• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grealish

And one more thing about Josh... I think some think he's still just a kid, but he's already made 65 appearances in men's English football at age 20. Sure, Grealish has about 150, but he's two years older.

I really think if Poch puts some faith in Josh in his proper position, we might be shocked at where he's at when he turns 23. A lot of Chelsea fans said that Loftus-Cheek would never make it at Chelsea, but look where he is now.

From a new piece from the Mirror (link)...

Jack Grealish is ready to quit Aston Villa this summer to return to Premier League.

Tottenham lead the race for the talented attacking midfielder, though chairman Daniel Levy is yet to actually open the bidding as he bides his time to exploit Villa’s cash woes.
But MirrorSport understands the 22-year-old does expect them to come in for him.

Grealish stands to land a bumper five-year deal, which will see his current £20,000-a-week salary in the Championship rocket.

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino wants him to give England ace Dele Alli competition for the role playing behind Harry Kane.
————

That last line makes me a little nervous. The Mirror probably know nothing and #trustPoch, but there's very little in Grealish's early career that makes me think he'll be anywhere like productive enough to play Dele's role.

And one more thing about Josh... I think some think he's still just a kid, but he's already made 65 appearances in men's English football at age 20. Sure, Grealish has about 150, but he's two years older.

I really think if Poch puts some faith in Josh in his proper position, we might be shocked at where he's at when he turns 23. A lot of Chelsea fans said that Loftus-Cheek would never make it at Chelsea, but look where he is now.

This. I don't doubt that Onomah has talent - there's something in him that all our coaches (Poch and co. included) keep seeing. But it's equally mystifying why he's been played so often at CAM by coach after coach, despite impressing as a DM for the England youth teams.

I can only imagine it's because of some ability to drive forward that young Josh has or shows in training. But it rarely, if ever, comes off in actual games, and he just looks lost and disinterested as a result.

If there’s one coach who doesn’t need to be told to put faith in a young player it’s Poch. He’s obviously not thought he’s ready for good reason. Loftus Cheek had a great season out on loan at Palace, that’s why he’s where he is now. Onomah didn’t exactly set the world alight in the Championship, and he certainly wasn’t anywhere close to having the impact Grealish did for Villa last season who according to some on here is rubbish....

I don't know that much about Shashoua, but I totally agree with the sentiment. I'd love to give all those Sissoko minutes to Onomah this season. For me, he'd be the perfect super athletic player to replace Sissoko, and I'd so much rather develop our own (maybe Oakley-Boothe too?) rather than investing in decent prospects from other teams.

I'd be more than happy if we only spent big on replacing Dembele (one of Kovacic, NDombele, Loftus-Cheek), Alderweireld (De Ligt, Maguire, Lascelles), and possibly adding a forward (Martial?). Otherwise, let's rely on our youth team to replace our marginal players.

Grealish seems like an opportunistic signing (a little like Barkley), and I'd love to see us pass on him and bring through another one of our own.

That's exactly my thinking

Bring in big players to replace senior ones departing - Kovacic for Dembele, Martial for Llorente/Janssen and De Ligt for Alder, but use the academy graduates to fill the 6th AM/5th CM type positions in the squad. It brings better harmony and teamspirit.

Imagine the fuss Grealish will kick up if he gets Nkoudou's minutes, which is likely to happen now we have Moura and Lamela back (who themselves weren't getting as many minutes in the run-in as their form deserved).

That's exactly my thinking

Bring in big players to replace senior ones departing - Kovacic for Dembele, Martial for Llorente/Janssen and De Ligt for Alder, but use the academy graduates to fill the 6th AM/5th CM type positions in the squad. It brings better harmony and team spirit.
Would Sir like to use his credit card to cover this?
Imagine the fuss Grealish will kick up if he gets Nkoudou's minutes, which is likely to happen now we have Moura and Lamela back (who themselves weren't getting as many minutes in the run-in as their form deserved).

Grealish, IF he came will be well aware of his first-team chances. Nkoudou's lack of time was in direct proportion to his effect when he did get on and also in training?

They have to earn the first team place, that is now tough at Spurs.

Would Sir like to use his credit card to cover this?

Martial for Alder - direct swap
Kovacic - £40m buyout
De Ligt - is being talked about £50m

Could we then raise a big chunk of £90m by selling Dembele, Sissoko, Nkoudou, Janssen and Llorente? I reckon so.

Martial for Alder - direct swap
Kovacic - £40m buyout
De Ligt - is being talked about £50m

Could we then raise a big chunk of £90m by selling Dembele, Sissoko, Nkoudou, Janssen and Llorente? I reckon so.

Closer to £40m imho......but like your optimism so ill go with your figures.

It will also be easier to clear your credit card damage in this aeon...;)

If there’s one coach who doesn’t need to be told to put faith in a young player it’s Poch. He’s obviously not thought he’s ready for good reason. Loftus Cheek had a great season out on loan at Palace, that’s why he’s where he is now. Onomah didn’t exactly set the world alight in the Championship, and he certainly wasn’t anywhere close to having the impact Grealish did for Villa last season who according to some on here is rubbish....

I must admit i am not that convinced about Grealish, however i agree that if Poch wants him he can obviously see something he believes he can work on and improve. As for Onomah i still see nothing in is game that suggests he will become a big player for us and as you say he did not pull up any trees last season in a decent team like Villa.

I must admit i am not that convinced about Grealish, however i agree that if Poch wants him he can obviously see something he believes he can work on and improve. As for Onomah i still see nothing in is game that suggests he will become a big player for us and as you say he did not pull up any trees last season in a decent team like Villa.

Onomah looked at least as good as and iMO better than Loftus Cheek playing at the same ages groups (comparing them like for like) and if I’m right Loftus Cheek has the benefit of playing for Southgate for the under 21s so was a known qty to him

Onomah player centre mid at a club that actually keeps him there would be a true measure

Don’t forget we as a club have a plan for players we wanna keep and ones we don’t including recognising who are late developers physically (onomah needs to bulk up for me)

But back onto Grealish, he can certainly play but it all comes down to the £££ for me as he would be a gamble and needs to be at the right price

It's difficult to judge players in age group games, all you see who has developed quicker in that group, the real test is against experienced men and until there is a proper reserve league young players will only be tested on loan. The loan system is very patchy and few of our players have been successful on loan. With managers getting the sack so quickly few are prepared to gamble.

Grealish would be able to hit the ground running.... Will give us depth and options immediately

Im not sure he would.

When I look at him I generally think 3 things:
- seems a bit of a taco (albeit calmed down recently)
- obviously has talent
- No idea where he actually plays

Im not against signing him, but I do think if he comes in itll take time to find his spot in the set up, get him up to speed, and even up to fitness.

If we buy him, I wouldnt envisage him being much use until we get a few months into the season at least.

Im not sure he would.

When I look at him I generally think 3 things:
- seems a bit of a taco (albeit calmed down recently)
- obviously has talent
- No idea where he actually plays

Im not against signing him, but I do think if he comes in itll take time to find his spot in the set up, get him up to speed, and even up to fitness.

If we buy him, I wouldnt envisage him being much use until we get a few months into the season at least.

We've got a very settled team

Other than maybe a fit again Winks coming in for Dembele and resolving the Alder situation, I think we can all predict the team for the first month or two of the season

Even a top drawer players will need to bide their time, like Moura did at the end of last season. An Nkoudou replacement like Grealish will probably have to wait for the league cup campaign.

We've got a very settled team

Other than maybe a fit again Winks coming in for Dembele and resolving the Alder situation, I think we can all predict the team for the first month or two of the season

Even a top drawer players will need to bide their time, like Moura did at the end of last season. An Nkoudou replacement like Grealish will probably have to wait for the league cup campaign.
Anyone got any updates on Winks?

Back