz fusion it is a great album)
-
Apologies -may have strayed into 2010's, with a couple of those, wasn't sure if you were going 21st century or strictly in decades still.

Last edited:
There's a lot of recent EDM/FutureBass/GlitchHop/Trap that I like, and if in album form might be worthy of a mention, - e.g Shawn Wasabi/TheFatRat/ABSRDST - but they tend not to produce albums but individual tracks and remixes.

Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes
Temperance Movement -Temperance Movement
Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing
Starsailor - Love is Here
Prefab Sprout - The Gunman and Other Stories
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Corrinne Bailey Rae -Corrinne Bailey Rae
Keane - Hopes and Fears
Springsteen - The Rising (if only for My City of Ruins)
Vahagn Stepanyan - Moonlight (It may be obscure, but if you like jazz fusion it is a great album)
-
Apologies -may have strayed into 2010's, with a couple of those, wasn't sure if you were going 21st century or strictly in decades still.
starsailor are/was a great band. My band we're offered a support gig with them on their come back tour but it got pulled

We're not talking 1970s or 1950s bad, but it's pretty fudgeing bad.

What's scaring me is that this decade has been significantly worse so far.

Fo me the 70"'s were full of great albums, Floyd, Spingsteen, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac, Sabbath, Dylan, Neil Young etc. 50's not so much though.

Fo me the 70"'s were full of great albums, Floyd, Spingsteen, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac, Sabbath, Dylan, Neil Young etc. 50's not so much though.
That was pretty much all a sound created in the late 60s though. That sound was refined and improved, but I don't consider it a 70s sound.

70s music that has its roots in the 70s is pretty fudging awful.

That was pretty much all a sound created in the late 60s though. That sound was refined and improved, but I don't consider it a 70s sound.

70s music that has its roots in the 70s is pretty fudgeing awful.
Other than ABBA, of course.

Well that bit is a good point which i can agree with, however there is a opinion that the birth of Punk helped a stagnent music scene wake up again and brought life back to it. I was never a fan of the Sex Pistols but Sid Viscous and his version of My Way helped stick a middle finger up the arse of a very complacent music order.

That was a shame - I think they are touring December with the original line up - am thinking of going. Did you ever support anyone famous?

Nah... we were the laziest band in the world. People used to joke that the Beatles would gig before us

Did support a band called Rubylux who were. I've lads and I'm the way up. Also supported white belt yellow tag who are now part of editors (Justin Loxley).

We mainly headlined locally to deceeng crowds but just got the point where it became an effort

Did get to open the local river festival which for at sound a lot but it's the largest free festival in Europe with 250,000 a day and we played probably to about 20,000

We did have some record companies sniffinga round and made a big error when we won a local comp and one of the judges was a music photographer who works with the mega bands. He thought we were great and said we reminded him of the killers when they started. He was chatty and told us to pop into his shop for some contacts.... we went to the pub instead to watch a Spurs game

We did have some record companies sniffinga round and made a big error when we won a local comp and one of the judges was a music photographer who works with the mega bands. He thought we were great and said we reminded him of the killers when they started. He was chatty and told us to pop into his shop for some contacts.... we went to the pub instead to watch a Spurs game

At least you got you priorities right. fudge fame, stardom, and riches beyond your imagination. They're overrated.

At least you got you priorities right. fudge fame, stardom, and riches beyond your imagination. They're overrated.

We did get paid about £400 a gig

But we worked it out when we were offered a record contract that we would need a £500k deal just To make it work

If you like bands like Joy Division or Interpol check out a band called October Drift... brilliant band and amazing live

Genuinely hope these guys make it

Nah... we were the laziest band in the world. People used to joke that the Beatles would gig before us

Did support a band called Rubylux who were. I've lads and I'm the way up. Also supported white belt yellow tag who are now part of editors (Justin Loxley).

We mainly headlined locally to deceeng crowds but just got the point where it became an effort

Did get to open the local knitting blog festival which for at sound a lot but it's the largest free festival in Europe with 250,000 a day and we played probably to about 20,000

There must be a few of us on here who were in bands/made music. We could start a thread where we can upload our music for a laugh; a kind of GG Factor. I'd start it, but someone will need to tell me how to upload a track?

There must be a few of us on here who were in bands/made music. We could start a thread where we can upload our music for a laugh; a kind of GG Factor. I'd start it, but someone will need to tell me how to upload a track?

Just googled some of our stuff and this game up

Is scary what you can find online and unfortunately none of our better stuff is there :(

Just googled some of our stuff and this game up

Is scary what you can find online and unfortunately none of our better stuff is there :(

Great energy. I like a bit of glamorous indie rock'n'roll ! (There's no escaping the internet) You had a good band there. I think there are a few musicians on this forum. Perhaps we should have jam session...

Can I mention Motown? yes the label started before the 70s, and yes they had lots of hits in the 60s...but as far as a sound is concerned, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye released several albums in the 70s that were of that decade'

Back