• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grealish

Mis-used? Like as an AM? Well that's how Poch prefers to use him so that's why Poch is happy to send him there again I guess

All comment about him from those that are into the youth set up is that his best position is as a CM, Dembele-like if you will.

He started the season there for Villa, and their forums were full of comment like "we should try to buy him" "its embarrassing our best player is a Spurs youngster" "He has to much time on the ball" "great vision, I wish our players made more runs"...

It was glowing, to say the least.

Then Bruce had a brainfart, decided it was better to play Whelan/Jedinak/hourahan in CM - get some proper cloggers in there - and pushed Onomah further forward.

From that point all comment flipped on its head to where he was average at best, hardly involved, useless, disinterested, should be dropped...

And, from the limited experience I have of watching him, I think its clear he is no AM.

Poch played him there as its a safe option for a rookie player to come and join a game, IMO - not necessarily because he seems him long term as an AM.

All comment about him from those that are into the youth set up is that his best position is as a CM, Dembele-like if you will.

He started the season there for Villa, and their forums were full of comment like "we should try to buy him" "its embarrassing our best player is a Spurs youngster" "He has to much time on the ball" "great vision, I wish our players made more runs"...

Then Bruce had a brainfart, decided it was better to play Whelan/Jedinak/hourahan in CM - get some proper cloggers in there - and pushed Onomah further forward.

From that point all comment flipped on its head to where he was average at best, hardly involved, useless, disinterested, should be dropped...

And, from the limited experience I have of watching him, I think its clear he is no AM.

Poch played him there as its a safe option for a rookie player to come and join a game, IMO - not necessarily because he seems him long term as an AM.
I know we disagree on Grealish being a CM, but Grealish was out injured from start of the season until mid October and I think it was when Grealish returned that Onomah was pushed further forward.....

I know we disagree on Grealish being a CM, but Grealish was out injured from start of the season until mid October and I think it was when Grealish returned that Onomah was pushed further forward.....

They played together plenty, I dont think its related. Though Im no Villa fan so I stand to be corrected.

Seemed much more to accommodate the aforementioned cloggers to me.

I dont think Poch sees him as a deep mid like the rest of us do. I just don't think he trusts Josh in that position at all. Forget about the rookie player angle, I can guarantee you won't see someone like Amos or Skipp playing as an AM because it's the safe option

Why is Josh being sent out on loan again when we are in need of defensive mids with Wanysma and Dembele possibly on their way out. Surely the time is now for Poch to trust in Josh a bit more dont you think? If not now then when.

They played together plenty, I dont think its related. Though Im no Villa fan so I stand to be corrected.

Seemed much more to accommodate the aforementioned cloggers to me.
Did you watch Villas game against Hull the other night? Grealish was constantly deep, he picked the ball up on the halfway line a lot of the time yet still got into advanced positions. I think debate from his position comes from the fact he gets all over the pitch, seems quite box to box....

I dont think Poch sees him as a deep mid like the rest of us do. I just don't think he trusts Josh in that position at all. Forget about the rookie player angle, I can guarantee you won't see someone like Amos or Skipp playing as an AM because it's the safe option

Why is Josh being sent out on loan again when we are in need of defensive mids with Wanysma and Dembele possibly on their way out. Surely the time is now for Poch to trust in Josh a bit more dont you think? If not now then when.
It does seem that rightly or wrongly Poch doesnt fancy the guy much - other players his age have been given more opportunity to impress without being sent out on loan at all and now potentially hes being loaned out again. Even Amos/Skipp are being talked about being in the squad now, I know hes injured currently but doesnt look good for him....

Honestly? I dont think he ever will. Ive held the view for a long time Onomah wont make it with us, despite his obvious talent - and now the like of Skipp and Amos are coming up behind him I suspect his time is up (or will be shortly).

Onomah never looks to me like he has the belief in himself to be there. He seems nervous, reserved, and even at times hides from play. You cant put that player in CM, but you can put him at AM hoping that being on the field builds confidence. I think Poch may well trust Skipp to play CM (as he did Winks), that he hasnt trusted Onomah there doesnt mean he doesnt recognise it as his best position (maybe!)

Did you watch Villas game against Hull the other night? Grealish was constantly deep, he picked the ball up on the halfway line a lot of the time yet still got into advanced positions. I think debate from his position comes from the fact he gets all over the pitch, seems quite box to box....

I didnt. From what Ive read Villa have very little quality, and very little game plan. It appears "give it to Grealish" and "otherwise just keep it tight" are how they play. Comments I read had Grealish as of no fixed position, simply being all over the place.

In the premier league this was not his job at all, he was an AM/#10 and that was it. Seems his responsibility has grown since.

I still dont see him as a CM, more an Eriksen/Alli type at this point. Though if we get him, and I see more, Im happy to see what I make of him then.

It does seem that rightly or wrongly Poch doesnt fancy the guy much - other players his age have been given more opportunity to impress without being sent out on loan at all and now potentially hes being loaned out again. Even Amos/Skipp are being talked about being in the squad now, I know hes injured currently but doesnt look good for him....

Onomah had two seasons on the fringes of the first team didn't he? Would suggest to me he never done enough in training to get a proper run out.

Having a good reputation at youth level gets you a foot in the door and a bit of patience but if you don't kick on from there then it's hard to argue your potential is what it was - that's how i see Onomah atm

Poch didn't trust Dembele in CM for quite a while, and used him sparingly as AM (with Mason and Bentaleb in CM) until he'd trained him how to transition the ball

The thing Onomah lacks in adult football compared to how he dominates U21s is physical strength. Which is something that comes with becoming a twentysomething rather than a teenager.

BREAKING NEWS

Aston Villa's new owners says Tottenham's £25m bid for Jack Grealish has been rejected outright

Guess there's nothing unusual about making a bid of £25m, having it rejected, then going back with an increased.

My concern is that Levy usually makes one bid then plays the "take it or leave it" card, when it comes to purchases anyway. It seems to infuriate other clubs and chairman to the point where they just don't want to deal with us.
No harm in haggling, thats the nature of transfer dealings, but it just seems Levy doesn't want to entertain that for fear of appearing to have lost face or gotten the better of publicly. All for a few million which, in grand scheme of things, really is ridiculous.

Now reports that Villa won't sell this window.

I read that as "Spurs, you've tinkled around too long over this. You had your chance and now it's all too late in the day for us to manage this transfer and get our replacements in. Come back next window."

Well done Levy. Well done. :mad::mad::mad:

other than last season he was a number 10 and people struggle with the fact they may change position, it coincided with his best season.

Back